HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I’m definitely on board with that!

Side note, is this project really “canceled” in its current form or is it just on hold until the infrastructure costs are (hopefully) figured out?
Currently the PDC and Zidell have discontinued negotiations over their development agreement. Zidell officially "suspended" construction plans.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 7:50 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Currently the PDC and Zidell have discontinued negotiations over their development agreement. Zidell officially "suspended" construction plans.
Well that sucks, guess that is gonna be a dirt lot for the next decade or so.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 9:21 PM

Eminent domain?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 11:27 PM

Would a new MLB park fit between the Ross Island Bridge and the Tram terminal...? Maybe incorporate the terminal in the park design...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:49 AM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Would a new MLB park fit between the Ross Island Bridge and the Tram terminal...? Maybe incorporate the terminal in the park design...
What about between the Ross and tillikum?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:11 AM

I may be wrong but I don’t think that is part of the Zidell parcels. Right?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:18 AM
A before E

That would actually be a great spot for a ball park with its proximity to one light rail line and the streetcar. Plus they could incorporate a light rail station that allows other lines to depart from the stadium during game time.

Plus with the positioning of the stadium, it would allow for the Tillicum to be a backdrop for the outfield.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I may be wrong but I don’t think that is part of the Zidell parcels. Right?
It is Zidell owned land.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:25 PM

You could definitely fit a ballpark between the Ross Island and Tilikum.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
It is Zidell owned land.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:50 PM
RCTID

I'm sure the powers that be know all the options and have their targets, but that would be a prime spot for a park on the water and to have bridge views as a backdrop. Would also really help tie the south water front to downtown.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:47 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
You could definitely fit a ballpark between the Ross Island and Tilikum.
For a few reasons, it seems likely that the Zidells will probably not have their land used for a baseball stadium. Their lofty aspirations are illustrated by the visionary plans that they have presented so far. And while the infrastructure costs have created a roadblock, I think that the City and the Zidells were not THAT far apart when talks ended. They could soon be back at the table...especially if Trump succeeds in putting the brakes on the US economy. The City and Zidells could benefit from lower construction costs were the next recession to intercede.

Furthermore there are higher and better uses for the land than a baseball stadium. Growth related to OHSU and any bio tech spinoffs would best be accommodated on the Zidell property. The Portland Public Schools HQ building would be a better site for a baseball stadium. Both MAX and Streetcar pass nearby.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:41 PM

A ballpark would be a shame of a use for such a riverfront site.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 4:25 PM

Would it? It would be a lot better than an empty dirt lot for another decade.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 PM

I think as long as the stadium itself was well designed a waterfront location would be awesome. Something like AT&T park in SF. Then step up with taller buildings as you get further from the river.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:18 PM

some chatter @ reddit...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/co...e_the_perfect/

excerpt
"But what about Zidell?
It’s a now-available 33 acre site directly on the Willamette. The stadium could potentially sit directly on the Willamette between the Tilikum and Ross Island bridges, with a view of Mt Hood in the distance and Marquam Hill looming overhead; the view would be unreal and iconically Portland. The site is possibly the most accessible in the entire city, and a stadium there would be among the most accessible in baseball; you have the Orange Line + two Streetcar lines that right right across the Tilikum. TriMet & Metro are progressing toward building the new SW Corridor line right near there, which would connect the site with Portland's southwest suburbs; some of the metro region’s fastest growing areas. Plus I-5/I-405 are immediately adjacent there (with ramps) too.
A stadium at the Zidell yards would also be a boon for South Waterfront development.
Here’s where I think it gets interesting. What if the Zidell family joined with the Portland Diamond Project as potential co-owners of an MLB team? All of a sudden, the Portland Diamond Project has access to an amazing site at no cost as well as a well-capitalized new investor. The Zidells get an amazing anchor for the development plans, and probably new leverage for negotiating with the city. A lot of their former plans, for housing and office space, would likely be transferable to a stadium-orientated development. With 33 acres, there would be enough space for it. And if Zidell developed the area around the stadium, they'd essentially own the neighborhood around a stadium. Look to Wrigleyville to see how valuable that could be.
More of an “well, that’s interesting” than an actual argument in favor is the fact there is a history of former shipbuilders becoming MLB owners (hello, Steinbrenners).
I’m sure there are potential roadblocks (you’d need to rework access to I-5 and potentially tweak SW Corridor MAX plans) and I’ve yet to see a single thing online suggesting this is being considered but on the face of it, it certainly seems like a possibility.
What do you think?"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:17 AM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Furthermore there are higher and better uses for the land than a baseball stadium. Growth related to OHSU and any bio tech spinoffs would best be accommodated on the Zidell property. The Portland Public Schools HQ building would be a better site for a baseball stadium. Both MAX and Streetcar pass nearby.
Let me get my head around this thought.

Far better uses for the land which is a prime spot on the water where the public currently has no access would be more office buildings?

A stadium designed for access to and views of the water (as well as the city and mountains) while incorporating the south waterfront neighborhood as well as connecting that area to the rest of downtown while being a community center piece drawing large crowds many days of the week is a worse use than office buildings? Let’s not forget the economic boon this would be for tourism, restaurants, growth, etc.

Yeah, much worse use.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:53 AM

I suppose it depends what is done to make the ballpark area accessible and active on the most of the year when there isn't a game and the stadium is just a big empty lump, where you put the parking and/or if you're going to build a MLB stadium without parking, how you handle the traffic to and from.

Most baseball stadium areas I know of are pretty dead almost all year.

The Ziddell concept was for mixed uses with lots of waterfront access and public space.

Baseball stadium, plenty of waterfront access and public space, might not leave much room for other revenue generating uses. Not sure a MLB baseball stadium generates enough revenue for the landowner to be more attractive than mixed use. And if the major professional team up and leaves, the landowner is stuck with a useless facility.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:17 AM

Personally I think that would be a great location for a stadium--obviously the "other" concept isnt working either--but its really up to the landholder--time will tell I guess

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:27 PM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
I suppose it depends what is done to make the ballpark area accessible and active on the most of the year when there isn't a game and the stadium is just a big empty lump, where you put the parking and/or if you're going to build a MLB stadium without parking, how you handle the traffic to and from.

Most baseball stadium areas I know of are pretty dead almost all year.

The Ziddell concept was for mixed uses with lots of waterfront access and public space.

Baseball stadium, plenty of waterfront access and public space, might not leave much room for other revenue generating uses. Not sure a MLB baseball stadium generates enough revenue for the landowner to be more attractive than mixed use. And if the major professional team up and leaves, the landowner is stuck with a useless facility.
Valid points, but I am not sure what stadiums you are referencing that are new and dead around the ball parks? St. Louis has built a whole entertainment village right across the street and keeps the area active all year round. Baltimore opens the walkway between the warehouse and the park on non game days to allow access to the park. San Diego has their whole outfield open and accessible on non games days turning it into a community park. All are busy and have foot traffic on non game days.

I could see something similar with a ballpark on the water at this location. Areas accessible on non game days that would be park of the stadium otherwise. Vendors (think food carts) available this way as well.

Plus, with the other entertainment and restaurant options sure to open around the stadium will keep it busy. A venue this size could host more than just baseball as well. The Rose Quarter had so much potential if Allen actually developed the area. I believe the PDP will develop the area and not just plop a park and call it good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment