HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:22 PM

I would assume this is a good sign

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I would assume this is a good sign

Maybe not.

That's one hideous mockup.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 8:29 PM

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 8:36 PM

Don't think that has anything to do with what the building will look like.
I think they are just using the structure to demonstrate how all the different cladding and materials will be built and perhaps to test them.
They did a similar thing before construction started on CTC.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam215 View Post
I think they are just using the structure to demonstrate how all the different cladding and materials will be built and perhaps to test them.
This mock up looks like a version of a Chinese menu, one from column A, one from column B, and a beverage of your choice.

Even the individual components don't look anything special. Disappointing

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Maybe not.

That's one hideous mockup.
Ugly as hell. If I remember correctly though, the textured metal panels are only on a small portion of the building. For most of the building he facade is mostly glass. Still though. This is not a promising start.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam215 View Post
You don't think a mockup of the cladding and materials has anything to do with what the building will look like?

Last edited by boxbot; Feb 14, 2017 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 12:50 AM

Seriously though, why the hell is there a seemingly newly constructed doorway in the middle of a seemingly otherwise empty lot. Is that the door to the other side of the fence?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 1:39 AM

Haha point taken, but no I don't think that mockup reflects what the building will look like when constructed because the final product won't have all those materials and colors crammed into such a small space.
Colors and materials can look remarkably different depending on their surroundings-for instance an off-white color can look bright white next to a dark color, or like a cool grey next to a brighter shade of white.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:49 AM

Not to throw cold water on anything, but I'm pretty sure those panels have been there for months.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39.95n View Post
Not to throw cold water on anything, but I'm pretty sure those panels have been there for months.
I walk by fairly often and have not seen them before. As to the aesthetic, I agree with everyone else. Blech. Not great. Hopefully, it will look better actually on the building as Noam says.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 2:03 PM

I think this garbage facade will only go in the areas indicated by red circles. So it shouldn't really affect too much about how they actual tower will look, but it will be very visible close up on the lower floors.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
garbage facade

lol

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:08 PM

I'm as a hard critic as anyone on this thread when it comes to the many sub-bar designs we've had to endure. But I don't think you can extrapolate what the entire building will look like based on this tiny mock-up, especially given that, as has been stated, the paneling will only cover a portion of the tower.

I remember not too long ago being highly impressed by the rich dark glass on the CITC mock up only to see the actual exterior glass being a very ordinary and ubiquitous color.

So I wouldn't put too much stock in this.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39.95n View Post
No, it hasn't. There was paneling up there a while ago, but I believe this was paneling for the finishes to the Target. They then took that paneling down, and it was just a wood board for several months. This new paneling has just gone up in the past week.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I'm as a hard critic as anyone on this thread when it comes to the many sub-bar designs we've had to endure. But I don't think you can extrapolate what the entire building will look like based on this tiny mock-up, especially given that, as has been stated, the paneling will only cover a portion of the tower.

I remember not too long ago being highly impressed by the rich dark glass on the CITC mock up only to see the actual exterior glass being a very ordinary and ubiquitous color.

So I wouldn't put too much stock in this.
It's our first look at the quality of the materials that will be used on this building. It's not a good first look.

Obviously the whole tower won't look like this as I pointed out and it's hard to judge a facade when it's covering 75% of a building, much less when you're looking at nothing more than a mockup. This tower could end up looking great.

But I see no issue in judging this mockup and finding it wanting. I honestly don't think they changed the glass on CTC, it just looked different on ground level in the mock up. And the other materials incorporated in the CTC mock up look very similar on the tower as they did on the ground. Overall that mockup gave us a pretty good idea about the quality of materials that would be used on the tower and people were rightfully excited.

Once they get to the stage where they're building facade mockups, the chances of them making design changes to the facade materials is basically nil. So this is very likely what the first few floors of this tower will look like. People shouldn't overreact, but this is far from meaningless. I'd put a lot of stock in this as far what to expect quality of materials wise for this tower.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
It's our first look at the quality of the materials that will be used on this building. It's not a good first look.

Obviously the whole tower won't look like this as I pointed out and it's hard to judge a facade when it's covering 75% of a building, much less when you're looking at nothing more than a mockup. This tower could end up looking great.

But I see no issue in judging this mockup and finding it wanting. I honestly don't think they changed the glass on CTC, it just looked different on ground level in the mock up. And the other materials incorporated in the CTC mock up look very similar on the tower as they did on the ground. Overall that mockup gave us a pretty good idea about the quality of materials that would be used on the tower and people were rightfully excited.

Once they get to the stage where they're building facade mockups, the chances of them making design changes to the facade materials is basically nil. So this is very likely what the first few floors of this tower will look like. People shouldn't overreact, but this is far from meaningless. I'd put a lot of stock in this as far what to expect quality of materials wise for this tower.
well let's hope for the best. They brought in Cecil Baker as consultant to help improve the design and if recall this project got minimal criticism from the CDR committee. Cecil Baker is very picky when he comments on OTHERS projects so let's hope his involvement here means this will be a quality building.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 6:55 PM
Philly Pholly

I see nothing unusual or outstanding. I see a very muted structure with a silvery, glassy tower shaft. Completely acceptable, if only just. It will be a nice addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
well let's hope for the best. They brought in Cecil Baker as consultant to help improve the design and if recall this project got minimal criticism from the CDR committee. Cecil Baker is very picky when he comments on OTHERS projects so let's hope his involvement here means this will be a quality building.
One recent Baker designed building is One Riverside, which is nothing special when it comes to its details and detailing. There was lots of talk about the side that faces the river and its louvered panels. But its hard, maybe impossible to tell without inside info, what's the architects responsibility and what has been changed for all sorts or reasons. Remember the saying that architects every where are known for, "trash for cash"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:09 PM
BANNED

It appears this project has shrunk- perhaps that's why it's been delayed- redesign. Zoning permit has been issued for new structure with height of 271ft. I would assume that is about 24-25 floors. Looks like it it moving forward. Another zoning permit was recently issued for unity of use of 4 parcels.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive