HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:36 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUM View Post
Tropics,

My original post was discussing the importance of engaging the public to ensure that Calgary continues to see better architecture. I found that while in Calgary, outside of this forum, there was little discussion on design by the professional community that involved the public. To ensure better design I feel you need public support. In order for this to happen the public needs to feel part of the process or that they have a voice. The industry (architects, urban designers, landscape architects, planners, etc.) should be that voice. From the architecture side that I was familiar with there was and is still a lack of this as only a few in the industry are true advocates; like Marc Boutin, Jeremy Sturgess and small handful of others. What is needed is for the all members of the industry who are shaping this city to also show their support and begin participating in these discussions that engage the public; ie. public lectures, debates, etc.

Living in Vancouver now I have been observing the processes here and participating in the design community and public discussions to see what does and doesn't work.

I think the ideas and input shared in our forums need to extend to the public and design community so that Calgary can continue to raise the bar with every new project. Europe is a good example of the public demanding better from the building and design industry. I think Calgary can reach a similar level but it requires the building and design community to engage the public more in the debate.

If you could imagine Calagary's citizens being as passionate about design as many of us in these forums then there is no way developers, builders, designers and the city could avoid doing nothing but great projects.

That is what I was trying to share before, but one member chose to accuse me of being an elitist and contributing nothing of value in my posts. I'm an advocate for great design and also for seeing Calgary succeed in this area. Even though I no longer live there at the present moment I still feel a vested interested and excited at what as been accomplished to date.
The critical thing is to get a large portion of the population involved, such that the vocal minority don't over run the process with their ideas for architecture and design, we need the forward thinking people to direct the discussions and process in the forward direction

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
They have the signalized (Red/Amber/Green) crosswalk a block away. Right at the bridge really wouldn't have worked, because of the grade difference from the dyke. It would have required stairs, or a cumbersome ramp. A block away allows the path to make the grade gradually.
Would it be that difficult and/or expensive to have stair going directly north to Memorial and still have the gradual ramp coming from the east?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 3:25 PM

Thought I would share this online article on the Peace Bridge from World Architecture News.

http://backstage.worldarchitecturene...pload_id=19422

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 3:28 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Yes the bridge is done, but now that it's finished, I think it should be ok to critique the final product. Feel free to stop visiting this thread.
I have no problem with critiquing. I was explaining to tropics the reason why people were not being receptive to his critique anymore. We have already been down this road.

It was a joke Ramsay.....a joke. Now cheer up, you sound grumpy again lately.

Last edited by kw5150; Mar 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Thought I would share this online article on the Peace Bridge from World Architecture News.

Great to see it get the cover today! too bad the article speaks more about the controversy than the bridge itself.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:09 PM
Calgary Martindale

Jian Gohmeshi, CBC radio, is doing a feature, on the bridge, as I write this.

Edit: it sounded like a lead to a feature, but nothing further - sorry

Last edited by Blader; Mar 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM. Reason: update

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:31 PM
YIMBY

Quote:

Anyone know about this publication? They have used my photos which I don't mind but they haven't provided proper credit, to which I take exception

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Anyone know about this publication? They have used my photos which I don't mind but they haven't provided proper credit, to which I take exception
You should mind, that's not cool.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:01 PM
Round Head

Quote:
I thought those photos looked familiar.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Too bad the comment section is moderated.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:07 PM

Quote:
They are based out of London, should be some contact info on their site somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 5:14 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
They are based out of London, should be some contact info on their site somewhere.
I've emailed the Chairman and the CEO, so I hope to hear something back soon

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 11:19 PM

Full Mountain,

You may want to contact the design firm for the project you photographed as they may have used your photos. A lot of what is submitted to WAN is done by the firms who completed the work.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I have no problem with critiquing. I was explaining to tropics the reason why people were not being receptive to his critique anymore. We have already been down this road.

It was a joke Ramsay.....a joke. Now cheer up, you sound grumpy again lately.
Sorry for some reason I totally missed your happy face.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Yeah except that the post I made directly before yours was where I was discussing the color of the bridge, the glass panels, and the lighting as possibly being the main issue I had and that by simply changing those the entire way the bridge comes off would change dramatically and possibly look quite alot more appealing to me.

You see, it was not just the same stuff being said over and over, in the post RIGHT before you posted I had taken into account what people had said in response to me, I thought about what they said, I thought about the bridge in a different way, and I found that the "design" of the bridge might not be the biggest issue I have with it.

So perhaps read the previous posts next time before making off the cuff quips. Nothing I said was "rehashed" it was all new and based on the previous discussion and it was NOT all negative.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:50 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Full Mountain,

You may want to contact the design firm for the project you photographed as they may have used your photos. A lot of what is submitted to WAN is done by the firms who completed the work.
Are you thinking Calatrava? or Stantec/Graham?

Seems to me it is the publications responsibility to ensure proper credit for work

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:05 AM

Deleted.

Last edited by ggopher; Mar 28, 2012 at 6:12 AM. Reason: Delete this post. Improper credit assigned to Calgary Herald.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:11 AM

Very cool shot of the peace bridge from the petitpiano's Tumblr site

http://petitpiano.tumblr.com/post/19...om-the-weather

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:00 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Are you thinking Calatrava? or Stantec/Graham?

Seems to me it is the publications responsibility to ensure proper credit for work
World Architecture News got back to me and has placed my name on my photos and was very apologetic and complementary. I very much appreciate them responding promptly to my request.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
Yeah except that the post I made directly before yours was where I was discussing the color of the bridge, the glass panels, and the lighting as possibly being the main issue I had and that by simply changing those the entire way the bridge comes off would change dramatically and possibly look quite alot more appealing to me.

You see, it was not just the same stuff being said over and over, in the post RIGHT before you posted I had taken into account what people had said in response to me, I thought about what they said, I thought about the bridge in a different way, and I found that the "design" of the bridge might not be the biggest issue I have with it.

So perhaps read the previous posts next time before making off the cuff quips. Nothing I said was "rehashed" it was all new and based on the previous discussion and it was NOT all negative.
Don't worry - KW thinks he's more important on this forum than he actually is. Keep posting your thoughts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates