HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 3:24 AM

Lewis & Clark student center
Holst Architecture
Conceptual Design, 2014

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:19 PM

^^^ That looks beautiful. Am I wrong to feel like I'm maybe seeing the emergence of a regional Cascadian architecture? The Langano building on Hawthorne, with its pitched roofline, gave me a similar twinge.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:49 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
^^^ That looks beautiful. Am I wrong to feel like I'm maybe seeing the emergence of a regional Cascadian architecture? The Langano building on Hawthorne, with its pitched roofline, gave me a similar twinge.
We might, I can definitely tell the difference between the types of architecture that has been going up in the Northwest compared to other regions in the US.

Cascadian Architecture has a nice ring to it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:17 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
^^^ That looks beautiful. Am I wrong to feel like I'm maybe seeing the emergence of a regional Cascadian architecture?
Yes, such a thing exists:

http://www.amazon.com/Toward-New-Reg.../dp/0295984945

Last edited by zilfondel; Jul 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Will PNCA’s Landmark New HQ Spark a Renaissance in Old Town?

We take a look at the transformation of Portland's first post office into the growing art school's beating heart.

Tom Manley, the president of the Pacific Northwest College of Art, distinguishes between two educational models: programs and platforms. “Programs,” he says, cupping his hands like a bowl, “are like a pediatrics department at a hospital, geared to deal with one set of protocols really well.

“Platforms,” he continues, fingers stretching outward, “are like emergency rooms: you don’t know what’s coming in the door, and you have to be ready to improvise anything.” Manley has reshaped PNCA—and the college’s new digs in NW Broadway’s historic 511 Building—into a platform, he argues, for “an open-ended future.” PNCA will christen its headquarters with a late-winter party; classes begin February 2.

The building heralds a new phase for the city’s most prominent art college—and, potentially, a new creative center of gravity for Portland’s west side. The 511 will house specialized facilities you’d expect at an art school: printmaking, photography, painting, etc. But the former US Post Office, remodeled by noted local architecture firm Allied Works, will also feature flexible “lab” spaces, where students can invent projects tackling everything from new communications technologies to rising global temperatures to just earning a living. Above all, Manley hopes the college’s new HQ will leverage the resource he believes most distinguishes fast-growing PNCA from rivals like the Rhode Island School of Design or LA’s Art Center College of Design: Portland itself, via a web of urban and cultural connections anchored by the 511.
...continues at Portland Monthly.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 7:59 AM

New PCC bldg off of 82nd, by SRG (prior to opening)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128984...n/photostream/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
A First First Thursday for PNCA's New Home

Spring has sprung early in Portland and First Thursday invites art lovers to take to the surprisingly unsoaked streets. We've got six gallery picks—one of them at PNCA's brand new 511 Building.

Published Mar 3, 2015, 2:00pm
By Rene Bermudez

This month, Portland's street art party starts big—in the lofty gallery of PNCA's brand new building on the North Park Blocks.

For the new HQ's first-ever First Thursday, the dramatically renovated, Schnitzer-funded 511 Building throws open its doors with its inaugural exhibit. Gathering Autonomy, a retrospective of the Justseeds Artists' Cooperative, runs through June 21. The international artist group's earthy, politically-tinged poster art style was born and nurtured in Portland in the early 2000s. The PNCA show will feature work by all thirty members of the cooperative, as well as a series of print portfolios issued by the group.

Once you've taken in Portland's shiniest new art space, put your best foot forward and find your way to these nearby First Thursday happenings:
..continues at Portland Monthly.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
PNCA transforms the historic post office building with a $34M remake (Photos)

Jon Bell

It's hard to believe that someone once thought it might be a good idea to bury polished marble floors under shag carpet, hide skylights and ornate windows behind dropped ceilings and cordon off some of the best views of the city with tiny, cramped offices.

But that's just what had happened over the years to much of the 1919 historic U.S. Post Office building on the edge of Old Town Chinatown. That's what federal offices will do to a building, it seems.

Pacific Northwest College of Arts, however, has brought the old building back to its full glory — and then some — with a $34 million transformation that has created a new home for the growing college. Working with Brad Cloepfil and Allied Works Architecture, along with general contractor Howard S. Wright and developer Gerding Edlen, PNCA has re-imagined the historic building and remade it into a center focused on and inspired by art.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:42 PM

I went to the First Thursday event at PNCA last night, which was packed. The renovations are a huge success in my view. Allied Works did a really good job of preserving and restoring the historic portions of the building, while being somewhat freer in the more the functional spaces. I like that they weren't overly precious in the detailing, so that art students can inhabit and take over the spaces. Despite my reservations higher up this thread about the cables, it really works when you see it in person.

Anyway, here are not terribly good shots taken with my phone:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:16 PM

PNCA are going to lease studio space from The Falcon Building LLC. May I suggest Falcon Studios as a name for the new facility?

Quote:
PNCA to lease space in long-empty Old Town building

By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

An Old Town Chinatown building that's been a money pit for a series of owners has finally found a tenant.

The Pacific Northwest College of Art will lease space in the building at 321 N.W. Glisan St., a 1926 warehouse at the foot of the Steel Bridge that's been converted for office use.

The school will use three floors for its ceramics, wood and metals fabrication lab and its thesis student studios. It will bring those facilities closer to the school's new main campus building and allow it to give up leased space in the Pearl District.

A string of owners have had high hopes for the 88,000-square-foot building, also known as the Hunt Transfer Company building and Soho 321, and offered various redevelopment proposals, including adding floors to the top for residential units and rooftop gardens.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Real estate investor makes a $1M gift to college

Just a couple months after signing the Pacific Northwest College of Art to a 10-year lease in his 321 Glisan building, Portland real estate investor Brian Wannamaker has given the college a $1 million gift.

Wannamaker, the subject of last week's PBJ Interview, presented the gift on Saturday night at PNCA's annual fund-raising gala, held at the school's new home at 511 N.W. Broadway.

"I could not miss the opportunity to engage with PNCA’s creative vision for the students and to support the artistic movement," Wannamaker said in a release.
...continues at the PBJ.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 7:46 PM

The University of Portland has requested Early Assistance for a project at 6625 N Portsmouth Ave:

Quote:
Early assistance for dormitory development at University of Portland.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Shiny new recreation center will welcome Pilots back this fall (photos)

The Beauchamp Recreation and Wellness Center, a sparkling brick and glass two-story structure just across N. Portsmouth Avenue from the Chiles Center, will be open to the University of Portland student body and staff by the first day of the term in August.

As the center comes online this summer, special guests, such as the men's and women's basketball teams, have held workouts in the practice gym by appointment. The volleyball team will also use the practice gym, which has a NCAA-standard court that can be closed off for privacy.
..continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 7:59 PM

Soderstrom Architects have submitted a project at 6625 N Portsmouth Ave on the University of Portland campus for building permit review:

Quote:
104,000 square foot dormitory, type is IIB construction. Four stories above grade(top story in attic) with a basement level beneath 1/3 of the building. Upper 3 stories are light gage steel bearing wall on a post tensioned concrete platform.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Soderstrom Architects have submitted a project at 6625 N Portsmouth Ave on the University of Portland campus for building permit review:

The amount of work done on that campus in the last decade is very impressive.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 6:21 PM

University of Portland nabs $15M gift, plans new academic building
Sep 25, 2015, 1:59pm PDT Updated Sep 28, 2015, 11:01am PDT
Matthew Kish
Staff Reporter
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...T&t=1443464063

Quote:
The University of Portland on Friday announced a $15 million gift from Amy Dundon-Berchtold and Jim Berchtold. The money will fund the Dundon-Berchtold Institute for Moral Formation and Applied Ethics and serve as a lead gift for a new academic building that will be called Dundon-Berchtold Hall.

The building will include classrooms, faculty offices and open space. The university will raise additional funds for the building, which is expected to cost $30 million.

"This gift from the Dundon-Berchtolds is transformational for the University of Portland," said Rev. Mark L. Poorman, the university's president, in a news release. "A 21st century academic building will take UP to even greater heights."

The university recently finished a $182 million capital campaign which has funded construction or renovation of 11 buildings over the last six years.

...(continues)

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Pacific Northwest College of Art, Oregon College of Art and Craft considering merger

Two prominent Portland art schools are considering merging with a tentative aim for the combined college to open in fall 2020.

The boards of trustees from Pacific Northwest College of Art and Oregon College of Art and Craft are scheduled to separately vote at the end of October on whether to move forward with plans to merge, according to both schools. The proposal was announced to staff at both colleges last week, according to Don Tuski, PNCA president. Students have also been notified.

Both schools have talked about combining off and on for 30 years, but with the cost of higher education, rising student debt, Portland's size and the state of art schools across the country, Tuski said it makes sense for both institutions to seriously consider combining resources.

"In our first meeting, people at OCAC were thinking the same thing that we were, that if we could do this, we could really take the next step to be an art, design and craft school that rivals anything in the country, and that's really the goal," Tuski said. "I think that's really exciting, and I think Portland should be excited about the possibility in this."

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Oregon Art Schools PNCA And OCAC Vote To Merge

Oregon’s two major, standalone art schools have voted to merge.

The governing boards for Oregon College of Art and Craft and Pacific Northwest College of Art will spend the next month working on a memorandum of understanding that will guide the consolidation of hundreds of staffers and two campuses.

Both schools have long histories — OCAC traces its formation back to 1907 and founder Julia Hoffman, the doyenne of Portland’s branch of the arts and craft scene that sprang up as a response to industrialization. The college’s identity stands squarely at the intersection of art and the maker culture powering everyone from Etsy users to contemporary quilting to the handwork at the heart of Portland’s contemporary art world identity. OCAC’s campus is tucked into the forested southwest hills of Portland, its modest studios and classrooms laid across rugged slopes, offering instruction in ceramics, fiber, book-making and industrial design.
...continues at OPB.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Linfield buys 20 acres for expanded nursing school in Northeast Portland

Linfield College plans a significant expansion of its Portland nursing school, announcing Monday it has purchased 20 acres in outer Northeast Portland to house the program.

Many Linfield nursing students currently split their college years between its main campus in McMinnville and its current training facility at the Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital in Northwest Portland. But the Portland site is at capacity and Linfield's lease with Legacy was set to expire.

So Linfield spent $14.5 million to buy the campus now occupied by the University of Western States, which offers chiropractic and sports medicine treatment and education. Linfield said UWS is looking for a new site and will lease back the facility until 2020, at which time Linfield will move its Portland site from Legacy to the new campus across town.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland