HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 11:37 PM

Bucky's Dymaxion House

Took a few pictures on a tour of the house the other day.

The structure is hung on a mast and can actually rotate with the wind.

Some of the living areas

The bathroom is a completely self contained module. Two of them could be installed

Two more looking up.

The house was to be mass produced by the newly underutilized WWII aircraft plants in the 1940s using much aluminum and plastic. Buck couldn't come up with the initial tooling and production costs however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_house

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 2:53 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ He was fond of saying that these structures could withstand tornadic winds (though I'm doubtful about EF3-EF5 winds).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 3:31 PM

With his Dymaxian car, map projection, the dome, etc, I wonder if our generation is capable to produce such a quixotic innovator that has the proper combination of being both a mad scientist and someone organized enough to bring his ideas info fruition.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
^ He was fond of saying that these structures could withstand tornadic winds (though I'm doubtful about EF3-EF5 winds).
The design figure was actually in the low to mid 100s in mph, below EF3-EF5, which seemed logical given the understanding of tornadoes in the 40s. The structure was designed to actually lift somewhat and remain intact.
I would have doubts about the windows remaining intact if struck by debris at high wind velocities. But that's just MHO, not based on any actual data.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:57 PM

I like the idea of that house in a very dramatic location. I would much rather see prefab homes like that than using modular construction techniques to lower the cost of McMansions.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:32 PM

the dymaxion house is a joy. it's an example of using architecture in an attempt to improve society, as opposed to using architecture to shock, or to market otherwise undistinguished tract developments.

i'm not sure about using aluminum though. i guess the houses would have been built in former aircraft plants, and aluminum's weight and resistance to elements are great qualities. but tile would be so much cheaper.

"if" the dymaxion house had been successful, i wonder if everyday people would deride them as symbols of cheapo, blue-collar america? the dymaxion's efficiency and lower costs would have endeared them to the working class, and our trailer parks would have been full of round aluminum houses with clotheslines and old cars on blocks.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture