HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

300 North LaSalle in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 28, 2005, 1:54 AM
Content provider

great great location.
that will do a lot to pull the skyline and feeling of the loop north into river north, linking up with the highrises coming west from north state street

Old Posted Nov 1, 2005, 7:40 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

The Aon building will not have to worry. The views alone will keep the structure relevant. Probably some investment in the HVAC system to bring it back into Class A territory, but I don't see this as catastrophic for the building in the long term.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2005, 1:28 AM
Yep

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsider
The Aon building will not have to worry. The views alone will keep the structure relevant. Probably some investment in the HVAC system to bring it back into Class A territory, but I don't see this as catastrophic for the building in the long term.
I used to agree, but nowadays, the businesses prefer West Loop locations so that they are closer to transportation options, such as the Metra stations and expressways. I personally would prefer an office with an awesome lake/park view myself.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 3:51 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

True, but hasn't AON center always been far from transportation. My point is that nothing has changed.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 3:57 PM

Quote:
True, but hasn't AON center always been far from transportation. My point is that nothing has changed.
What has changed is that the West Loop developed....which wasn't an option in 1974. People are lazy. Believe it or not, W Loop commercial rents command more than E Loop rents. Crazy, but true!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 5:04 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

This is true. What has changed is the large blocks of space now available in the west loop.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 5:07 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

Although, whether "people" are lazy is often irrelevant. What matters is what the CEO thinks about it. If he/she likes to drive down form Winnetka on LSD and pull into his heated parking space at AON, his employees are going to have to learn to like it too.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2005, 7:02 PM
Go Pens!

I like this project quite a bit!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 6:34 PM

Quote:
You seem to be forgetting the fact that the Metra Electric and South Shore Trains dump thousands of people off every day near the foot of the AON Center. Combined with an employee shuttles to Union and Ogilvie Stations, AON has rather great access to transportation.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 6:41 PM
The City

^ Yeah, but we all know that the only commuters that matter are the ones from the north and west suburbs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Quote:
You seem to be forgetting the fact that the Metra Electric and South Shore Trains dump thousands of people off every day near the foot of the AON Center. Combined with an employee shuttles to Union and Ogilvie Stations, AON has rather great access to transportation.
It is not just the West Loop train stations, it is also the easy access to the highways. Chicago, unfortuneately, is still a car town in many regards. I'm fine with the trend because I like the idea of the East Loop becoming mostly residential. As Grant Park becomes ever more popular, the area will be similar to the residential surrounding NYC's Central Park. Let's allow the West Loop and the Loop proper be our Wall Street.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
^ Yeah, but we all know that the only commuters that matter are the ones from the north and west suburbs
Only the commuters sitting in the corner offices.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
A lot more people live in the north and west suburbs than the south suburbs. And an even higher percentage of employees of firms like Aon do as well.
"Architecture is the art of balancing values: economic, aesthetic, public, private. It always involves compromise, and few architects would deny that the client's desires take precedence. But the best architects understand that they also have an obligation to the public welfare, no matter who is paying their bills. That often means investing time in educating clients rather than simply acceding to their desires."

- Nicolai Ouroussoff, New York Times

Old Posted Nov 5, 2005, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn
Quote:
It is not just the West Loop train stations, it is also the easy access to the highways. Chicago, unfortuneately, is still a car town in many regards. I'm fine with the trend because I like the idea of the East Loop becoming mostly residential. As Grant Park becomes ever more popular, the area will be similar to the residential surrounding NYC's Central Park. Let's allow the West Loop and the Loop proper be our Wall Street.
West Loop will be a mix (west of the river) of homes, offices, and hopefully, more hotels.
The Loop proper, unfortunately will probably always be a office district, outside of State street.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 7:33 PM

Does anyone have a clue when this boy is getting started? I'd consider it a plus to just get rid of that notoriously ugly parking garage.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 8:04 PM

Quote:
The only station that will be further away from the new building is the Randolph Station. It services 2 lines.

The remaining 11 Metra Lines will be closer to 300 N. LaSalle and these three stations service S, SW, W, NW & N.

CTA EL

FURTHER to 300 than AON
The Red Line (North & South)

CLOSER OR THE SAME TO 300 than AON:
The Green Line will be closer to 300 (West & 2 South)
The Blue Line will be closer to 300 (2 West & 1 NW)
The Orange Line (SW)
The Brown Line (N-NW)
The Purple Line (N)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 8:06 PM

I might become a big fan of Pickard Chilton.
I think they have a good potential.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 8:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i agree, they did that new symphony tower in atlanta (didn't they?) and that's a spectacular project.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ i agree, they did that new symphony tower in atlanta (didn't they?) and that's a spectacular project.
Yep. And I actually think Symphony Tower in Atanta is much more spectacular.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive