HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 3:28 AM

Well... our effort was there. We didn't deserve to walk out of this game with nothing to show for it. NYR sure clogs things up well in their own zone when they have too. We need a finisher. I hate tanking, and am in now way suggesting it, but Nail Yakupov sure would look nice on the Jets wing. Scheifele and Yakupov on one line with a filler, along with Kane and Bumistrov on another. That would be awesome.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 4:16 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I probably mentioned this earlier, but there were at least half a dozen completely empty boxes at Phoenix's home opener - their "sellout" game for the season. And half of the occupied boxes were full of Jets fans.

Phoenix's corporate support is almost entirely non-existent. You even see it in the real lack of in-game promotions compared to any other NHL city. QC, here we come!
Give us the last technical "Jets" player from the Coyotes first

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Give us the last technical "Jets" player from the Coyotes first
Do you mean Doan? If I remember correctly he doesn't want to be here. If that is the case, I wouldn't want him.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 4:43 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Do you mean Doan? If I remember correctly he doesn't want to be here. If that is the case, I wouldn't want him.
Bingo. While Doan didn't give the openly hostile reaction Bryzgalov did, he was still pretty clear in his thoughts about having zero interest in moving to Winnipeg. Let the bum rot in the desert is my opinion.

It also helps with the "fresh start" TNSE is aiming for. We got the name back, and that's enough for me.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
We got the name back, and that's enough for me.
It's interesting to think back to the discussions about the name. Look how much the name means today.

Polar Bears? Ugh.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Bingo. While Doan didn't give the openly hostile reaction Bryzgalov did, he was still pretty clear in his thoughts about having zero interest in moving to Winnipeg. Let the bum rot in the desert is my opinion.

It also helps with the "fresh start" TNSE is aiming for. We got the name back, and that's enough for me.
While I definitely agree that we don't need Doan, I also think Doan's comments were taken out of context and overblown. Think about it for a second - he's played for Phoenix for 15 years (only 1 in Winnipeg). His family is rooted there, his roots are there. Year-round golfing aside, I think most people in that situation (where uprooting one's family at an end of a career) would say "I would prefer to stay put" regardless of where the final destination was. Why betray the Phoenix fans (the few that there are) saying you'd love to move somewhere else? Moreover, he was under contract with Phoenix, and the rumours of the team moving to Winnipeg were just that - rumours. Your loyalty is to your current team and city, always.

Think about it this way. If Thomas Steen, when Winnipeg relocation rumours were swirling in 1995, would have said "Yeah, I hear we might be moving to Minneapolis - great city, I'd love to head there", how would Winnipeg fans feel? All this to say, in Doan's position, what else would you expect him to say - it's definitely nothing personal against Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 6:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It's interesting to think back to the discussions about the name. Look how much the name means today.

Polar Bears? Ugh.
From all the interviews I've read, apparently that was never on the table. "Bears" was, which I wouldn't have hated - but the Bruins certainly would have kiboshed. "Falcons" was also looked at. Ironic given the Atlanta Falcons, and the Jets name coming from the NFL (AFL at the time) in the first place.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
While I definitely agree that we don't need Doan, I also think Doan's comments were taken out of context and overblown. Think about it for a second - he's played for Phoenix for 15 years (only 1 in Winnipeg). His family is rooted there, his roots are there. Year-round golfing aside, I think most people in that situation (where uprooting one's family at an end of a career) would say "I would prefer to stay put" regardless of where the final destination was. Why betray the Phoenix fans (the few that there are) saying you'd love to move somewhere else? Moreover, he was under contract with Phoenix, and the rumours of the team moving to Winnipeg were just that - rumours. Your loyalty is to your current team and city, always.

Think about it this way. If Thomas Steen, when Winnipeg relocation rumours were swirling in 1995, would have said "Yeah, I hear we might be moving to Minneapolis - great city, I'd love to head there", how would Winnipeg fans feel? All this to say, in Doan's position, what else would you expect him to say - it's definitely nothing personal against Winnipeg.
Absolutely agree, but there are ways to say things and there are ways to say things. Bryzgalov was the absolute height of douchebaggery. As was Bissonette if memory serves. But many guys were quoted as basically saying "meh, I'll move wherever". Doan was a little stronger in his words - nowhere near the douchebags, but still - he made it abundantly clear what he thought about Winnipeg. It didn't come off as ONLY wanting to stay in Phoenix.

Selanne, on the other hand - complete class. He was asked about the prospect of coming back to Wpg, and handled it beautifully. Not a single person got the wrong impression from his words. He just handled it better than Doan did. Maybe Doan was misquoted or maybe he just isn't as diplomatic as others.

Incidentally, in case anyone doesn't know - TNSE did actually approach Selanne about the possibility.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:03 PM

Quote:
From all the interviews I've read, apparently that was never on the table. "Bears" was, which I wouldn't have hated - but the Bruins certainly would have kiboshed. "Falcons" was also looked at. Ironic given the Atlanta Falcons, and the Jets name coming from the NFL (AFL?) in the first place.
Kind of interesting that all 3 of those names True North considered are all names of current NFL teams...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Absolutely agree, but there are ways to say things and there are ways to say things. Bryzgalov was the absolute height of douchebaggery. As was Bissonette if memory serves. But many guys were quoted as basically saying "meh, I'll move wherever". Doan was a little stronger in his words - nowhere near the douchebags, but still - he made it abundantly clear what he thought about Winnipeg. It didn't come off as ONLY wanting to stay in Phoenix.

Selanne, on the other hand - complete class. He was asked about the prospect of coming back to Wpg, and handled it beautifully. Not a single person got the wrong impression from his words. He just handled it better than Doan did. Maybe Doan was misquoted or maybe he just isn't as diplomatic as others.

Incidentally, in case anyone doesn't know - TNSE did actually approach Selanne about the possibility.
^True. And, Biznasty definitely had some good things to say about Winnipeg hahaha. See: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...nt-be-all-bad/

Quote:
“The girls are undercover hot in Canada,” Bissonnette said. “Besides, we’d be the only game in town. I’m sure we’d have first dibs.”
Quote:
“It would be exciting to be the team that went back to Canada,” he told the newspaper. “C’mon, we’d be treated like gods."

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:21 PM

Quote:
^True. And, Biznasty definitely had some good things to say about Winnipeg hahaha. See: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...nt-be-all-bad/
I enjoy Bissonnette on twitter. He definitely seems to take advantage of (whatever) celebrity status he can get, especially with the ladies. He also seems to have a lot of fun with trash talking fans and followers.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 7:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Kind of interesting that all 3 of those names True North considered are all names of current NFL teams...
*slaps head* - can't believe I never made the connection with "Bears". Thanks.

Quote:
Hmm - I was completely backwards on this guy. That's right, he was the one saying GOOD things about Wpg. Must be remembering someone else. Thanks for the correction.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:56 PM

Went to my first NHL game in Winnipeg since the o.g. Jets left last night...and man, was it awesome.

It didn't even feel like we lost!! Electric atmosphere, vibrant crowd, I felt like I was in the Bell Centre

It was a great experience. One side of the arena would chant one thing and you'd hear somewhere in the upper bowl chant something else and across you would be the goalie chant and etc... it was just awesome.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:34 PM

Can anyone find a video of an interview with Selanne? I would love to see that. One specifically pertaining to the new Jets.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:39 PM

Does anyone know what the territorial TV rights situation is for the Jets - Oilers - Flames in the prairies. I was going under the assumption that all Flames and Oilers regional games (Sportsnet West) would now be blacked out with the Jets back.... except last night, I was able to Watch the Vancouver - Edmonton game! Why??? Are we still being allowed access to other regional TV markets? Are they allowing them on non-jets game nights?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 3:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Does anyone know what the territorial TV rights situation is for the Jets - Oilers - Flames in the prairies. I was going under the assumption that all Flames and Oilers regional games (Sportsnet West) would now be blacked out with the Jets back.... except last night, I was able to Watch the Vancouver - Edmonton game! Why??? Are we still being allowed access to other regional TV markets? Are they allowing them on non-jets game nights?
It was a Sportsnet West national broadcast of the game last night.

Blackout has a different meaning now compared to back in 1989. Back then (when channels were limited) the local region would be watching bowling or snooker while the rest of Canada watched the game. This was to encourage people to buy tickets for the game. However that tactic is no longer necessary with the popularity of the NHL in Canadian markets.

Now things are reversed. Local regions get the game and the rest of Canada has to watch it on NHL Centre Ice. This keeps broadcast costs lower by focusing on the main audience and maintain a targeted advertising audience.

Currently the only games that are blacked out are the ones that are regionally broadcast. However in the case of Sportsnet and TSN, those games are on channels not available in certain areas. For instance, regional Jets games are on TSN Jets. People in Calgary can't watch the game because they don't have the TSN Jets channel available to them. Likewise Flames and Oilers regional games are on Sportsnet Flames and Sportsnet Oilers respectively which aren't available in Winnipeg.

Games broadcast on the Sportsnet West and TSN national channels will never be blacked out.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:59 PM
Starring as himself

So I have Center Ice now and it's great. Will there be any Jets games I can't see from here in Toronto (other than those on CBC and TSN's main network that I can see anyway)?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:03 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
So I have Center Ice now and it's great. Will there be any Jets games I can't see from here in Toronto (other than those on CBC and TSN's main network that I can see anyway)?
You should be able to see all of the Jets games with Center Ice from Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 5:21 PM
BANNED

Another crowd of less than 5K at Jobbing.com in Glendale to watch the Coyotes (official attendance 6,948)

Couple of comments from their fans on the HF Boards

Tough loss last evening at Jobing! However, the toughest aspect of last nights game was the obvious disinterest that the fans have shown by choosing not to attend the Coyote contests. To those who feel so sanctimonious in their belief that new ownership will return fans to Glendale you are sadly delusional. The sports fans in the Valley have spoken year after year, they are not interested in hockey as we now know it in Glendale. How many more pathetic crowds do you need to see to understand what has been so painfully obvious to the rest of the hockey world (sans GB)! Two winning seasons under DT and GMDM have done little to shake loose the fan base. A new expensive ad campaign is a waste of funds, there simply is not enough fan interest to give any potential owner any sense of hope. The news emanating from the new ownership groups is deadly silent with two short months remaining. You can be certain that the empty seats are a glaring red flag! Next headline out will be an acknowledgment from the two potential purchasers saying in essence, "thanks but no thanks".

Can't disagree. The fans suck. I was present in a crowd of maybe 5,000. Doan deserved better when scoring his 300th.

Everyone raising excuses need to wake up and realize that people in the valley just don't care about the Coyotes. This isn't a hockey town. I wouldn't buy this team. Whatever the reason people want to put up, the bottom line is the fans left this team, and the valley will not support NHL hockey. Disgusted doesn't even start to explain how I feel about this "so-called" fan base.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 6:47 PM
Closed account

The lastest and greatest promotion from the Phoenix Coyotes:

Phoenix Offering Allergy-Free Suites For Rent!

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-suite-rentals

Yes, but it doesn't addess the allergies people in Metro Phoenix have to hockey!

LOL at this franchise

Last edited by Joshy; Oct 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan