HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Cadillac Fairview sent a notice around today that when the plaza fully reopens it will be a "no smoking" zone and that smokers must comply with City Bylaws.
6m away from any entrance.
6 meters from an entrance? That's 30 feet. That's quite absurd.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Yeah and with retail frontages - pretty well nowhere for them to go...

Section 2.2(e) here:
http://former.vancouver.ca/bylaws/9535c.PDF

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah and with retail frontages - pretty well nowhere for them to go...

Section 2.2(e) here:
http://former.vancouver.ca/bylaws/9535c.PDF
So basically Robson Street is a non-smoking area, then? 30 feet would take you to the middle of the street almost.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Disappointed they didnt take out that triangular door piece, though, and didn't rebuild it flush with the tower. More space that way, as well as aesthetics.
That's still in the works, completely different project though.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
why is that absurd? i don't smoke, and its brutal walking through clouds of smoke to get into almost anywhere. why should i, as a nonsmoker, be forced to inhale horribly toxic smoke whenever i want to get in a building? doesn't seem fair to the non-smokers to be forced into that. self entitlement is what is "its my choice it doesn't effect you!" well it does effect me, every single time i smell that crap I'm inhaling toxins because of you. then lets not forget about the majority of the smokers who use the ground as an ashtray. disgusting.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
why is that absurd? i don't smoke, and its brutal walking through clouds of smoke to get into almost anywhere. why should i, as a nonsmoker, be forced to inhale horribly toxic smoke whenever i want to get in a building? doesn't seem fair to the non-smokers to be forced into that. self entitlement is what is "its my choice it doesn't effect you!" well it does effect me, every single time i smell that crap I'm inhaling toxins because of you. then lets not forget about the majority of the smokers who use the ground as an ashtray. disgusting.
Has the city ever given a ticket for violating that bylaw?

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 6:10 AM

its impossible to find anywhere to smoke, its banned from the beaches, the seawall, parks, pretty much anywhere public, when you do walk with one you get lots of dirty looks

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
Sadly I can top you. I used to know smokers who would say "oh you don't smoke" and then blow cigarette smoke in my face. I don't mind at all that smokers have lost the right to smoke absolutely everywhere they go and to hell with everyone else.

On another note, why do they have to stand next to bike racks and smoke??? They would usually move when they saw me ride up (back when I was riding regularly) but I was still breathing in their crap. Like I would ride just so I could breath that in....

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Has the city ever given a ticket for violating that bylaw?
i don't know, but they sure as hell should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
its impossible to find anywhere to smoke, its banned from the beaches, the seawall, parks, pretty much anywhere public, when you do walk with one you get lots of dirty looks
as it should be! that excuse "its my life, it doesn't effect you" is 100% FALSE. everytime i smell it walking down the street, smell it sitting at a red light in my car with my windows down, smell it walking into a building, smell it riding past people, see the butts all over the ground everyf--kingwhere. it DOES effect me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Sadly I can top you. I used to know smokers who would say "oh you don't smoke" and then blow cigarette smoke in my face. I don't mind at all that smokers have lost the right to smoke absolutely everywhere they go and to hell with everyone else.
i would probably punch someone in the throat if they did that to me. and i agree, the city should keep taking it farther and farther. imagine how nice it would be to not inhale smoke all over the place, or not have streets/medians/everywhere else covered in butts. most smokers seem to think the ground is their personal ashtray. the city needs to get to the point of banning smoking in the entire city. smokers could still smoke in their own house, but not outside or in their cars. i drive a convertible and its brutal at a red light in the summer time for the ~1min. cant get away from it.

the more we ban smoking, the more we are doing the right thing. there is no way that it is fair for the majority of the population that they have to put up with smokers air/ground/water pollution. (smoke/butts/chemicals leaking into the drain system).

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 9:00 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Getting further from the topic...

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
In Japan, one refrains from smoking while walking with others on the street, and I think that is very respectful. Seems that here, smokers don't really care. What bugs me is that many smokers also treat the entire street like an open sewer, tossing out buds whenever they want. Anyway, I see people smoking in parks all the time. No one seems to enforce the non-smoking rule. It is a natural reaction from people when they have to breathe in the toxins you create. For me, I just flee the scene.

Bringing back the topic somewhat, it seems that the plaza area near the Canada Line station has many spots which are more than 6m away from all the major entrances for smokers to enjoy a puff, so I don't see the problem here.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 6:40 AM

May 7 '16, my pic

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 3:28 PM

Nice shot!
thanks mcminsen. The plaza now has a crisper look to it.For me those red tiles were a bit hokey.

As for all this blabla about smoking, might it be taken elsewhere? In Southern California (San Diego, anyway) it's forbidden anywhere outdoors, so that's the best example I can come up with.

Butts on the PC plaza would look awful. Anywhere nearby, in fact.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 5:15 PM

do the same rules apply to vaping? in the place i last worked people could smoke inside and the smell was overpowering

back to the mall, when does massimo dutti open?

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 8:01 PM

Sign finally went up - today or yesterday (didn't notice it last night).

You'd think they'd also put the tenant names on the east and west ends of the sign
- the sides pedestrian actually see when walking past.

Pic by me today.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 11:24 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:10 PM

Sent around the office.
For replacement Microsoft signage or new SONY signage (?)

Quote:
DATE: August 12, 2016

ATTENTION: All Office Tenants – 725 Granville, 700 West Georgia, 701 West Georgia and 609 Granville

WHAT: Closure of Parkade Exit at Howe and Robson Streets

WHY: To accommodate the use of over-height equipment on the parkade exit ramp for the removal of exterior building glazing in preparation for new signage installation.

WHEN: Thursday, August 18 and Friday, August 19, 2016 between 5:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. daily

IMPACT: This work will require the temporary closure of the parkade exit ramp at Howe and Robson Streets. There will be traffic control measures in place and signage directing traffic to the other parkade exits.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Sent around the office.
For replacement Microsoft signage or new SONY signage (?)
My guess would be new Parkade signage.

Ron.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 9:23 PM

Parkade signage shouldn't require the removal of building glazing.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 9:23 PM

No this will be a slight change to the supports and electrical feed to the Microsoft sign. Nothing anyone will ever notice a difference in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver