HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:23 PM
Architecture/Engineering

The 104-year-old Plymouth Building at 6th & Hennepin in Minneapolis will be converted to a high-end 270-room Conrad Hilton Hotel. This will be the 5th Conrad in the US, joining New York, Chicago, Miami and Indianapolis (where Hilton is based). The developer also owns the luxury Hotel Ivy.

Plymouth Building from the Minneapolis-St.Paul Business Journal article.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:25 PM

Good building for- a restoration.... Conrad is pretty high-end. Vey unimpressed with the two proposals for the 6 floor parking ramp, granted no photo yet! That spot has to be almost "Iconic" in my opinion! Hope they get upgraded in size 45-55 story range I hope.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:38 AM

Avian: What's the prognosys for the two proposals for the Parkade next to the future stadium. Not impressed with either proposal or the Ryan twin-building project. That area is screaming for something Tall and Iconic.... Not 25 stories!! Hopefully, the city will be able to coax these guys into developing something better than what they've talked about.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 12:05 PM

updated Google Earth model for the Eclipse project:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...cbb9fee25a7f45

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 8:14 PM

^^AWFUL!! ^^ I hope this one gets re-skinned. Like the original design and the height!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 11:54 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
^^AWFUL!! ^^ I hope this one gets re-skinned. Like the original design and the height!
Well, we have to be careful. M b p 's renderings are just the Google Earth models (as I know you know). The monochromatic rendering looks like this, and we don't know what the final materials will be:

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 12:00 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Avian: What's the prognosys for the two proposals for the Parkade next to the future stadium...
I think we're getting exactly what they proposed. Nothing taller. But I hope more imaginative than the Nic on Fifth. That's going to be a photogenic site. But there are always other fish to fry in other locations downtown.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:40 AM

^^ I know.... but you know there's a few instances where a developer can "step outside of the box" and do something that stands out.... not just height but design, something that makes you want to look at it! Maybe Ryan & Mortensen can combine on the project? No other proposals from other developers? I find it hard to believe! But what do I know.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 12:47 AM
Architecture/Engineering

A new rendering of the stadium from a slightly different angle:

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:56 AM

Anyone heard anything about this large convention center hotel? Wouldn't it be prudent on the development of the parkade next to the stadium to combine the proposals? Like a 20-25 story hotel and 25-30 floors of residential and a couple levels of retail! Less risk for the two developers, the city get's more hotel & residential space and we end up with a 50+- story tower!! That spot is too visible to end up with what's being proposed. I'm wondering if the city is "tying their hands" in-so-far-as developing something iconic!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:41 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Anyone heard anything about this large convention center hotel? Wouldn't it be prudent on the development of the parkade next to the stadium to combine the proposals? Like a 20-25 story hotel and 25-30 floors of residential and a couple levels of retail! Less risk for the two developers, the city get's more hotel & residential space and we end up with a 50+- story tower!! That spot is too visible to end up with what's being proposed. I'm wondering if the city is "tying their hands" in-so-far-as developing something iconic!
The Century Plaza building is the preferred site for the convention center hotel since it's right across the street from the CC. The stadium ramp site is too far away.

Opus is looking to develop the vacant Ritz block on the Nicollet Mall across the street from the Central Library. 500,000 SF of office + 300 residential units so this will be a substantial project.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 10:16 PM

^^ Thanks! The Opus development sounds like it might be in the 40-50 story range.... hopefully. The parkade site I was thinking if both proposals were combined into one.... hotel & residential. ^^

Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 8:48 AM

According to the "Strib", I read where Ryan, on the parkade site next to the stadium, is talking about hotel & residential.... so I guess I had a pretty good idea eh!! Only problem is it's still around 27-28 floors (Damn)! The article also said it may start construction in mid-2015, which tells me it might change 2-3 times before the final design! I'm still hoping for 40+ floors!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 7:41 AM

Hope that latest render of Eclipse isn't final! It's just terrible....doesn't belong downtown! Send it over to St. Paul! LOL

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Hope that latest render of Eclipse isn't final! It's just terrible....doesn't belong downtown! Send it over to St. Paul! LOL
I think your talking about my model pictures I posted on other sites. I have nothing to do with this project... or any project. I make digital models in my free time and post them for people to view in google earth.

So no... that latest render of eclipse isn't final... it's not even official. It's the result of my hobby.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 10:07 AM

m b p: I assumed (maybe my fault) that these were actual (rough) renders!!! So, if an apology is in order.... you have it. Thank You..... Still hope that block gets something better and taller.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 9:36 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Nice photos of the Viking's stadium scale model as posted by AjKFAN at Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AjKFAN/media

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 6:51 AM

Now I'm starting to like this baby!! Nothing like an actual model to show a building!! All the more reason that future developments close/next to this stadium are special/tall/iconic.... pick your choice of words, but you see what I mean!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 5:22 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Now I'm starting to like this baby!! Nothing like an actual model to show a building!! All the more reason that future developments close/next to this stadium are special/tall/iconic.... pick your choice of words, but you see what I mean!
I agree. One thing I'm not liking about the model is that it doesn't show what the inevitable security bollards are going to look like in front of those huge glass doors. There's no way that plaza will be as "open" as it seems

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 9:22 AM

^^ Never even thought of that! SSC had a list of proposal's, UC's ect., it was a pretty good list.... hope there is 2-3 500 footers in there. Sounds like one might be close to 700'!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest