HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 12:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
(unlike the witch who used to run the show here)
That's a hell of a way to describe her Poodleship.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 8:45 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Say what you want about Van Meerbergen, but I find he's trying to make council more productive. Big government or small government, what really matters is efficient government.
I don't actually have much of a problem with VM, sometimes I get the impression that he's a bit of a dolt but sitting on London City Council that should come as no surprise. I wish he was my representative for Ward 5, hate being stuck with a small-minded twit like Baechler. And speaking of which...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
A big factor to London's employment numbers is our poor levels of transportation infrastructure.
Part of the problem is the people who make up the council itself. I think I previously mentioned Baechler's attitude towards development in particular. She wouldn't dream of having her fairy-tale vision of a perfect city in the trees dashed by expressways and industry... you know, things that would benefit most normal people. And this view is shared by at least half our council members! How do you expect this inept and useless body to even think of improving transport infrastructure if they're anti-development in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That's a hell of a way to describe her Poodleship.
I can't think of any nicer terms to use on her.

Last edited by Wharn; Aug 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:28 PM

I just read in the London Free Press that Fontana doesn't even live in London. WTF?? My opinion of him just went down several notches.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 8:56 PM

Where does he live?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
Where does he live?
He lives in Arva.

As someone who lives in a bedroom community myself, I have no problem with this. We can be proud Londoner's too. We just don't actually want to live within the city limits!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 11:26 PM

It doesn't look good that he doesn't even pay taxes to the city he represents (and probably moved there for the lower taxes).

Not sure what the laws are in London but in Windsor you can't run for municipal office unless you live in the jurisdiction (same goes for city council wards).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:35 AM

That's the way it should be too, and that goes for fire and police also. You can't demand ever higher wages and not be responsible to pay them. That's the only way to keep wages in check.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
That's the way it should be too, and that goes for fire and police also. You can't demand ever higher wages and not be responsible to pay them. That's the only way to keep wages in check.
Mr. Fontana owns property in the City I believe.

City staff are are paid to provide the municipal government with a service. Period. They are like any other employer. Any attempt to force employees to live in the municipality of their employer would be slaughtered in the courts.

So... if you work at Cami, you must buy a GM vehicle or face dismissal?If you work at TD, you must have a mortgage with them? If you work at London Life, you must buy your life insurance from Great West?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:47 AM

Arva really shouldn't be its own village or whatever. London should annex it since they want to use our sewage treatment to expand housing in Arva and their tax base.

We might as well take it over for the addition revenue and to finally add a northern part of our ghost ring road!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Mr. Fontana owns property in the City I believe.

City staff are are paid to provide the municipal government with a service. Period. They are like any other employer. Any attempt to force employees to live in the municipality of their employer would be slaughtered in the courts.

So... if you work at Cami, you must buy a GM vehicle or face dismissal?If you work at TD, you must have a mortgage with them? If you work at London Life, you must buy your life insurance from Great West?
There's one exception I know of - Coca-Cola employees not allowed to be seen drinking Pepsi products. I'm sure there's many loopholes to that though.

Fontana not living within City Limits doesn't bother me. I think there are much bigger things to worry about in running a city.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:44 AM

City staff is one thing but you'd think the mayor would choose to live in the city he's mayor of, just because of how that looks. To me it sends the wrong message...like he's too good to live in London so he'll live in a community that has all the benefits of the city at its doorstep, but not the high taxes.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
City staff is one thing but you'd think the mayor would choose to live in the city he's mayor of, just because of how that looks. To me it sends the wrong message...like he's too good to live in London so he'll live in a community that has all the benefits of the city at its doorstep, but not the high taxes.
Apparently, you've not been a ratepayer in Middlesex Centre.

The guy is going above and beyond. Christ, this is sounding like another chicken debate.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Fire and Police keep demanding wage hikes no matter where they live. They're part of a public sector union and they know SOME level of government is holding the gun to someone else's head in order to pay them. Besides which, the municipality is supposed to be hiring those it feels are most qualified for the job, whether they are a resident or not. I have to agree that this is an illogical proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Echoing the question of merit, who would you rather have as mayor: a completely incompetent moron who lives in London, or a semi-moron who lives 5 minutes outside?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 12:10 AM

^ Well, I guess you're right - I'm kinda surprised how the London forumers don't really think this is a big deal. But I grew up in Windsor where the city and suburbs have an equally strong disdain for each other...man I can't imagine the firestorm something like this would cause down there lol.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 5:05 AM
User Registered

London should just absorb Arva. Amalgamation will create a more efficient government system and a higher taxbase for the city. If anyone asks them, people from Arva say they're from London anyway.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 4:34 AM
User Registered

Here's a very interesting video from Chris Bentley regarding the 401/402 corridor and the Wonderland/VMP interchanges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhkfSkjcEk" target="_blank">Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhkfSkjcEk

My comment on the video:

"While I question developing land on the 401 west of the 402 the Wonderland/401 interchange is needed.
But why are you planning to 'upgrade' the free-flowing VMP/401 interchange into a parclo? That is not free-flowing, stoplights are like a downgrade."

Also the amount of jobs attracted is overexaggerated. There's no way in my mind London can attract manufacturing jobs en masse but it sure makes a lot more sense from their standpoint to occupy land close to the freeways rather than in the city. It's simply more efficient and having that frontage is like free advertising.

This video can also be considered an election smudge from the Liberal MPP. Since this is the economy thread, I won't get into it, but feel free to discuss in the politics section.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:17 PM

I have become the latest Londoner to find myself jobless. The telecommunications company I have been working for since I graduated from Fanshawe eliminated four marketing positions, including mine, as a result of outsourcing. This job was not in London but I was still living in London and commuting.

Fortunately, I have virtually scored a new job with a company outside Canada. I never thought I'd see the day I could find a job in a non-English-speaking country more easily than in London, Ontario.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 9:00 PM

Dear London, we feel your pain and we are here if you need to talk.

Signed, Windsor

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Manny,

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Sorry to hear the bad news, Manny,
Meh, it's just the way it is. No sense in complaining, especially when I should be back to work in just over a month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy