HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I am saying that it is absolutely ridiculous to do any sort of comparison between the 2015 games in Toronto to those in 1999 in Winnipeg in the first place.

It was a bare bones event in Toronto using mostly existing facilities by renovating them up to standards and filling in those that were missing. The stadium in Hamilton was $145 million with the city putting up $40 million; chump change to the aforementioned billion dollar Athlete's Village in the West Donlands. The torn down stadium was inadequate too. The problem with using facilities all over an area of 8 million people and a downtown athlete's village on government land they have been wanting to development for 30 years is security and operations and that is where costs got out of control.

Toronto was/is cash strapped, too damn big and, with too expensive real estate and development to have hosted these games for a fraction of what they ended up costing (excluding the Athlete's Village)

I covered the economy and real estate costs in 1999 last post. Now security. I worked in First Canadian Place in 1999. I could get into just about any space I wanted without being noticed. There were few if any maglocks and minimum cameras. Now, every unit has maglock doors and every inch of common area is covered in multiple camera angles with guards doing rounds every hour. Point is, the security budget for the Winnipeg games is probably laughable by today's standards
Yes, I agree. Pre-911 security costs were a fraction of what we see today. I believe the first summer (and maybe winter) Olympics after 9/11 exceeded $1 billion. Now, I believe the Summer Olympics security costs exceed $2 billion.

It's strange...it appears there is overkill for security measures nowadays, but I certainly don't get the impression that happened when athletes/reps were kidnapped and eventually killed in Munich back in 1972 - something that hit much closer to home for the Olympics.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And why were you reading the Charlottetown Guardian? Are you on the Island at present, or do you have Island roots? I vaguely recall you have some connection to Halifax & Moncton.

I'm originally a Charlottetonian. I'm just curious..........
Interesting you picked up on that, I've been posting news articles from Maritimes for years, usually it's from Halifax Chronicle Herald though.

I have a lot of friends in Halifax and have been to Nova Scotia several times in the last ten years or so since finishing school, but i've lived in Saskatchewan and Canada most of my life. I've never been to Charlottetown but often read regional news from across the country & in other Commonwealth countries, just depends on what news feeds I frequent or fb posts etc I see from friends from all over.

For those interested, here's some more pics of Heritage Classic in Regina posted by Wpg_Guy in the Manitoba subforum.
Some great hockey pics from New Mosaic Stadium, enjoy.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...67#post8731567

https://twitter.com/NHLJets/status/1...308955136?s=20

Last edited by SaskScraper; Oct 30, 2019 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 10:42 AM

I think that's the nicest looking stadium in Canada, and I don't even think it's close.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I think that's the nicest looking stadium in Canada, and I don't even think it's close.
Agree, and in little ol' Regina of all places. A "can do" attitude is an amazing thing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It's strange...it appears there is overkill for security measures nowadays, but I certainly don't get the impression that happened when athletes/reps were kidnapped and eventually killed in Munich back in 1972 - something that hit much closer to home for the Olympics.
I'm pretty sure it did, but 9/11 blew everything to hell.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I went to the labor day game there this year. What an amazing stadium. God I hate McMahon so much more now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:19 PM
Community Guy

Rogers Place receives international gold architecture prize from Olympic judges

Dustin Cook

Edmonton’s new arena isn’t only attracting attention from residents heading through downtown but also making waves on the international sports scene.

Rogers Place was awarded a gold standard for exemplary architecture by the International Olympic and Paralympic Committees at an awards event Tuesday evening in Cologne, Germany.

The home of the Oilers was recognized as part of the International Association for Sports and Leisure Facilities awards under the theme of “facilitating an active world.” Projects were judged based on the urban planning and design of active spaces, with the downtown building being recognized for emphasizing more than just an arena.

https://edmontonsun.com/news/local-n...9-e78dbc357932

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:17 AM

Tricky balancing act ahead for Toronto FC to avoid wasted youth
Laura Armstrong Staff Reporter Toronto Star Nov. 15, 2019

The Reds also announced plans to remove the temporary stands in the north end next season in favour of a gathering area, similar to the West Jet Flight Deck at the Rogers Centre. Manning added that the club will also have a safe standing area in the south-end supporters’ section for the 2021 season.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:08 AM
Community Guy

Ice District looking east.

Damn.

https://twitter.com/JWMarriottEdm/st...87364241625090
@kmoorephotos

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Ice District looking east.

Damn.

https://twitter.com/JWMarriottEdm/st...87364241625090
@kmoorephotos
Haha where are the people? I don't see one person on the street or in any of the windows of that skyscraper?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Haha where are the people? I don't see one person on the street or in any of the windows of that skyscraper?
There's one guy bending down in front of the Marriott. Probably setting up his 4 gallon pail drumset for when the Oilers game gets out.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:44 AM

The Ice District is still under construction, notice the temporary fence on the ground.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 4:18 AM

Event fencing? That’s not construction fence.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:44 AM

That fence is there to block off the skating rink that isn't open yet.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:55 AM

Ice District looks good, and once fully open should have no trouble attracting people.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Good point!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:08 PM

So, new place holder for a future Sens arena. After the collapse of the Rendez-Vous LeBreton (RVL) deal involving the Sens owner (who wanted anyone but him to pay for the arena in exchange for the privilege paying him 50% of the revenue on the LeBreton project), the National Capital Commission (NCC) has come up with a new plan for the 52 acre site, which involves selling the land piece-meal. They've included a site for a potential Events Centre (aka Sens arena).

The current owner must first F-OFF so we can negotiate with a sane person.

https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1197552669415464960

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Now that looks amazing.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:07 PM

Yeah, great proposal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
I went to the labor day game there this year. What an amazing stadium. God I hate McMahon so much more now.
Sadly I think the best we can hope for is another renovation of McMahon, there will be zero interest in public money for a stadium given the current economic and fiscal climate here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 6:26 PM

Ya Ottawa needs a new arena their current one is one of the crappiest in the league in a terrible location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada