HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Bank of America Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 7:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Thumbs up NEW YORK | Bank of America Tower | 1,200' Pinnacle / 945' Roof | 53 FLOORS | 2009

[Construction thread - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=44861]

http://www.cookplusfox.com/

BofA Tower at One Bryant Park

One Bryant Park
New York, New York
for The Durst Organization / Bank of America
2100000 sqft.

Early in 2008, an extraordinary crystalline skyscraper of steel, aluminum and glass will rise from the northwest corner of Bryant Park to illuminate Midtown Manhattan. Developed by the Durst Organization to house the New York headquarters of the Bank of America, it promises to reshape the urban skyline of the future as surely as did the famed Crystal Palace, the first glass and metal-frame building in America, when it rose from Bryant Park in 1853.

The design for the Bank of America Tower is inspired by the building's unique site within its Midtown location and the broader urban context. Located at the juncture of Sixth Avenue - a highly trafficked and commercially important artery - and 42nd Street, near Times Square, with its worldwide reputation as a critical center for arts and entertainment, the building strives to respond to these dense urban conditions. Starting from its base, which is designed to improve the complex pedestrian and transit circulation, to the overall massing, continuing up to the tip of the spire, the form is a new character amidst an impressive lineage of iconic skyscrapers, from the Chrysler Building to the east to the old McGraw Hill Building to the west.

The Bank of America Tower will be noted for its pioneering integration of inspired design with innovative, high-performance environmental technologies. In a city of "firsts," it will be the first high-rise to reach for the US Green Building Council's coveted Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum certification. To enhance the health and productivity of its tenants, reduce waste, and promote environmental sustainability, the building will use a number of strategies. An exquisitely clear, high-performance glass curtain wall permits maximum sunlight and views to interior spaces, while shielding out unwanted heat. An advanced under-floor air delivery system facilitates more controllable, healthful, and efficient heating and cooling while providing highly filtered fresh air. Efficient power comes from an on-site cogeneration plant, which works in concert with an ice-storage system to reduce the building’s peak energy demands. The tower will also capture and re-use nearly all rainwater and wastewater, saving millions of gallons of precious clean water each year. A high percentage of the building's materials come from recycled and renewable sources within 500 miles of New York City.

The building’s faceted crystal form lets more daylight reach the street, while capturing and refracting the changing angles of the sun. In contrast to this sleek exterior, the base of the building locks into the urban fabric with natural, earth-bound elements that relate to the human scale of the street. Like a front porch, an Urban Garden Room at the corner of Sixth Avenue and 43rd Street will provide public space and act as an extension of Bryant Park.

Not just another corporate headquarters, the Bank of America Tower will shine as a beacon of environmental intelligence, sustainability and health.

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/MID/...Comparison.png

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/archite...architects.htm

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/new_yor...ryant_park.htm

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 7:33 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 6:37 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I've never really liked the design for this building, but that's a great photo!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 1:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 10:17 PM

Looks like a well thought out building, more creative then the similar NY Times Tower.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 4:21 AM
Go Saxons!!

My favorite recent addition to New York by far

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 11:03 PM
JoeCooper

OMG! Judging by those new photos posted by NYGUY, are they actually commencing more work on the upper floors which mostly includes construction on the wind turbine?

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Jan 6, 2010 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
OMG! Judging by those new photos posted by NYGUY, are they actually commencing more work on the upper floors which mostly includes construction on the wind turbine?
I believe the wind turbine idea was scrapped. But this tower definitely adds a new dynamic to the skyline...

Cookingardener

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:13 PM
Editor

Great pictures. I whould like to see them on Wikipedia. Those images are very old.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 5:12 AM

Taken by me last night (1/6)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 1:50 AM
JoeCooper

Awesome shots Canadate and NYGUY! Please keep this post active when possible, I cannot get enough shots of this building. Plus, it seems like they are always making up-to-date improvements on it. From the shots Canadate took last night, it appears that they have been continuing to work the bugs out of the lighting...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 10:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Awesome shots Canadate and NYGUY! Please keep this post active when possible, I cannot get enough shots of this building. Plus, it seems like they are always making up-to-date improvements on it. From the shots Canadate took last night, it appears that they have been continuing to work the bugs out of the lighting...
Thanks and sure thing..will post when I can. And I was wondering about the lights towards the top. I wasn't sure if that row was supposed to be missing or not, it's been bothering me for a little while.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 4:36 PM
Editor

floor-count

Why is the Bank of America Tower so tall and has only 54 floors??? Have a look at other towers of that size, that have at least 70 stories. For example the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong. This building contains 72 stories and is only about three feet taller.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 11:06 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Why is the Bank of America Tower so tall and has only 54 floors??? Have a look at other towers of that size, that have at least 70 stories. For example the Bank of China Tower in Hong Kong. This building contains 72 stories and is only about three feet taller.
First, technically the floor count is 58 floors if you include the mechanical floors. Second, today buildings are built with better quality and that includes the floor-to-floor height being higher than in the past. Look at the Chrysler for instance, even though the highest floor is the 77th floor, the height of the last floor about street level being the 77th floor is only at 857 feet this averaging only 11.13 feet per floor. Anothe example of this is that the new WTC's buildings will have higher floor-to-floor heights than the original as well. Hope this helps.

BTW, this building reminds me a lot of the Bank of China as well...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 2:46 PM
Editor

Quote:
First, technically the floor count is 58 floors if you include the mechanical floors. Second, today buildings are built with better quality and that includes the floor-to-floor height being higher than in the past. Look at the Chrysler for instance, even though the highest floor is the 77th floor, the height of the last floor about street level being the 77th floor is only at 857 feet this averaging only 11.13 feet per floor. Anothe example of this is that the new WTC's buildings will have higher floor-to-floor heights than the original as well. Hope this helps.

BTW, this building reminds me a lot of the Bank of China as well...
Thanks for explaining. But in fact, the Bank of China´s roof is after my knowledge taller than this (over 1,000ft). But it looks a little bit funny in NY´s tallest list: The Empire State has 102 stories, the second tallest 54, altough there are only 50ft between both.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Americans, are on average, much taller than the Cantonese :p

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 11:34 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by new.slang View Post
Americans, are on average, much taller than the Cantonese :p
I've met some tall Cantonese before, but I guess its just progress and better standards as time goes on. The same thing is happening with Asian buildings as well in additino to buildings in most every part of the world whether is is Latin America, the Middle East, or Europe as well...

Also, the Empire State Building essentially has a big mast/spire above 1,050 feet which contains no floors and is occupied only by stairwells/elevator shafts for the observatory on the very top which is the highest observation platform. There are really 87 floors in the Empire State Building if you take the 86 occupiable floors and add the one on the very top (observation level 102) of the mast/spire. Bank of America's highest floor (floor 58) is a little well above 900 feet. Still a large gap in floors between the two, but I hope this makes sense of things even more. If there were no observation platform at the very top of the mast/spire of the Empire State Building, I would guess the floor count would have stopped at 86. I hope this makes sense of things a little bit more...

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Jan 10, 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 11:09 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
Thanks and sure thing..will post when I can. And I was wondering about the lights towards the top. I wasn't sure if that row was supposed to be missing or not, it's been bothering me for a little while.
I completely agree, I am kind of annoyed about the missing light as well. There are still a lot of questions and loose ends about this building that have yet to be answered.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture