HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:18 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Ottawa now at 17.

Gatineau at 1 after a suspicious death in early October is now classified as a homicide.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:55 AM

The last update I have seen for Winnipeg was 19 homicides back in early to mid-October. I can't seem to find any updates since then.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa now at 17.

Gatineau at 1 after a suspicious death in early October is now classified as a homicide.
assez bizarre la différence entre les 2. Gatineau compte pour environ 30% de la population.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:15 AM

That's a lot for Edmonton, 39 is pretty bad.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 10:41 AM
be nice to the crackheads

A man was shot in the head in West Kelowna on Sunday. Not sure if he'll make it.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Ottawa had its 17th homicide, in the wee hours this morning. The victim was stabbed out by the St Laurent shopping mall.
Most reports are putting the actual location as either in or just outside a restaurant/bar called Piper's. A rather sketchy place.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:37 PM

I wonder if this is a new normal for Ottawa or just a fluke? Toronto and Hamilton are both relatively high for 2016.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 10:17 PM

The latest Ottawa victim was a 4th year international UofO student from Nigeria. The alleged perpetrator has been apprehended.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I wonder if this is a new normal for Ottawa or just a fluke? .
This is a good question.

These days, it seems there isn't a night that goes by without some form of violent mayhem in Ottawa. No murders last night but three people were stabbed in two separate incidents in and around the downtown Byward Market district.

I am not saying this will happen to Ottawa, but we've seen in many cities how a certain level of violence can become "normal" and part of the scenery.

OTOH, other factors can lead to a precipitous drop in violent crime as in Montreal which 20 years ago I believe sometimes had close to 100 murders or more, and right now sits at under 20 for the year.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 3:45 PM

Montreal has 20 after a man was shot in the west island. It's the third homicide in a little over a week.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^Jesus.
First time I've ever known someone who got murdered. I knew the guy for a few days but it's still an odd feeling.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 5:03 PM

Had a friend in Calgary Murdered a few years ago. The hurt never goes away. It is also tough when the perpetrator is in court and you have to listen to stuff you know is false. In the end the guy got 20 years.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
assez bizarre la différence entre les 2. Gatineau compte pour environ 30% de la population.
It isn't that bizarre. The entire province of Québec is having a very quiet year almost everywhere even in Montréal. I think the provincial total is 31 or something to the end of October (It lists Québec City's one murder). Also, the murders in Ottawa seem to be partly gang warfare and domestic violence. And most of the population lives on the Ontario side as do the crazy gang members and violent relationships. It is also probably luck, too. On the list below, 6, and 8 were domestic. 7 and 9 were drugs. 12 was drugs or domestic. At least 3 of the first 5 were gang-related.

I had biked by the house of the most recent murder in Québec City. And I lived on a street (in England) where there was a murder (in a year when a town of 120,000 had 6 murders - it was exceptional - my sister knew the only random victim - the others were all domestics (or the victim and perpetrator knew each other), including the one on my street)

http://homicidecanada.com/category/october-2016/

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...ll-rises-to-15

Québec City and metro are both at 1.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 4:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post
It isn't that bizarre. The entire province of Québec is having a very quiet year almost everywhere even in Montréal. I think the provincial total is 31 or something to the end of October (It lists Québec City's one murder). Also, the murders in Ottawa seem to be partly gang warfare and domestic violence. And most of the population lives on the Ontario side as do the crazy gang members and violent relationships. It is also probably luck, too. On the list below, 6, and 8 were domestic. 7 and 9 were drugs. 12 was drugs or domestic. At least 3 of the first 5 were gang-related.
That's what is very puzzling about the Ottawa murder spike - it's not really predominantly gangs fighting for territory or something. Like you would expect when something like this happens in a normally quiet city.

As for Gatineau, yes you would expect some spillover from Ottawa but so far there has been very little. Ottawa gang members obviously do come over here for a variety of reasons. And of course we have our share of domestic violence too.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
That's what is very puzzling about the Ottawa murder spike - it's not really predominantly gangs fighting for territory or something. Like you would expect when something like this happens in a normally quiet city.

As for Gatineau, yes you would expect some spillover from Ottawa but so far there has been very little. Ottawa gang members obviously do come over here for a variety of reasons. And of course we have our share of domestic violence too.
Gang-related violence isn't always about "turf". There's also the settling of scores. In Ottawa's case this year, I have the sense that there may also be a few drug deals gone bad.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:

Uneven distribution of murders. Lévis accounts for about 15-20% of the population of Greater Québec City and hasn't had a murder since 2002 (The guy who shot the kid accidentally in 2012 has just been convicted - he got 4 years). The suburbs simply tend to be safer than the main cities. Also, uneven distribution in time and location is normal for murders.

Since 2003, Québec City has averaged about 5 murders a year. Which means that about 70 people have been killed on the North Shore and none on the South Shore. Though, one should remember that 2 people were killed in St-Croix and 2 in St-Isidore in 2015 (the same crime - crazy religious dad killed his ex, her new boyfriend and his 2 daughters) both of which are just outside Lévis and he drove through Lévis to commit the murders.

Here is a link from the LA times about why Montréal is so safe.
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-...nap-story.html

Last edited by Oliver May; Nov 11, 2016 at 2:49 PM. Reason: Explaining the link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 2:47 PM
Look at me!

^The comments in that LA times article are hilarious. The funniest one was to paraphrase, "Montreal is safer because of population density - it is less dense than Philly and Phoenix".

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 2:51 PM

Interesting to see that article refer to organized crime as a possible element in the low homicide rate. I hadn't considered that it reflected a consensus to keep things calm to avoid police crackdown - my first thought has been that it means somebody has gained total control over organized crime in the city. I think I prefer the LA times explanation.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 3:54 PM

LA times seems unnaware that the Rizzutos are being wiped out as we speak.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 4:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post
Uneven distribution of murders. Lévis accounts for about 15-20% of the population of Greater Québec City and hasn't had a murder since 2002 (The guy who shot the kid accidentally in 2012 has just been convicted - he got 4 years). The suburbs simply tend to be safer than the main cities. Also, uneven distribution in time and location is normal for murders.

Since 2003, Québec City has averaged about 5 murders a year. Which means that about 70 people have been killed on the North Shore and none on the South Shore. Though, one should remember that 2 people were killed in St-Croix and 2 in St-Isidore in 2015 (the same crime - crazy religious dad killed his ex, her new boyfriend and his 2 daughters) both of which are just outside Lévis and he drove through Lévis to commit the murders.

Here is a link from the LA times about why Montréal is so safe.
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-...nap-story.html
Gatineau is not really suburban in the traditional sense. Neither is Lévis, but Gatineau is even less so.

Lévis has at its heart a dense and older core area, that looks more like a smallish regional Quebec city's downtown.

Gatineau's downtown is quite a bit bigger and more typical of a larger city's downtown. We also have lots of fairly large seedy areas in our downtown and even in other parts of the city.

This is not a prim and proper city. There are lots of places where violent crime could take root.

Also, it's easier to cross from Ottawa to Gatineau than it is from Quebec City to Lévis. The river is not as wide and there are more bridges and short transit links.

You can walk from downtown Ottawa to downtown Gatineau (Vieux-Hull) in 5-10 minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada