HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 2:41 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

It's going to happen...

The Towers will end up being built.

There's too much money already invested, and too many movers and shakers working to make it happen.

Aura on the other hand.................

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:03 AM

"Saca did not return a telephone call seeking comment. Mark Cordano of Sacramento-based Cordano Co. said his company has put its Towers retail marketing efforts "on hold" for now."

What does this mean???? Marketing efforts on hold on a project about to have good news????

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Luxury highrise condos CAN'T be done in Sac. After all, it's never been done before right?
Oh come on. All this drama about the Towers and Aura is just a moment in time. If none of planned lux condo highrises get built within the next -say 5 years that doesn't mean it'll never happen. It may be just hella bad timing for sure. But let's look at the postives ..we have two office towers underway and a number of low-midrise infills, K Street renovations, The Railyards..etc.
Grand schemes never quite materializing as planned is not just a Sacramento phenomenon. This is the typical two steps forward, three steps back thing.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:38 PM

I've notice that work has finally started on Hotel Orleans project in Old Sacramento. The 50,000 sq. ft. project will include ground floor retail and upper floor residential with parking on site. Also D&S Development is almost finished with their 9 for sale lofts in the Mechanics Exchange Building on I Steet. In my opinion this is exactly the type of development that Old Sac needs.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 8:15 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Oh come on. All this drama about the Towers and Aura is just a moment in time. If none of planned lux condo highrises get built within the next -say 5 years that doesn't mean it'll never happen. It may be just hella bad timing for sure. But let's look at the postives ..we have two office towers underway and a number of low-midrise infills, K Street renovations, The Railyards..etc.
Grand schemes never quite materializing as planned is not just a Sacramento phenomenon. This is the typical two steps forward, three steps back thing.
Actually my post was a little sarcasm dating back to the Metro Place (32 story mixed used project) time period (year 2002). At that time, Ingemanson could not secure a lender because banks said, "It can't be done in Sac", which is bullshit as we all know. Since at that time housing was booming and office vacancy in Sacramento was among the lowest in the nation. So until lenders in Chicago and NYC understand that Sacramento really isn't a cowtown as the stereotype implies, we won't be seeing anything.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 8:31 PM

Will Highrise Condos Ever Be Built in Sacramento?

It may be helpul to put things in the long-term perspective. I have lived in Sacramento for 25 years and have seen several hot and cold cycles in the economy and homebuilding. Each new cycle brings new and better opportunities, and the long term-trends has been onward, upward, and better for our fair City.

Sure, there are lot of short-term ziga and zags and daily drama--one day Aura or Sac Towers is going to get built, the next day it's not. But the long-term fundamentals for Sacramento are excellent.

Trying to devine what will happen one, two, five, ten, or thirty years from now in Sacramento based on the daily news is like trying to predict where the stock market is going in the long term based on the daily changes. One day, the Dow Jones is up 150 points, the next day down 350 points. One day, consumer confidence is up, the next day business investment is down. So what?

The bottom line is that Sacramento has a lot of positives, as well as some challenges that still need to be addressed, but there is definetly a segment of the population that yearns for high quality urban living near where the urban action is. I am convinced that this segment of the population will continue to grow as Sacramento matures.

The only question is: can the development community deliver what a significant number of people in the region seem to want at a price they are willing to pay? Time will tell.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 9:23 PM

^very well said. Great points. I agree 100%.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
^very well said. Great points. I agree 100%.

Thank you.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 10:33 PM
Here we stAy

Right there with you guys.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 7:02 PM

Firestone Building Update

The Firestone building has placed a notice to sell alcoholic beverages by the California Pizza Kitchen! Also, parking has been limited on the exposed portion of the building. It looks like work may resume there.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacdelicious View Post
The Firestone building has placed a notice to sell alcoholic beverages by the California Pizza Kitchen! Also, parking has been limited on the exposed portion of the building. It looks like work may resume there.
I dig the art-deco look of the Firestone and was looking forward its refurb but am I the only one underwhelmed by the choice of eatery??? I was hoping for something similiar to Zucalo or Mikuni's with how they transformed a unique local into something special. Oh well I guess time will tell...

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 8:22 PM

I think CPK and other mid-priced restaurants are just as important for DT/MT as Mikuni and Zucalo. It'll bring more "state worker-types" there on their lunch hour and maybe entice them to stay a little longer and see what else there is after 5. Also, depending on how late it's open, it'll give the younger crowd a place to hang out after a night of drinking. There's lots of opportunities. I think it'll be a good thing.

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 8:32 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod74 View Post
I dig the art-deco look of the Firestone and was looking forward its refurb but am I the only one underwhelmed by the choice of eatery??? I was hoping for something similiar to Zucalo or Mikuni's with how they transformed a unique local into something special. Oh well I guess time will tell...
Yeah, I aggree... but it beats a Pizza Hut. So will there be multiple
eateries at the Firestone and what other purposes will the building be used for?

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:48 PM

Does anyone know the time frame when CPK is suppose to open. Thanks

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:30 AM
Here we stAy

Well, CPK isn't the flashiest of places, but from what I've seen of the new one that opened here in SLO at the end of last summer, it should be a good fit for the area, for all the reasons neuhickman pointed out. And if they do it anything like the one here in SLO, the bar should be quite extensive.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:24 PM

I personally love CPK and it would probably draw me down to those blocks much more frequently than an occasional dinner at Mikuni, PF Chang's, or Lucca. CPK type establishments at least for me are more like weekly visits, whereas the forementioned (Mikuni, Zocalo, etc) would probably be more on a monthly basis or for special occasions.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:42 PM

^I agree. As I've said, we need more than just the cool, trendy places for people in their 20s and 30s. We also need to give families and others a reason to go dt/mt.

plus, you know the Marriot is psyched that their guests will have a nice restaurant that is very familiar to them just around the corner from their hotel. sometimes when people travel, they appreciate a familiar restaurant.
At the end of the day, I think everyone on this thread will appreciate the traffic a CPK generates.

Last edited by brandon12; May 8, 2007 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 9:19 PM

CPK is exactly the kind of restaurant that will do that location a great service. All you have to do is go to the CPK at Arden Fair and in San Francisco. This restaurant chain packs in the crowds and their customers are very diverse. For me, I really, really like CPK's pizzas and other menu items and as stated by others above, it's a place you can go at least 3 to 4 times a month. Their restaurant decor is bright and inviting and I really see this location being another high volume store. It's much closer to me than the Arden Fair location so I am sure to check it out a few times a month. Can't wait for them to open.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 1:20 AM

Well I dont have as much of a problem with Cal Pizza Kitchen in general as I do the idea of it being the tenant. I agree with everyone that CPK can certainly drive some traffic with its reasonable pricing for all types of customers. My only issue is that the building can be a really special place given its architecture and location but I think it cant reach its full potential as a CPK. I would much rather see the CPK go in next door at the Marriot or 800 J lofts. There is certainly room for all types of eateries downtown but I cant help but feel a little cheated when a great spot is leased by only an average chain restaurant. I guess you have to take what you can get and hope for the best...

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:12 AM

I haven't been to a CPK since the first couples of years they opened in LA but hell KFC would be preferable to a boarded-up, decaying tire store. I don't like chains but every city has them -whatever it takes is my mantra.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area