HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 2:54 PM

Cathedral Commons

Here are two photos I took yesterday of the Cathedral Commons development on Wisconsin Avenue in Cathedral Heights/Cleveland Park. It looks like the south parcel (where the new Giant grocery store will be) is almost above ground at this point.

This photo is from the north parcel, where the residential units will be located.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 2:57 PM

Tenleytown walking tour

If anyone is interested, there will be a walking tour next Saturday (10 AM - 12 PM).to discuss smart growth opportunities and challenges in Tenley. I will be attending this. The event is hosted collaboratively by Ward 3 Vision and the Coalition for Smarter Growth (CSG). If you're interested, be sure to register via CSG's website.

Here is a Greater Greater Washington post about this event: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...s-and-futures/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 5:20 PM

D.C. United stadium deal questioned by council (Washington Post)

D.C. United stadium deal questioned by council

Image courtesy of the Washington Post.

By Aaron C. Davis
September 25, 2013
Washington Post

"A briefing for the D.C. Council on the tentative deal to build a soccer stadium near Nationals Park quickly produced a laundry list of questions Tuesday about the project’s costs and timeline.

Council members Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) and David Catania (I-At large) dominated the discussion saying they were skeptical the city had done enough research and could verify the best deal for taxpayers.

Council chairman Phil Mendelson (D-At large) also said he worried the deal could not be vetted and voted on before an apparent January deadline for the council to act..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...852_story.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 5:23 PM

353-Unit Apartment Project For Reservation 13 Moving Forward

353-Unit Apartment Project For Reservation 13 Moving Forward

September 24, 2013
By Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"On Tuesday, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) announced that Donatelli Development and Blue Skye have been chosen to move forward with the first phase of redevelopment for Reservation 13.

The first phase calls for a two-building plan, at 19th Streets and Massachusetts Avenue SE (map), which would include 20,000 square feet of ground floor retail and 353 total apartments, ranging in size from 750 to 1250 square feet. The plan is for more than 30 percent of the units to be set aside for tenants making 60 percent of the Area Median Income or less. There will also be 225 underground parking spaces...."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...g_forward/7603

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:29 PM
life is good

I think Bowser is wrong to worry that only one developer responded. The renders are nice and the neighbors of Preservation 13 have been begging for the redevelopment to start. This seems like a great first phase to me. What do you think 202?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I think Bowser is wrong to worry that only one developer responded. The renders are nice and the neighbors of Preservation 13 have been begging for the redevelopment to start. This seems like a great first phase to me. What do you think 202?
Honestly, I am not that familliar with this development but RFK and the area next to RFK stadium is a huge opportunity. Hopefully DC United can move to Buzzards Point to help redevelop this entire area.

I will try and post a photo over the next day or two of the lot next to the Velocity condos in the Capitol Riverfront neighborhood that Toll Brothers is developing. There was a crane there this morning.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:12 PM

The Yards

The Washington Business Journal article has a link to several of the renderings for Forest City's development, including the planned theater.

Up close with Forest City Washington's latest Capitol Riverfront plans

Michael Neibauer
Washington Business Journal
Sept. 27, 2013

"As Forest City Washington’s latest plans for Capitol Riverfront wind through the District’s zoning approval process, we’re getting the best images so far of the developer’s eye-popping designs.

The project, an extension of The Yards immediately east of Nationals Park, will include three buildings — a 95,000-square-foot, 16-screen, 2,500-seat Showplace Icon movie theater with 331 parking spaces and 2,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, and two mixed-use buildings with roughly 600 units and 35,000 square feet of retail between them..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...shingtons.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 12:52 PM
life is good

17 Story building begins construction in Bethesda:
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo.../7634#comments
7770 Norfolk, a 17-story, 244 apartment project in Bethesda, will begin construction at the end of the week.
Note the comment also which has pictures of the site at present.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:13 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard

There is quite a bit going on in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood these days. All the photos below were taken by me.

Forest City's 1212 (http://www.capitolriverfront.org/go/the-yards). This will have 218 residential units, a Harris Teeter grocery store, and a Vida Fitness, among other retail. Notice that the castle turret was preserved because of its historical significance.

Park Chelsea (http://www.parkchelseadc.com/). This will have 433 residential units and a Whole Foods located on the ground-floor.

Toll Brothers (http://www.jdland.com/dc/square699n.cfm?tab=no2). Toll Brothers, traditionally a developer of suburban single-family homes, is building a 287-unit residential building on Half Street and K Street, right next to the Velocity condos and Justin's. I emailed the project manager at Toll Brothers, and unfortunately, this will not include ground-floor retail. As an added bonus, however, notice the construction of the tower crane in this photo. I don't mean to sound like a four-year old but this made my morning!

In total, there are nearly one thousand residential units under construction right now just in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood. Most importantly, however, I learned via Facebook that Bluejacket hopes to be open by the end of October.

Last edited by 202_Cyclist; Oct 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:19 PM
Chairman

^^^ I see a crawler being assembled. Where is the tower crane base?

-sb

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
^^^ I see a crawler being assembled. Where is the tower crane base?
Mea culpa--- you're right, it is a bigger crane being installed now. It looks like the crane's base will be installed later today.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:38 PM

1212 Update

Speaking of Forest City's 1212 development, Prince of Petworth posted this today:

Penthouse Lounge with Swimming Pool Coming to Navy Yard

"According to a recent liquor license application for 1212 4th Street, SE they will also have:

“A Penthouse Lounge with Swimming Pool and ancillary food and beverage service. There will be occasional DJ performances and recorded music. Summer Garden with 235 Seats. Live Entertainment. Total Occupancy Load 299.”

Hours of operation are listed at Sunday through Thursday: 8am-2am, Friday and Saturday: 8am-3am."

http://www.popville.com/2013/10/pent...-to-navy-yard/

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 3:54 PM

14th Street

New attempt to develop old lot on D.C.'s 14th Street corridor

By Michael Neibauer
Oct. 4, 2013

"There will be another attempt to fill a large vacant lot on D.C.’s 14th Street corridor with apartments.

The 9,000-square-foot rectangular parcel at 1412 Chapin St. NW was once home to The Berkshire, until that apartment building was destroyed by fire in late 1996. It’s been vacant since, but not for lack of trying.

In 2010, Dantes Partners LLC received Zoning Commission approval to build a 44-unit affordable multi-family building on the property, which sits one lot from 14th Street, just north of Florida Avenue. But that project stalled and the property was sold in July to 1412 Chapin LLC for $2 million..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...acant-lot.html

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:56 PM

Toll Brothers

Here is a link for a rendering of the Toll Brothers development: https://mobile.twitter.com/jakesause...ame=jakesauser . It is pretty pathetic that thee isn't any ground-floor retail but I suppose that is to be expected with a developer that is used to pave & destroy suburban tract homes.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 5:37 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Most importantly, however, I learned via Facebook that Bluejacket hopes to be open by the end of October.
Beer thirty

Nice round up.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 6:24 PM

350-Unit Apartment Building Coming to NoMa

350-Unit Apartment Building Coming to NoMa

By Shilpi Paul
Urban Turf
Oct. 4, 2013

"Earlier this week, JBG Companies presented plans for a new 350-unit residential building at 33 N Street NE to the ANC 6C Planning and Zoning Committee.

33 N Street NE (map) is currently the address of a low-rise office building; JBG plans to build a large apartment building, rising up to 130 feet, at the space. The ground level would have 5,000 square feet of retail, and there would be three levels of underground parking, with a total of 208 spaces. The plans also reveal a small rooftop pool and terrace area..."

http://assets.urbanturf.com/dc/image.../1-33N_550.jpg

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 7:10 PM

Tenley walking tour

Here are some photos from the Tenley smart growth walking tour, sponsored by Ward 3 Vision and the Coalition for Smarter Growth (http://www.smartergrowth.net/) a few weeks ago.

First, here are some renderings of American University's new Washington College of Law, which is currently under construction. The current law school is located in a semi-suburban location along Massachusetts Ave in the Spring Valley neighborhood. The new location is at AU's Tenley campus, a short walk from the metro station and in a location that is well-served by several bus routes. Although there wasn't time to discuss this during the walking tour, the area immediately south of Tenley Circle and the AU Tenley campus is ripe for redevelopment. There is a one-story liquor store with a surface parking lot, a 7-11 with a surface parking lot, and a strip-mall with an Hour Eye's and Chipolte, also with surface parking.

Cityline condos

Babe's Billards

This site has sat vacant on a prominent corner in Tenley for nearly a decade now. Douglas Development will begin construction early next year on a mixed-use development that will have ground-floor retail (rumors of a Matchbox restaurant) and approximately sixty residential units. Notably, this development will not have any off-site parking for residents. Additionally, the developer has agreed to contribute funding to bury the overhead utility wires as part of the development agreement.

I always have to wonder what people are thinking when they say that the Height Act should absolutely not be changed anywhere in Washington, regardless of how far away marginally taller buildings will be from the L'Enfant core. There are currently these 300-400 foot radio towers in Tenley that have not impacted the views of the Capitol, memorials, or Washington Monument one bit, but a 17-story building eight miles from the L'Enfant core will ruin views?

Fort Reno building

I noticed this vacant building that is located on the corner of Fort Reno property (a historic Civil War site). I inquired about this and was told that the National Park Service owns this building, located on the corner of 41st Street and Chesapeake. I've emailed Eleanor Holmes-Norton's staff about selling or donating this building, as it is an embarrassment to the National Park Service in its current condition. It has weeds and plants growing on all sides of it, the windows are boarded up, and there is a lot of trash around the building. This could be redeveloped into a small neighborhood cafe or office space for a local non-profit agency. Selling these vacant, unused federal properties is a win-win-win-win. The federal government earns revenue, the District gets a taxable property, jobs are created, and it is one less abandoned, vacant space in a neighborhood that continues to develop.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:15 PM

Renderings and Details of the Park at Georgetown’s West Heating Plant

When the federal government sells vacant and unused property, it is a win-win-win-win outcome. I am glad to see the landscape architect who designed the Georgetown waterfront park will be designing the open space and park land next to the heating plant building.

Renderings and Details of the Park at Georgetown’s West Heating Plant

October 9, 2013
By Shilpi Paul
Urban Turf

"On Tuesday night, the team behind the redevelopment of Georgetown’s West Heating Plant revealed renderings and details of the much-anticipated project.

After a team made up of architect Richard Levy, The Georgetown Co., and The Four Seasons won the right to redevelop Georgetown’s West Heating Plant, folks have been eager to know more about the plans for the plant and surrounding acreage, located near 29th and K Streets NW (map). Last spring, it was announced that the building will be turned into 80 high-end condos..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ing_plant/7668

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 1:24 PM

NV Commercial joins Bozzuto to develop new D.C. condos

The two floors of parking is unfortunate but this is otherwise an attractive building.

NV Commercial joins Bozzuto to develop new D.C. condos

By Michael Neibauer
Oct. 11, 2013

"Tysons-based NV Commercial has joined the Bozzuto Group as a venture partner in the transformation of a Mount Vernon Triangle warehouse into a 63-unit condo building.

The deal closed Thursday, said Peter Lunt, NV Commercial principal. NV invested a little less than $4 million in the roughly $20 million project.

“We think there’s a real shortage of condos in the Mount Vernon submarket,” Lunt told me. “There’s just nothing there now to speak of in terms of supply. We just think the area’s great..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...o-develop.html

Here is a link for two of the renderings: http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...=image_gallery.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 1:32 PM
life is good

Hmm. Interesting. Not sure if I like it or not...

Regardless, MVT is an amazing neighborhood. Every metro line is nearby (as well as Union Station), some of the best restaurants in the city, bars, clubs, museums/the Mall are close.. love it.

Edit:
A A Look Inside Brookland’s Monroe Street Market
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...et_market/7691

Brookland Works, located at 716 Monroe Street NE (map), has a total of 152 apartments, with 26 set aside as artist studios. Amenities include a gym, conference area, urban mountain lodge-style lobby, and art room.

In addition to the apartment buildings, Monroe Street Market has opened up their retail destination. The Art Walk is a pedestrian walkway lined with small shops intended to be filled with artisans and small boutiques; 20 of the 27 spaces have been leased, and workers seemed busy painting, scrubbing windows and moving in goods on Monday. The strip has an organic, artsy feel. Barnes and Noble, Potbelly, &Pizza, and a restaurant from the owners of Meridian Pint will also be moving in.

To kick off the placemaking development, developers Bozzuto will be hosting a festival, “Art in the Mix,” on October 2...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations