HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 25, 2015, 11:18 PM

From today, 1/25:

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 12:26 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post
From today, 1/25:

I'm not sure what if anything save getting rid of it all together can be done to lessen the view of the ginormous air conditioner on top of that garage but I really wish that thing would just dissapear. It's an eyesore and not exactly something you want to see looking out the window of your condo or hotel room. I feel sorry for those people in the 360 that have a level view of it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:20 AM
Everywhere all at once

Seriously dude, that garage is my single least favorite structure in existence downtown. It kills that entire block, and being surrounded by all the development in the vicinity makes it looks even worse. Also, not only are all the streets in that area still extremely wide and relatively lightly traveled (obviously a hold-over from the old state of downtown), but the lovely streetscape of 2nd and the reconstruction of 3rd and others in line with the great streets program makes that area look windswept and barren in comparison.

My hope, if nothing else, is that when they construct the new county courthouse, which I believe is intended to have a massive underground garage, that one can be retired and the land redeveloped. Republic Square could really become Austin's version of San Francisco's Union Square (or New York's...pick your favorite). Yes, it needs an upgrade to reactivate the space, but it also needs to be surrounded by active uses. Between the courthouse, ZaZa, that garage, and the post office site, there's a ton of potential.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:27 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Probably will happen eventually. That parking garage is on some prime real estate.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm not sure what if anything save getting rid of it all together can be done to lessen the view of the ginormous air conditioner on top of that garage but I really wish that thing would just dissapear. It's an eyesore and not exactly something you want to see looking out the window of your condo or hotel room. I feel sorry for those people in the 360 that have a level view of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Seriously dude, that garage is my single least favorite structure in existence downtown.

[SNIP]

My hope, if nothing else, is that when they construct the new county courthouse, which I believe is intended to have a massive underground garage, that one can be retired and the land redeveloped.
It's not just a garage, though. It houses one of downtown's chill water plants. That's why it has a ginormous air conditioner on top of it.

From Downtown Austin Blog back in 2010:

Chilled Water

Quote:
An underground network of pipes that provide chilled water to meet the cooling needs of multiple buildings. There are two chill water plants serving the downtown Austin district. The first is located in the state parking garage at 3rd and Nueces.
If you tear down the garage, you'd have to figure out where to put (and how to pay for) another chilled water plant.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 7:08 AM

This is a very recent photo of the ZaZa site posted on SSC. It appears the crane might be up already. I won't be Downtown this weekend, so can anyone confirm this? It looks too close to be the one for 5th & Colorado.

Photo: flickr, h_fakhr https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541...6/16270818690/

SSC Post: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...0&postcount=17

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 2:42 PM

The crane is not up. Site prep seems to be moving very slowly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 3:33 PM

That's the crane for 5th and Colorado.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 11:37 PM

From Sunday, February 8, 2015:

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
From Sunday, February 8, 2015:

This is a picture of what?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
The cleared lot where the Hotel Zaza and Apartments are supposed to go. It's the lot that's fenced off and has all the yellow & white surrounding it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 9:16 AM

Quote:
I sense some sarcasm.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I sense some sarcasm.
None intended....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 7:11 PM

I'll bet the folks living on the south side of that building just north of the Za Za aren't too crazy about losing their views, once it has finally been built...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:27 PM

Anybody have any news on Zaza? The same number of vehicles show up each day so there's ongoing activity, but not much actual work going on. The digging on the north side of the lot has pretty much been unchanged for the past month.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 12:23 AM

I've been wondering the same thing. Not much has happened on that lot since they knocked down the buildings and tore up the parking lot back in November.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 7:13 AM

Maybe they are letting workers on the nearby construction site park there to create the illusion that something is happening at the ZaZa site. I think there might be a problem with funding. This kind of reminds me of the way things progressed at the failed condo project on Lavaca and 17th or 18th that became a Hampton Inn eventually. They kept moving a bit of dirt on that site for two or three years before starting construction, and then they ran out of money in the middle of construction. I hope that is not the case. I think a 30 story hotel and apartment tower is a great thing for that corner.

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 6, 2015 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Maybe they are letting workers on the nearby construction site park there to create the illusion that something is happening at the ZaZa site. I think there might be a problem with funding. This kind of reminds me of the way things progressed at the failed condo project on Lavaca and 17th or 18th that became a Hampton Inn eventually. They kept moving a bit of dirt on that site for two or three years before starting construction, and then they ran out of money in the middle of construction. I hope that is not the case. I think a 30 story hotel and apartment tower is a great thing for that corner.
Is ZaZa a Nana? I hope not but this is not progressing as it should. The city should require developers to provide viable updates on major projects. Whether a project is built or not can affect others wanting to add businesses to a given area. Hotel ZaZa would increase retail and other ventures in the immediate area.. The Rosewood Crescent in Dallas is a complex with many businesses besides the hotel

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Is ZaZa a Nana? I hope not but this is not progressing as it should. The city should require developers to provide viable updates on major projects. Whether a project is built or not can affect others wanting to add businesses to a given area. Hotel ZaZa would increase retail and other ventures in the immediate area.. The Rosewood Crescent in Dallas is a complex with many businesses besides the hotel
It has been progressing slowly to this point. But I'm sure there's a good explanation for it. It's a little early to be contemplating it's demise.

I'm continually amazed as to how often people in this forum are ready to write off projects. This one has already broken ground and people are still doubting it! I understand that past disappointments may have left a negative taint people's minds. But this isn't the past. In the current Austin market, time and time again, many projects have proven that they *will* come to fruition. The national economy as a whole is getting better too. I see little reason for so much doubt/negativity.

Last edited by paul78701; Mar 6, 2015 at 6:40 PM. Reason: Fix grammar.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:45 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I wouldn't get too worried yet. I heard a lot of the construction projects in downtown will slow considerably or pause completely during SXSW to lessen the impact and congestion. Maybe they plan to pick up speed once SXSW is over. If they don't start moving quickly on it by the last week of March then I would be a little concerned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin