HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 6:36 AM

Those unit sizes are actually quite small. Interesting.

As to answer fountainpen's question, basically what paradigm said. The concierge is I believe 7am to 11pm 7 days a week. From 11pm to 7am they have a security guard stationed. Cameras everywhere (even in the elevators) and they do monitor/record so I think that's kept the "crap" down to levels you'd expect in a set of towers with over 700 units.

Of course watch for the odd dog landmine in the grass or in the underground parking because some people with dogs still have no respect for anyone else, but that's the worst I've seen so far and am coming up on 1 year living here.

Paradigm is also correct on the walls being a bit thin for concrete but for the most part unless you're completely quiet and your neighbors quite loud you won't hear them. Between the 1 bedroom units, the bedrooms are back to back and you _can_ hear a bit of sound once in a while but not nearly as bad as in many wood-frame constructed units.

That's the nature of living in apartments anyways. If people want no sound they should buy a detached home on acreage.

Being so close to Skytrain though is great.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
In 2004 I was designing 4 storey C2 projects in East Van with 780sf two-bedroom units, and I thought they were cramped then. With 640 square feet, one of the "bedrooms" is probably a windowless den.
The smaller 2 bedrooms also eliminated the 2nd washroom. That saves about 50-75 square feet worth of space.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Between the 1 bedroom units, the bedrooms are back to back and you _can_ hear a bit of sound once in a while but not nearly as bad as in many wood-frame constructed units.
I would pay a bit more for concrete to avoid woodframe. The noise level makes a big difference between the 2 choices

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:31 AM
Park Place Surrey

surrey park place living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
I would pay a bit more for concrete to avoid woodframe. The noise level makes a big difference between the 2 choices
I hope I'm doing this right. I just joined this forum and it's my 1st time using one. I found this forum on Google after doing a search for Park Place Living since I am a new homeowner and was hoping to connect and talk to other homeowners (or nice renters) in this building. I found that for the most part, everyone is pretty good on my floor except one neighbor is exceptionally bad and noisy. Here are my few questions and I apologize if I'm not posting in the right area, I'm new to this. I came here because I'd like to:
* meet other residents online or in person, especially homeowners
* find out how to attend strata meetings or vote for strata council or be involved in it for these towers
* want to know if anyone else has noise troubles with neighbors
thank you, urban geisha
sfu surrey campus student / home owner

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:41 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Welcome to the forum! SkyScraperPage is a place where people from around the world (in this case, Vancouver) get together to discuss urban development issues and urban development itself.

I believe that there is at least one person that lives in Park Place or the original Infinity tower that should be able to call themselves out.

Your strata bylaws or meeting minutes (received or posted monthly in a common area, in your mailbox, or under your door) should specify where and when the next strata meeting is. This guide should answer some more of your questions: http://www.housing.gov.bc.ca/pub/str...011%202012.pdf

I hope that helps!

(Former SFU Surrey Campus Student here too)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbangeisha View Post
I hope I'm doing this right. I just joined this forum and it's my 1st time using one. I found this forum on Google after doing a search for Park Place Living since I am a new homeowner and was hoping to connect and talk to other homeowners (or nice renters) in this building. I found that for the most part, everyone is pretty good on my floor except one neighbor is exceptionally bad and noisy. Here are my few questions and I apologize if I'm not posting in the right area, I'm new to this. I came here because I'd like to:
* meet other residents online or in person, especially homeowners
* find out how to attend strata meetings or vote for strata council or be involved in it for these towers
* want to know if anyone else has noise troubles with neighbors
thank you, urban geisha
sfu surrey campus student / home owner
I had a friend who rented a room in the building there at one time. The majority of people who owns dogs in there usually walk them in Holland Park, and there are a lot of dogs. I suspect that would be a great place to meet local home owners. You could also talk to the guard at the door if you have any questions. I do know that where my friend lived she was having problems with loud barking dogs in another residence.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Welcome to the forum! SkyScraperPage is a place where people from around the world (in this case, Vancouver)
You mean there's MORE??
I thought the world just ended with the Fraser Valley...

Greetings, UrbanGeisha I've been interested in the Park Place towers ever since they were Infinity 2/3 and now I find myself deeply involved with lusting after the Park Avenue development across the street. When Infinity 1 first went up, there was a lot of noise about how it was a poor place to live, there were more renters than owners, drugs/prostitution/public intoxication, etc. Does anyone know if it's cleaned up at all and whether or not those same similar problems will end up in Park Avenue?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
I found that for the most part, everyone is pretty good on my floor except one neighbor is exceptionally bad and noisy. r
There are rules in the strata where you have to keep noise to minimum after a certain time (usually 10 pm). If your neighbour makes loud noises after that time, you can file a complaint to the strata.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:33 AM
testify

^ yeah, or just walk down the hill and knock on the door for a chat, instead of instantly escalating the situation, all passive-aggressive. knocking on a neighbor's door is historically shown to be one of the easiest and most effective ways to meet someone who lives down the hall from you.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
^ yeah, or just walk down the hill and knock on the door for a chat, instead of instantly escalating the situation, all passive-aggressive. knocking on a neighbor's door is historically shown to be one of the easiest and most effective ways to meet someone who lives down the hall from you.
Sounds good in theory until you deal with a self-entitled douche bag in his twenties who says you have no right to knock on their door to communicate your complaint. Some people take that as a confrontational approach despite your sincere efforts for requesting course correction to their neighborly actions. What happens is that your face is known to the culprits and if things do escalate by way of strata penalizing the unit, you put yourself and property in a risky situation for being the cause. As such, it is some times better to express your complaint anonymously by leaving a friendly note on the door. After all, you're not trying to be a friend to them when they're a nuisance.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
Park Place Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Sounds good in theory until you deal with a self-entitled douche bag in his twenties who says you have no right to knock on their door to communicate your complaint. Some people take that as a confrontational approach despite your sincere efforts for requesting course correction to their neighborly actions. What happens is that your face is known to the culprits and if things do escalate by way of strata penalizing the unit, you put yourself and property in a risky situation for being the cause. As such, it is some times better to express your complaint anonymously by leaving a friendly note on the door. After all, you're not trying to be a friend to them when they're a nuisance.
Cypherus is really correct in my situation. Knocking on the door is NOT recommended. I was very polite, knocked on the door to kindly ask the neighbor to quiet down his extremely loud bass music party. He was a young man in his twenties, red in the face (Drunk or on drugs) and shouted at me with swear words that he could do what he want and did not care what I had to say. I spoke to the guard and he said never to knock on the door, because that escalates situations and also the neighbor will recognize you and can attack or harass you. After that, I learned from the security guard to just call in. In response to CoreyHolmes, the area is sitll being cleaned up. I honestly believe that Park Avenue will still have the same issues as Park Place, but being better since the d*****bags (lol, as someone previously called them) are being slowly moved out. To someone who mentioned that I could meet renters or owners at Holland Park, I tried that and stopped right away. Two of them looked like druggies/d*****bags talking about how they hated being fined for noise at my condo... so I was hoping this forum could bring me to the decent intelligent people at Park Place Living.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
Park Place Surrey

Oh, someone mentioned that I should be getting monthly strata notes. I don't get any. Does Park Place issue any out? Maybe I'm missing something here....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
Park Place Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
When Infinity 1 first went up, there was a lot of noise about how it was a poor place to live, there were more renters than owners, drugs/prostitution/public intoxication, etc. Does anyone know if it's cleaned up at all and whether or not those same similar problems will end up in Park Avenue?
Hi Cory,
From what I heard from 1 neighbor who is currently renting in the original Infinity 1, it's supposed to be still bad. He said it's a 'party place' and drug deals happen in that building and the lot. On a few weekends, I've seen police cars pull up to Infinity 1 and one night, I witnessed a violent and physical fist fight between 2 men in front of the door. I was about to call 911 but then someone beat me to it. But in the newer Park Place Tower 1 and Tower 2, it's much more cleaner and better managed. The reason why is because Infinity 1 was owned by a different management that went bankrupt, so it doesn't get as much attention and care as Tower 1 and Tower 2. I'm still in a little bit of a culture shock living here. I came from renting over 6 years in Coal Harbor, then decided to make the jump to become a homeowner and thought investing in Surrey would be a good idea (affordable enough for a graduate student just starting her job and I liked the idea of the mayor cleaning up the city). Thinking more clearly now, I shouldn't have done it. Not the safest environment for a young female to be living in. On evenings, I had some druggies / d*****bags approach me trying to make trouble or ask for money, and one fellow yanked my scarf trying to pull me down when I was boarding off the King George skytrain for no reason (these only happen in the evenings). I'd say about 30 - 40% of my evenings living here, I have run into trouble with either a noisy neighbor with parties/loud music, or a random lurker in the parking lot/skytrain area asking for money... now I only train before 7pm home, and I don't take evening walks at all with my dog anymore so I have not run into trouble anymore. One of my friend's friend was attacked and robbed in daylight on the train near surrey central station in front of the public (by a group of young men), and another one of my friend's college classmates had his iphone stolen on the skytrain at gateway station by 2 boys also in daylight.

To consider living here, best if you:
a) travel in groups in the evenings or avoid walking alone after 9pm
b) have a car and avoid public transit
c) research your condo's floor and neighbours before renting or buying

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Hi Cory,
From what I heard from 1 neighbor who is currently renting in the original Infinity 1, it's supposed to be still bad. He said it's a 'party place' and drug deals happen in that building and the lot. On a few weekends, I've seen police cars pull up to Infinity 1 and one night, I witnessed a violent and physical fist fight between 2 men in front of the door. I was about to call 911 but then someone beat me to it. But in the newer Park Place Tower 1 and Tower 2, it's much more cleaner and better managed. The reason why is because Infinity 1 was owned by a different management that went bankrupt, so it doesn't get as much attention and care as Tower 1 and Tower 2. I'm still in a little bit of a culture shock living here. I came from renting over 6 years in Coal Harbor, then decided to make the jump to become a homeowner and thought investing in Surrey would be a good idea (affordable enough for a graduate student just starting her job and I liked the idea of the mayor cleaning up the city). Thinking more clearly now, I shouldn't have done it. Not the safest environment for a young female to be living in. On evenings, I had some druggies / d*****bags approach me trying to make trouble or ask for money, and one fellow yanked my scarf trying to pull me down when I was boarding off the King George skytrain for no reason (these only happen in the evenings). I'd say about 30 - 40% of my evenings living here, I have run into trouble with either a noisy neighbor with parties/loud music, or a random lurker in the parking lot/skytrain area asking for money... now I only train before 7pm home, and I don't take evening walks at all with my dog anymore so I have not run into trouble anymore. One of my friend's friend was attacked and robbed in daylight on the train near surrey central station in front of the public (by a group of young men), and another one of my friend's college classmates had his iphone stolen on the skytrain at gateway station by 2 boys also in daylight.

Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experiences living in the area and in the tower. Despite the grandeur and romantic vision Park Place and Park Avenue have set aside for them selves in the pre-sale phase, the area is still a magnet for unsavory people doing indecorous things.

I work in the area and was considering acquiring a unit in Park Place 2. All it took for me to change my decision was running into a mentally challenged person who was waving his fists at me while waiting outside the building. Some guys wearing hoodies over their hat (typical Jedi wannabe look) walking out of the building smelling of weed was the final validation to forget it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 12:28 AM
Park Place Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I work in the area and was considering acquiring a unit in Park Place 2. All it took for me to change my decision was running into a mentally challenged person who was waving his fists at me while waiting outside the building. Some guys wearing hoodies over their hat (typical Jedi wannabe look) walking out of the building smelling of weed was the final validation to forget it.
Lol! Jedi hoodies. I wish I had researched the area more before buying. I had gone in the daytime and it was nice and clean, so I did not do my diligent research. Comparing the daytime to the evening, the people are literally night and day. Daytime = some dbags and regular working professionals. Nighttime = the weirdos and creeps come out. I'm trying to figure a way to get out somehow! If anyone has any creative idea, please do share!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Hi Cory,

I have pretty much lived in Surrey central my whole life I have yet to run into any of these problems you're talking about.
Perhaps it could be cause I am guy. But I have never felt the need to walk in groups or not be out after 9pm around the central area. In fact many times I'll go to holland park after 9 since its a nice place to be after that hour and see lit up.

Well I have heard of problems in the past the area has taken a great turn for the better and has cleaned up a lot.

Although I do have to agree with you on the car thing. While if wanting to go out to Vancouver is not a problem. Traveling anywhere with in the city itself is a pain to do with transit.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:56 AM
Shoebox Dweller

That's the tough part of being an owner. Your only option might be to try to rent it out and move somewhere else. Of course, you will have to find somebody that you can trust with your unit, but that is probably your best option now. If you go down that route, take a look at New West. It's undergoing a dramatic transformation and despite just being over the river from Surrey, it feels far safer and much more working class rather than non-working class (literally).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:14 PM

I'll definitely acknowledge the area is not perfect, but I've never experienced anything too outrageous. Yes there's some creepy looking people, especially at night, but that's the neighbourhood and they do exist everywhere. I'd still say much of Downtown is as bad, if not worse. I feel much safer in Surrey than the DTES bar none. But it depends on expectations - I don't expect Surrey to be Coal Harbour. The demographics are completely different. It is cleaning up, but these things take time.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainpen View Post
trying to rent a place there for work(walk to work)+commute half of wk to Langley to work.
building looks ok on the outside.
What about the inside,mostly students? SFU, ethnic mix typical of GVR or different?
Law and order?
24 hour concierge really 24 hours 1/Building or one guard shared between few buildings in daytime only?

Any blocked toilets still from blocked toilet drainage ?

thank you for your advice re living condition inside these Skyscrapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
It's all good. More responsible mix of folks than other towers around here. No false fire alarms of prostitutes in the underground parking, stories I've ever from other places. There's some ethnic families, older Asians, some young rowdies. I swear half the building is empty. It's pretty quiet. Concierge is based on tower two, but they check around from time to time. Amenities are free which is nice. Thin walls for a concrete building, at least between units.
I have the same opinion as paradigm4. The place is good. You see a mix of ethnic and age diversity. Young couples and families, working professionals, elderly people, SFU students, etc. Most of the people I've talked to work in or near Surrey.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I came from renting over 6 years in Coal Harbor, then decided to make the jump to become a homeowner and thought investing in Surrey would be a good idea (affordable enough for a graduate student just starting her job and I liked the idea of the mayor cleaning up the city). Thinking more clearly now, I shouldn't have done it. Not the safest environment for a young female to be living in. On evenings, I had some druggies / d*****bags approach me trying to make trouble or ask for money, and one fellow yanked my scarf trying to pull me down when I was boarding off the King George skytrain for no reason (these only happen in the evenings). I'd say about 30 - 40% of my evenings living here, I have run into trouble with either a noisy neighbor with parties/loud music, or a random lurker in the parking lot/skytrain area asking for money... now I only train before 7pm home, and I don't take evening walks at all with my dog anymore so I have not run into trouble anymore. One of my friend's friend was attacked and robbed in daylight on the train near surrey central station in front of the public (by a group of young men), and another one of my friend's college classmates had his iphone stolen on the skytrain at gateway station by 2 boys also in daylight.

Wow, it looks like you've come across a few bad experiences! I've had none of them and have been living in Park Place for almost a year now.

In terms of neighbours, I've been lucky enough to live in a very quiet floor, and neighbours upstairs and downstairs are also really quiet (I live in the upper floors of PP1). I only remember two nights being particularly noisy from neighbours upstairs: New Year and another night this year. And both nights the noise came down pretty quickly (either someone complained or parties were short )

In terms of neighbourhood I have to admit there are nicer places at night in other areas of Metro Vancouver (and North Surrey is definitely not like Coal Harbour). While I've never had any problems of any type (I've been at Holland Park a few times during the night), I usually avoid walking around during night hours and I avoid the Surrey Central area as much as I can.

What you mention about the Skytrain... well, I don't think Park Place -or Surrey- are to blame. Along the Skytrain corridor you'll see sketchy people (which reminds me how unease I've felt around the Granville and Commercial-Broadway stations, way more than around any station in Surrey).

I believe the King George/Surrey Central area is progressively getting better. Projects as Park Avenue and 3 Civic Plaza will continue bringing quality owners and tenants to the area which will help pushing unwanted people out as rental and property prices go higher. I think Surrey will just get better as time goes on. I think so at the point that I'm even considering buying at Park Place sometime in the future (so, let me know if you're really considering selling )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley