HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 2:50 PM
Honored Member

BIRMINGHAM FORUM MEET

For those who may not have noticed the announcement for the Birmingham Forum Meet posted at the top of the Southern States section (*cough* Blazer85 *cough*), please go here for more information:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149888

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:27 AM
Closed account

What' Good About Birmingham

The 2008 Regions Charity Classic wraps up tomorrow at Ross Bridge. The tournament is approaching $10 million donated to Alabama charities!

Check out the website:
www.regionscharityclassic.com

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:08 PM
Closed account

What's Good About Birmingham

Going Fishin'?

Quote:
Anglers will cast lines in East Lake fishing rodeo
Friday, June 06, 2008
ANNE RUISI
News staff writer

About 9,000 pounds of fish - that's 4½ tons - await anglers participating in Saturday's 11th annual Family Fishing Rodeo at East Lake, said Stanley B. Robinson, spokesman for the Birmingham Park and Recreation Board.

More than 3,000 people are expected to try to hook the catfish and bass that were stocked in the lake Thursday Robinson said. Last year's event drew 3,500.

The fishing rodeo, 7 a.m.-1 p.m., is a family-oriented event that draws people of all ages from throughout the Birmingham metro area and even neighboring counties, Robinson said. It's not unusual to see three generations of one family - parents, children and grandparents - attend together.

This year's theme is "Fish Hugger," a play on the term "tree hugger," Robinson said. A number of environmental organizations and the Keep Birmingham Beautiful Board will distribute information and Alabama Partners for Clean Air will do automobile emissions checks for free.

Also, there will be recycling bins at the site for newspapers, aluminum and plastic, Robinson said.

The fishing rodeo is free but anglers must provide their own fishing rigs and bait.

There are a number of prizes, and participants must register to win, Robinson said. Free ticket forms with registration information are available from any Academy Sports and Outdoors store, Plott & Campbell Hardware in East Lake or by calling the park board at 254-2391, Robinson said.

E-mail: aruisi@bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 1:48 PM

Solvay Pharmaceuticals is expected to make an announcement soon as to whether they will choose Birmingham or not.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 1:50 PM
Closed account

Here's your chance - the Birmingham Metropolitan Planning Organization has put together a survey on its website to poll area residents on their opinions of our roadway and transit system. Click the link below and choose "Survey".

www.bhammpo.org/oncourse.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:43 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
Here's your chance - the Birmingham Metropolitan Planning Organization has put together a survey on its website to poll area residents on their opinions of our roadway and transit system. Click the link below and choose "Survey".

www.bhammpo.org/oncourse.html
Thanks for the link, Tim! I just completed the survey.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 8:22 PM

I just completed the survey...

BTW, here's a nice bit of recognition for UAB Hospital.

Quote:
UAB Selected as Finalist for Hospital of the Year
UAB Hospital Among Top 12 Hospitals
Last Edited: Wednesday, 25 Jun 2008, 2:17 PM CDT
Created: Wednesday, 25 Jun 2008, 2:17 PM CDT

UAB Birmingham, Ala. (WBRC-TV MyFOXAL.com)

The American Alliance of Healthcare Providers selected UAB Hospital as one of 12 finalists for Hospital of the Year.

The Alliance bases the award on a wide range of criteria, everything from a review of patient literature and hospital web pages to the number of physicians, nurses and surgical procedures performed.

UAB had earned a quarterly award from the alliance earlier this year, making the hospital eligible for the prestigious award which will be announced in August.

"Being named a finalist acknowledges our pursuit of excellence and our belief that patients should always be our first priority," said UAB Hospital CEO Michael Waldrum.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:44 PM
Closed account

Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport

The Airport Authority Board has officially approved the name change. The only remaining hurdle is approval by the FAA. Mayor Langford also unveiled a hideous logo that I sincerely hope bites the dust.

Personally, I like the name change. Shuttlesworth has a very "airportesque" flavor to it and offers a little individuality.

The name change is supposed to be incorporated into the upcoming terminal renovation - which I heard today was on hold.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 5:47 PM
Closed account

My wife and I have been carpooling lately... wish I had some sort of decent transit to ride

Quote:
Regional planning commission sets up more park and ride for commuters
Thursday, July 17, 2008
GINNY MacDONALD
News staff writer

The Birmingham Regional Planning Commission has set up six more park and ride lots for commuters across Jefferson County.

The lots are in addition to the two on Interstate 65, at exit 284 northbound and exit 219 southbound.

The lots will offer between 150 and 240 parking spaces. Commuter spots will be designated by either a sign or green striping, said Lindsay Smith of the RPC.

The lots can be used now, Smith said, but it will be about six weeks before all the striping is done or the signs go up.

The new lots are at:

First Baptist Church of Pelham (at U.S. 31 south), 2867 Pelham Parkway, Pelham.

Hueytown Baptist Church (at I-20/59 south), 3000 Dwaine Ave., Hueytown.

Forestdale Church of God (at U.S. 78 west), 1433 Tomahawk Road, Birmingham.

United Methodist Church of Center Point (at Alabama 75 north), 2129 Center Point Parkway, Birmingham.

Northpark Baptist Church (at I-59 north), 5700 Deerfoot Parkway, Trussville.

Greater Emanuel Temple (at I-59 north), 7901 Second Avenue South in East Lake.

Each church entered into an agreement with the commission under which the RPC will provide liability insurance coverage and contract for regular cleaning of the lots. There is no cost to the church, Smith said.

Another lot is under design by Gresham, Smith & Partners at the Shelby County Airport. The lot design is about 70 percent complete.

The lots were funded by the Birmingham Metropolitan Planning Organization.

Additional lots will be added as contracts can be negotiated. To suggest a location or for additional information, contact Lindsay Smith, lsmith@rpcgb.org or 205-264-8421.

For carpool or vanpool information, log on to www.commutesmart.org or contact Sean Saffle, ssaffle@rpcgb.org , 264-8429.

E-mail: gmacdonald@ bhamnews.com

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 7:38 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
My wife and I have been carpooling lately... wish I had some sort of decent transit to ride
My wife and I are doing the same.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 11:17 PM
Trendy.

Better than having your position eliminated. Looks I'll be in Houston or Miami by September.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 1:47 PM
WAR EAGLE

Mass Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sandford View Post
My wife and I are doing the same.
Thankfully...we have the start of something good here in Dallas/Fort Worth. I ride the train daily....and ridership on the TRE (a heavy rail train that runs between dowtown Fort Worth and Dallas) has increased to almost 13,000 a day. If we keep this pace....we will go over 3 million for the year.
http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

In Fort Worth, the "T" (our local transit authority) is working through the environmental review process for the Southwest to Northeast rail line. This line will run from the far southwest sections of Fort Worth Northeast...ending in the airport. At that point..a rider can transfer to the line that goes into Downtown Dallas.
http://www.sw2nerail.com/

It appears that Dallas will have most of the new green line completed by next year. This line will connect to the Denton line. When completed...you will be able to ride rail from downtown Dallas to downtown Denton.
http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/greenline.asp

Dallas should also have the 14 mile orange line completed by 2013. This line connects at the airport to the southwest to northeast line out of Fort Worth
http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/orangeline.asp

Both Downtown Fort Worth and Dallas are currently laying the plans for downtown streetcar lines. I beleive that Fort Worth is going to use local dollars which will reduce the timline for opening to just a few year....maybe 2011 or 2012. I am not sure about funding for the streetcar in Dallas.
http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/downtowndallas.asp

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 2:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Better than having your position eliminated. Looks I'll be in Houston or Miami by September.

I'm so sorry to hear that... at least it's not Buffalo. Do you have your house for sale yet?

Last edited by | BRAVO |; Jul 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 12:05 AM
Trendy.

I'm going to rent it for awhile.

Which brings me to something else. It was broken into and robbed today.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 12:21 PM
Closed account

That sucks! I hope they didn't get much.
It happens everywhere. Somebody has been stealing lawn equipment from open garages in my neighborhood... in Shelby County... where my wife can feel safe.

Is it Miami or Houston?

Last edited by | BRAVO |; Jul 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 2:36 PM
Trendy.

House-ton.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 3:44 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
I'm going to rent it for awhile.

Which brings me to something else. It was broken into and robbed today.

So sorry to hear about your position being eliminated and your house being robbed, Justin. Are you definitely going to move, or are you thinking of finding another job in Birmingham?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 4:48 PM
Trendy.

I've already accepted a new position with JPMorgan Chase in Houston... I just arrived here today for a party for corporate new hires... at least I'll be working in a 1,000 footer!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 4:55 PM
Closed account

Quote:
That sucks! I hope they didn't get much.
It happens everywhere. Somebody has been stealing lawn equipment from open garages in my neighborhood... in Shelby County... where my wife can feel safe.

Is it Miami or Houston?
I hate Miami. I do not know why, nice people there but the place is not that great to me. I never want to go back at all.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 7:28 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
I've already accepted a new position with JPMorgan Chase in Houston... I just arrived here today for a party for corporate new hires... at least I'll be working in a 1,000 footer!
Oh, I thought you were talking about being forced by Regions to transfer to Miami or Houston. I didn't realize you were looking at positions with other banks in those cities. Congrats on the new job!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast