HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 4:53 PM

These estimated numbers were released waay before the actual official census
count..I thought I seen them middle of 2011.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 5:26 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
2011 population estimates are now available: http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo05a-eng.htm

It remains odd how inconsistent the differences between 2011 census results and 2011 population estimates are. For example, Winnipeg has a 2011 population estimate of 762.8 and a census count of 730,018 (-4%). Sherbrooke, on the other hand, has a 2011 population estimate of 199.9 and a census count of 201,890 (+1%).
Could that be because Winnipeg has a large ... how does one put this ... "underclass"? ... population that is proportionately less likely to respond to census questionnaires than the population of a city like Sherbrooke would be? Sherbrooke is also a university town (or metro, assuming Lennoxville is included) so maybe those are harder to estimate accurately?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 7:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Could that be because Winnipeg has a large ... how does one put this ... "underclass"? ... population that is proportionately less likely to respond to census questionnaires than the population of a city like Sherbrooke would be? Sherbrooke is also a university town (or metro, assuming Lennoxville is included) so maybe those are harder to estimate accurately?
It is possible, but there's a good chance the same people would be excluded from the population estimates. I suspect the estimates are based off of a smaller random sampling but I can't find a page explaining the methodology.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Its possible for sure, but is it enough to make a 32k difference? That, I'm not so sure about but it may very well be the case or at the very least a strong contributing factor, especially considering censuses are determined by who responds to them, whereas population estimates more accurately reflect the people living

These 2011 estimations released were more in line with what I thought the census would have originally revealed, with Winnipeg being right at ~762k

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 8:35 PM

The population estimate for St. John's is actually slightly under the census numbers (196,200 vs. 196,966). Not quite sure how to explain that, the estimate could be undercounting both the student and foreign populations.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I wonder what the population of Canada is during the day. Between flights and cross boarder people. I know no one has the answer but I'm just kinda wondering what you guys may think...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 2:00 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Lennoxville has been part of the city of Sherbrooke since 2002 I think. Sherbrooke has something like 10 students per 100 inhabitants (75% of which are not from Sherbrooke) so it would make sense if the numbers varied a little bit. (source)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada