HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:07 PM

Nice info Mikemak27!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:17 AM

Pretty sure a project like this has everything laid out just fine, i wonder what the complexities of going underground for the parking garage right by the subway there are.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Pretty sure a project like this has everything laid out just fine, i wonder what the complexities of going underground for the parking garage right by the subway there are.
They need to be careful with the installation of their earth retention system. idk how close the line is but if its close they would probably need to use cased secant piles but diaphragm wall would also work. At Echelon Seaport (in Boston) they had a train line split the site in 2 and they had to do soil mixing along the tunnel to stabilize the ground before they could install the diaphragm wall. If its top down I don't think they actually need to use bracing/tiebacks (tiebacks are out of question with adjacent tunnels anyways) because once they build a floor it holds the wall up

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvn View Post
They need to be careful with the installation of their earth retention system. idk how close the line is but if its close they would probably need to use cased secant piles but diaphragm wall would also work. At Echelon Seaport (in Boston) they had a train line split the site in 2 and they had to do soil mixing along the tunnel to stabilize the ground before they could install the diaphragm wall. If its top down I don't think they actually need to use bracing/tiebacks (tiebacks are out of question with adjacent tunnels anyways) because once they build a floor it holds the wall up
Well, that part of the tower and podium are set back from State street, so I wouldn't be surprised if the throw-in pocket park/plaza was made with this issue in mind. Gives them the space needed to avoid worrying about the subway and therefore spending extra money.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Well, that part of the tower and podium are set back from State street, so I wouldn't be surprised if the throw-in pocket park/plaza was made with this issue in mind. Gives them the space needed to avoid worrying about the subway and therefore spending extra money.
Very astute Sir!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:21 AM

Today

Around 1PM...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:13 AM

"We have tested, and yes, this parking lot is a disgrace"

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Around 1PM...
Thanks for the bonus shot of the Bush Temple addition topping out. That was fast. I'm really loving all the fine grained development in this part of River North

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:56 AM

Woof... that tower on the other side of Dearborn in that picture there is disgusting. Looks like it was designed by an agoraphobic architect... There are basically no windows!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:17 PM
The City

^ Even worse than the tower is its parking garage

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Even worse than the tower is its parking garage
Yeah, at street level that building is terrible. Good thing there will be OCS to balance it out in the immediate area.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danykane007 View Post
I feel like an old timer (which I'm not even close to being), but do many of you remember that it wasn't long ago that River North was mostly low slung buildings and otherwise a sea of parking lots?

I mean, that has transformed within 2 decades, and this particular project will be a major exclamation point of that process. The Holy Name lot is a hole in what is otherwise becoming a cohesive urban fabric north of the river. Who cares if it's 25 feet too short of some arbitrary measure? But whatever, I know that there are some OCD types out there who just won't bother to change their minds...
Yep, it's an unbelievable transformation.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:02 PM
The City

^ You don't have to even be much of an old timer.

As recently as the early 2000s River North was like that. It's changed so dramatically and quickly that it's no surprise that people who haven't been to Chicago in a while still envision it as just the Loop and the Mag Mile.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danykane007 View Post
I feel like an old timer (which I'm not even close to being), but do many of you remember that it wasn't long ago that River North was mostly low slung buildings and otherwise a sea of parking lots?
Yes. . . and unfortunately the majority of the buildings that have been erected in River North over the last few decades have less aesthetic quality than those surface level parking lots. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep, it's an unbelievable transformation.
I'm not yet 30 years old but I can remember River North (and lots of Streeterville) being a sea of parking lots.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:40 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I'm not yet 30 years old but I can remember River North (and lots of Streeterville) being a sea of parking lots.
In about 2001-2002, I lived at 1421 N Dearborn and worked in the Loop. Sometimes I'd take the 156/LaSalle bus, sometimes I'd just take a cab.

A memory taking the 156 is seeing a bunch of vintage cars parked in a lot that was the NW corner of LaSalle and Kinzie for the filming of Road to Perdition. Shortly after they were done, the apartment building there started construction.

And when talking a taxi home north on Dearborn, I have lots of memories of all the condo buildings that sprouted up between Kinzie and Huron. It was a super-exciting time to be in Chicago
[/SIZE]

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 11, 2019 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:47 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Woof... that tower on the other side of Dearborn in that picture there is disgusting. Looks like it was designed by an agoraphobic architect... There are basically no windows!
The picture makes it look worse than it is. It's not a great building, but it's not windowless. I hope someday they build over that buildings parking garage fronting Chicago Ave, too, it really sucks the life out of that block.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The picture makes it look worse than it is. It's not a great building, but it's not windowless. I hope someday they build over that buildings parking garage fronting Chicago Ave, too, it really sucks the life out of that block.
That is a rental tower. And, at least based on the signage, it appears the garage would be part of that property. So at some point, someone should be able to make a business case to construct another tower. Maybe any renters using the existing garage can make use of the OCS garage.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
In about 2001-2002, I lived at 1421 N Dearborn and worked in the Loop. Sometimes I'd take the 156/LaSalle bus, sometimes I'd just take a cab.

A memory taking the 156 is seeing a bunch of vintage cars parked in a lot that was the NW corner of LaSalle and Kinzie for the filming of Road to Perdition. Shortly after they were done, the apartment building there started construction.

And when talking a taxi home north on Dearborn, I have lots of memories of all the condo buildings that sprouted up between Kinzie and Huron. It was a super-exciting time to be in Chicago.
The transformation of River North between the early 2000s and today is amazing.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 9:18 PM
The City

Does anyone know if the Holy Name's parking lot is closed or set to close soon? Just wondering when actual "site prep/demo" may begin for this beast

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive