HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:54 AM
Honored Member

Hehe. I hope you guys realize we can see these threads as well... Paul, don't take it personally. I don't hate Texas. If someone had said the same thing about Detroit and Toledo, I would have been just as adamently against it. While I guess it's possible that at some future time the two could technically form a CSA, I just don't see any evidence for it happening now or in the next few decades. Also, I don't think the leaders in either city are ignorant in general. (They must be doing something right if tens of thousands of people are moving in ever year.) However, they certainly are ignorant to what the OMB does and how CSAs are defined.

Like I said before, there's nothing stopping the two regions from cooperating as a single mega-region of 4 million people. They can plan, coordinate, and develop in unison and connect the two cities with a commuter rail line. They can even market and refer to themselves as the San Antonio-Austin area to prospective businesses, residents, developers, etc. However, one thing that none of us will see any time soon is a list on the Census Bureau's website that contains the phrase "San Antonio-Austin CSA". You obviously don't have to take my word for it, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 8:09 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
Like I said before, there's nothing stopping the two regions from cooperating as a single mega-region of 4 million people. They can plan, coordinate, and develop in unison and connect the two cities with a commuter rail line. They can even market and refer to themselves as the San Antonio-Austin area to prospective businesses, residents, developers, etc.
Actually, if the region did start to market itself as the San Antonio-Austin area or Austin-San Antonio are (which flows off the tongue better, imo), it could have a snowball effect that allows for growth in the metrics that the Census Bureau considers when they determine CSAs. Which... would lead to the area becoming a CSA. Granted, this would take a concerted and sustained effort on behalf of both areas. San Marcos and New Braunfels would also probably have to become the leading areas of growth in each metropolitan area - which isn't very likely.

Though I probably sound like I think this is gonna happen, in reality I think it is wildly unlikely.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
I know this has nothing to do with this topic and I have no intention to start anything (I'm seriously just asking here), but Paul, you posted a thread about San Antonio-Austin in the City Discussion section full of posters of the usual cities and many non Texans.

Plus, the posters obviously have a tiff with you and, while I think you are free to feel the way you want and appreciate your pride for San Antonio, you don't stop lighting the fire.

So my question is...

Are you really surprised by the outcome?

I'm not saying all the posters in that thread were being angels or were completely perfect in any way because I know how you feel, dude, and there were a few people in there (usual suspects) making unnecessary comments, but it was pretty obvious from the beginning that things were not going to mix well.

How is a topic about a growing region about pride? It is a legitimate topic that was just talked about in the media. Now, If a CSA is formed or not is besides the point. The topic has turned to name calling, in which I have succumbed to as well, but I never start this kind of juvenile behavior.

I see topics about all kinds of cities in the city dicussions room, Texas cities as well. I wasn't aware we couldn't discuss San Antonio there. Austin does have it's own room, but yet I see all kinds topics and acollades about Austin. It doens't bother me, not in the least. why should it? This forum is so we can discuss and learn about other places, places we may have never been to.
I enjoy looking at what people display about their cities. I dont understand what the problem is?

A matter of fact, I don't go overboard boosting S.A. at all, if thats what they want to call it.
How many threads have I posted about San Antonio?
Not very many, compared to other forumers on their city's. Now if you trash my city or any city, and it's baseless rant, which is not true I'm going to give you my two sense and hopefully change your view in a postive way.

So Alice, call it whatever you like, I'll call it a uncivillized few.

When I was replying in here, it was slowed, blocked and I had to keep attempting to enter my reply. And it was certainly not my new lap top or internet connection. Someone is going overboard in here over petty topics about cities.

Lastly, I have been a member since 1999, I have never been rude or disrespectful to any forumer regardless if agree with them or not which doesn't seem to go both ways.

There is more to the story, but I'll leave it at that.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Sep 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:02 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
How is a topic about a growing region about pride? It is a legitimate topic that was just talked about in the media. Now, If a CSA is formed or not is besides the point. The topic has turned to name calling, in which I have succumbed to as well, but I never start this kind of juvenile behavior.

I see topics about all kinds of cities in the city dicussions room, Texas cities as well. I wasn't aware we couldn't discuss San Antonio there. Austin does have it's own room, but yet I see all kinds topics and acollades about Austin. It doens't bother me, not in the least. why should it? This forum is so we can discuss and learn about other places, places we may have never been to.
I enjoy looking at what people display about their cities. I dont understand what the problem is?

A matter of fact, I don't go overboard boosting S.A. at all, if thats what they want to call it.
How many threads have I posted about San Antonio?
Not very many, compared to other forumers on their city's. Now if you trash my city or any city, and it's baseless rant, which is not true I'm going to give you my two sense and hopefully change your view in a postive way.

So Alice, call it whatever you like, I'll call it a uncivillized few.

When I was replying in here, it was slowed, blocked and I had to keep attempting to enter my reply. And it was certainly not my new lap top or internet connection. Someone is going overboard in here over petty topics about cities.

Lastly, I have been a member since 1999, I have never been rude or disrespectful to any forumer regardless if agree with them or not which doesn't seem to go both ways.

There is more to the story, but I'll leave it at that.
Ha, true, but completely missed my point.

Anyways, it's no big deal.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 10:57 PM

Yes, I was a bit surprised! Especially with the ridiculous comment" I can no longer be cordial." or something to that effect.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 1:08 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Actually, if the region did start to market itself as the San Antonio-Austin area or Austin-San Antonio are (which flows off the tongue better, imo), it could have a snowball effect that allows for growth in the metrics that the Census Bureau considers when they determine CSAs. Which... would lead to the area becoming a CSA. Granted, this would take a concerted and sustained effort on behalf of both areas. San Marcos and New Braunfels would also probably have to become the leading areas of growth in each metropolitan area - which isn't very likely.

Though I probably sound like I think this is gonna happen, in reality I think it is wildly unlikely.
It's definitely possible. If all development stopped in Austin and its northwestern suburbs as well as San Antonio and its southern and eastern suburbs, and if they decided to build massive subdivisions and office parks along the border between the two metros, it could happen in the next ten or fifteen years.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:08 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
It's definitely possible. If all development stopped in Austin and its northwestern suburbs as well as San Antonio and its southern and eastern suburbs, and if they decided to build massive subdivisions and office parks along the border between the two metros, it could happen in the next ten or fifteen years.

I don't know if you realize that most of San Antonio's growth isn't in its eastern and southern areas...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
I don't know if you realize that most of San Antonio's growth isn't in its eastern and southern areas...
Yes I do, actually...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:04 PM

But it is likely to grow South and East in the future. Four of the most significant developments in the last seven years (Toyota plant, UP multi-modal facility, TX A&M-SA, Caterpillar plant) have occurred in those areas, and land is cheaper out there.

Granted, probably the most significant of all (Ft. Sam) is near I-35, but as its inside 410 I doubt many people will be commuting there from, say, Buda

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:47 PM

Most of the people relocating for BRAC are looking for housing in New Braunfels and Schertz.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
Most of the people relocating for BRAC are looking for housing in New Braunfels and Schertz.
I can vouch for that. As BRAC law has required me to move to BAMC recently, I can say that a majority of relocatees are looking in the I-35/FM78 corridor. Even Kirby and Converse have gotten some action. I've heard alot of Cibolo, Schertz and NB. Even Seguin and La Vernia get mention too.
Oh, and OMS, one guy in my office comes in from Buda, one from Kyle, and a couple from San Marcos; they do it to split commutes.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Sep 27, 2010 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Yes I do, actually...
Well... if you know that then why claim that all development would have to stop in its eastern and southern areas? All development would have to stop to the northwest of both Austin and San Antonio and then shift to the northeast of San Antonio (New Braunfels) and continue apace in South Austin and grow at a faster pace in San Marcos, Buda, and Kyle.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I can vouch for that. As BRAC law has required me to move to BAMC recently, I can say that a majority of relocatees are looking in the I-36/FM78 corridor. Even Kirby and Converse have gotten some action. I've heard alot of Cibolo, Schertz and NB. Even Seguin and La Vernia get mention too.
Oh, and OMS, one guy in my office comes in from Buda, one from Kyle, and a couple from San Marcos; they do it to split commutes.
Not saying people don't do it. When we move back down there in a couple years, I'm looking at going to grad school at UT, but we're going to be looking at houses in New Braunfels or McQueeney. As you said, though, the vast majority of BRAC employment is looking to locate in NE SA, not in southern Austin.

Of course, we all know here that they're actually going to be living on the East Side in Government Hill or in downtown, right?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 3:31 PM

You mean you won't be living in DT SA and taking rail up to Austin?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
You mean you won't be living in DT SA and taking rail up to Austin?
I would love to live in Downtown San Antonio, go to classes at the downtown campus and only use my car to get to 1604 on occasion and then ride the rail to my dad's house in Austin.

...but that will all be years and years from now (if ever).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Naw, that'll have to wait until 2050 when DFW, Houston, SA and Austin all become one CSA of 25 million
that would be ridiculous! i don't think i'd like to ever see that happen. i doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime and i'm only 26.

i'd love to see SA and Austin combine and form an ideal CSA of 4-6 million... that can definitely happen in my lifetime.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 12:47 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Well... if you know that then why claim that all development would have to stop in its eastern and southern areas? All development would have to stop to the northwest of both Austin and San Antonio and then shift to the northeast of San Antonio (New Braunfels) and continue apace in South Austin and grow at a faster pace in San Marcos, Buda, and Kyle.
Yes. If all things happened in a specific way, then the chances of a CSA forming increase, however what are the chances that all future development in either metro area would occur at the border? What are the chances that the suburban development occuring Northwest of Austin would suddenly stop? What are the chances that all downtown/central city development in either city would suddenly stop?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 1:11 AM

Quote:
What are the chances that all downtown/central city development in either city would suddenly stop?
Haha, well, in San Antonio that depends on what you call development - because that is pretty much what's going on right now. Obviously, just like I have no idea what's going on in Detroit, I'm not sure you have an understanding of South Texas development patterns.

I'm always surprised by the amount of new development between San Antonio and New Braunfels. But, I think I'd like to see rail that actually curbs all the sprawling development into 4 distinct hubs; San Antonio, New Braunfels, San Marcos, and Austin. What is the status of that rail line?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:44 AM

DT San Antonio residential development is not dead; there is probably 500 rental units between 1221 Broadway and the Pearl alone.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
DT San Antonio residential development is not dead; there is probably 500 rental units between 1221 Broadway and the Pearl alone.
Add 250 more on Cevallos St.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Sep 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio