HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:38 AM

I saw that there was some infill going In at 3rd Ave and Culver. It's a small lot but it's nice to see these prime spaces filling in.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 7:48 PM

Does anyone know what is going in on these 2 lots near the Biltmore?

A bunch of 2-story apartment complexes were demolished a month or two ago, and it looks like the sites are getting prepped for construction now. They're at 24th St. & Highland.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUclimber View Post
Does anyone know what is going in on these 2 lots near the Biltmore?

A bunch of 2-story apartment complexes were demolished a month or two ago, and it looks like the sites are getting prepped for construction now. They're at 24th St. & Highland.
Biltmore Gateway
SWC 24th St and Highland: Buildings demolished. 480 apartments on 5 acres, 300 condominiums and a hotel on the remaining 3. 56'

Replaces the 378-unit Biltmore Club apartments

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 8:56 PM
BANNED

And don't forget the four story buildings between the dirt lots and the church will be The District apartments (227 units).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 10:02 PM

The Edison appears to be doing okay.

http://downtowndevil.com/2015/10/06/...-luxury-trend/

"Lyles said 15 out of 110 units sold within the first two weeks."

Good to see some quick sales with Edison before breaking ground, and Portland on the Park, with 33% sold.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
And don't forget the four story buildings between the dirt lots and the church will be The District apartments (227 units).
Huh, interesting. I just looked over and hadn't noticed that they're doing demo work on that existing building now.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Tho I will say this: Some of the stuff that will be coming online in Scottsdale like The Moderne (Portales and Goldwater) and Broadstone Waterfront (Via Soleri and Goldwater) are actually annoying for their anti-urban qualities despite their downtown location. It's like the 1980s never stopped there.
Alliance is really an awful developer. They've yet to develop one truly urban project, and their two planned projects (Broadstone Arts District and 3rd & Roosevelt) are just as poorly designed. This is the Midtown project (McDowell and Alvarado):

3rd & Roosevelt is especially frustrating as it requires bulldozing the Canvas building and the Bodega 420 house, yet has large "arts plazas" all around a stumpy 4-story building. With 20' sidewalks, there's absolutely no need for additional concrete space that will sit empty 29 days of the month. There's literally nothing but concrete planned for the area that Paz currently sits.

3RD & Roosevelt will displace at least 4 potential retail spaces, and though it will have a massive frontage along Roosevelt, the site plan shows a tiny bit of retail near 5th Street, large enough for maybe 1 restaurant in each. The rest of Roosevelt is lined with what has to be the largest leasing center in the world. Combined with iLuminate and Linear's empty ground levels, there's going to be a huge hole in the center of RRow.

A project that can be added to the list is 504 Roosevelt by Eric Brown. It's moving through zoning variances, and will be a 3-story mixed use infill on the corner of 5th St/Roosevelt adjacent to Artisan Village. This is a perfect example of the kind of building that is needed in the small vacant parcels scattered throughout the area south of Roosevelt. Ground level has retail, which Brown has always been able to lease, with 10 apartments above. http://www.tomecakdesign.com/

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 1:44 PM

Deleted

Last edited by azsunsurfer; Oct 20, 2015 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Alliance is really an awful developer. They've yet to develop one truly urban project, and their two planned projects (Broadstone Arts District and 3rd & Roosevelt) are just as poorly designed. This is the Midtown project (McDowell and Alvarado):

3rd & Roosevelt is especially frustrating as it requires bulldozing the Canvas building and the Bodega 420 house, yet has large "arts plazas" all around a stumpy 4-story building. With 20' sidewalks, there's absolutely no need for additional concrete space that will sit empty 29 days of the month. There's literally nothing but concrete planned for the area that Paz currently sits.

3RD & Roosevelt will displace at least 4 potential retail spaces, and though it will have a massive frontage along Roosevelt, the site plan shows a tiny bit of retail near 5th Street, large enough for maybe 1 restaurant in each. The rest of Roosevelt is lined with what has to be the largest leasing center in the world. Combined with iLuminate and Linear's empty ground levels, there's going to be a huge hole in the center of RRow.

A project that can be added to the list is 504 Roosevelt by Eric Brown. It's moving through zoning variances, and will be a 3-story mixed use infill on the corner of 5th St/Roosevelt adjacent to Artisan Village. This is a perfect example of the kind of building that is needed in the small vacant parcels scattered throughout the area south of Roosevelt. Ground level has retail, which Brown has always been able to lease, with 10 apartments above. http://www.tomecakdesign.com/

where did you get all these renderings

also, even though the restaurants are leaving that corner is going to get a massive bump in population (and the restaurants will relocate to new spots on the row or downtown)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 6:48 PM
Skyriser

Alliance's project on 3rd and Roosevelt is dead last I checked.

Their Broadstone Arts District project was actually shepherded through the community who wanted that sort of plaza/outdoor space, of which there isn't much of in that area.

What purpose would the Arts District project serve if it were "urban?" That part of McDowell is not an urban street. The parcels are far too large for any sort of small-scale cohesive development, there's no street parking nor many street lights, the sidewalks are too narrow, it's not much of a destination even with the art museum next door because there's nothing that connects the two, and it doesn't have lots of people living near it.

And even with that plaza space, it's incredibly dense.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I really hope so...i really love that corner and Paz! It seems like they always have some type of outdoor event there on weekend nights.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
I really hope so...i really love that corner and Paz! It seems like they always have some type of outdoor event there on weekend nights.
I wish they could save Paz, etc. and wrap the remainder of the lot with this building, but I know it's probably not realistic.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 10:09 PM

I have had two out of town guests in the matter of months telling me that PAZ was one of their highlights of visiting Phoenix. Although I personally wasn't blown away (service wise) I really do hope they find another Roosevelt location. It's almost becoming a tourist attracting as well as a local favorite.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 7:51 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...or-infill.html

Native American Connections is building a new place

Quote:
15th Avenue and Camelback Road for $1.1 million.

The group plans to build a 55-unit affordable apartment complex on the property, which sits on the Metro light rail system.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:28 PM
Skyriser

NAC seems to be putting a lot of ultra-low density crap up.

55 units on 1.8 acres is something I'd see in Gilbert, not near a light rail line.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Their Broadstone Arts District project was actually shepherded through the community who wanted that sort of plaza/outdoor space, of which there isn't much of in that area.

What purpose would the Arts District project serve if it were "urban?" That part of McDowell is not an urban street. The parcels are far too large for any sort of small-scale cohesive development, there's no street parking nor many street lights, the sidewalks are too narrow, it's not much of a destination even with the art museum next door because there's nothing that connects the two, and it doesn't have lots of people living near it.

And even with that plaza space, it's incredibly dense.
According to this, it's not dead...
http://brewaz.com/hot-news/alliance-...-art-district/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I wish it were dead. This land will eventually be developed; however, Alliance is the last developer I would wish upon this location. Their Camelback and 25th street location is a anti-urban epic fail. Their McDowell location has show that it will be also.

Such a shame that such a prominent intersection could bare the typical suburban, stucco tan blah that Alliance is known for. To them going more than 2 stories is an urban endeavor in there mind.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
NAC seems to be putting a lot of ultra-low density crap up.

55 units on 1.8 acres is something I'd see in Gilbert, not near a light rail line.
I don't agree with you there, Combusean. Check out some of their other properties and see how nice they are (2nd Ave. project for example).

http://www.nativeconnections.org/hou...dable-housing/

Their other projects seem well-suited to the specific areas they build or rehab. Plus, the area needs some serious f*ing development. Nothing is being built. Acres and acres of open lots all along the light rail. There's nothing happening on West Camelback along the light rail that far west and I feel it's a welcome addition.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 11:51 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
I don't agree with you there, Combusean. Check out some of their other properties and see how nice they are (2nd Ave. project for example).

http://www.nativeconnections.org/hou...dable-housing/
I have seen that project. That was a one off.

NAC razed a medical office building in Midtown for a very low density rehab facility. And 55 units on 1.8 acres is just not dense. That's like, surface parking lot garbage.

Quote:
Their other projects seem well-suited to the specific areas they build or rehab. Plus, the area needs some serious f*ing development. Nothing is being built. Acres and acres of open lots all along the light rail. There's nothing happening on West Camelback along the light rail that far west and I feel it's a welcome addition.
Acres of parking lots (which is probably what we're going to get with this project) isn't any better than the acres of open lots and arguably worse. Development for the sake of development is no merit.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 11:55 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
That article doesn't have a date on it, and references the same project that's listed as dead in the first post's PDF.

They also don't have the lot assembled for it.

That means it's dead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest