HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:19 AM

Awsome pics!!! Love the updates of the WTC1 progress.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 5:33 AM

Oh well! They won't ready until in year of 2013. How much the times when they are constructed new WTC towers? Is they already in progress to being built more tallest towers? I wasn't sure if they will have enough financial costly.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:27 PM
Editor

NYGuy, that is great news!!! I just hope they will put in plance the spire as soon as possible.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 2:25 PM

I agree that it's looking increasingly unlikely that the building will be topped out by the end of this year. The building is now exactly 640 feet tall, which means there is 728 feet left to go, which is the equivalent of 55 stories. There are 52 weeks in a year, so one year from now (January 16, 2012), there will still be 3 floors to go, which means they won't finish until early February. It's POSSIBLE that they could start completing floors at a rate faster than a floor a week, but considering that there are going to be snow storms the rest of this month and next (and also during Jan and Feb of next year), the average rate will probably be even slower.

Don't believe what some journalist in the UK says. (I mean, the guy is calling it Freedom Tower...shows how out of touch he is.) In fact don't listen to what any journalist says about the schedule for 1WTC... just look at the facts for yourself, or listen to people who are more in the know (like the few construction workers who sometimes post here).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post
It's POSSIBLE that they could start completing floors at a rate faster than a floor a week,
I hope they will.
There are at least two reasons for that : the tower is tapering, therefore, each floor should be completed faster than the floors below. And the second reason is that March-September is probably a much active period for construction because days are longer...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I agree that it's looking increasingly unlikely that the building will be topped out by the end of this year. The building is now exactly 640 feet tall, which means there is 728 feet left to go, which is the equivalent of 55 stories. There are 52 weeks in a year, so one year from now (January 16, 2012), there will still be 3 floors to go, which means they won't finish until early February.
Well, when you realize that there aren't in actuality the number of floors left to be built that you think...oh, who cares. We've got a whole year to watch it rise. Believe it will be topped out at the end of the year or don't.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:28 PM
Honored Member

They have plenty of time.

52 is half of 104 but, there are only 92 floors in the building.
So, all they have to do is build 40 floors in 49 weeks. (They are pretty much done up to the 54th floor.)

Copied and paisted from the first post.
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude
* 1-6 – tower base (including 60ft tall lobby and 5 mechanical floors)
* 20-63 – offices
* 64 – sky lobby
* 65-88 – offices
* 89-90 - Broadcast
* 91-93 - mechanical
* 100-101 – Restaurant
* 102 Observation Deck
* 103-104 – mechanical floors
* 105 - Roof
* 106 - Cooling tower catwalks
* 107-109 Communications Rings

Note: there are no floors 7-19 or 94-99.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:34 PM

the pictures are simply great. this is going to be THE building of NYC.
But....I can not understand about those missing floors...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:38 PM

Note: there are no floors 7-19 or 94-99.

I wonder Why???

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:44 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyFROMtheBURGH View Post
In a few of the previous pictures, I noticed tarps saying island on them. Anybody know what they mean or what they're for?
They belong to the spray-On Fireproofing contractor ISLAND INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIES .
http://www.islandcompanies.com/iii/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua_Chicago View Post
the pictures are simply great. this is going to be THE building of NYC.
But....I can not understand about those missing floors...
The floors are not missing, that's just how they numbered them. There is actually one level in the spire that's called the 110th floor, it's only about 36 square feet and I'm sure it's purely symbolic.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:59 PM

Also part of the reason why there are so many mechanical floors, and why is there such a large concrete pedestal is, because of fears of terrorism, and for safety reasons. I don't like it, but that is what the NYPD wanted.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 5:29 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
As far as I know, (which ain't that much) WTC1 is only rated for a 5.6 earthquake. And it takes a lot more than strong guy wires for a 400 foot mast to hold up when the building is moving. If the assembly is too rigid you'd be getting ridiculous load at certain points, like where the guys are attached. And if it's not rigid enough, you could find a resonance that the quake just happens to match and really have trouble.
I'd guess that the spire is designed to tear loose right before it rips to roof off.
I'm pretty sure there will be a failure in the tower structure before the spire structure fails. Even a 7.0 would not be as bad as hurricane force winds.

Something to think about:

75mph wind with a 3/4 inch ice load. (The dreaded frozen hurricane, AKA the Blizzard of '10)

Hey I managed to find the ANSI/EIA-TIA-222-G standard online. The national standard’s seventh revision for Steel Antenna Towers and Antenna Supporting Structures, became effective January 1, 2006.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16607894/E...gn-Steel-Tower

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Jan 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Well, when you realize that there aren't in actuality the number of floors left to be built that you think...oh, who cares. We've got a whole year to watch it rise. Believe it will be topped out at the end of the year or don't.
Why the hostility? Believe me, I want it to be finished as soon as possible also. I'm just being realistic. It makes ZERO difference what arbitrary number of floors is given to the building or what some journalist in another country claims. Even the Port Authority's claim that the building is halfway done is jumping the gun. When they made that claim, the building was only 613 feet tall, whereas the total height is 1,368 feet, so that was only 45% done in ACTUAL height. Floor 52 in a 104 building is just a number.

You have to consider the height of the columns, which come in 26.67 foot spans. Not the assigned number of the remaining floors.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:29 PM
Honored Member

I dragged the prints out cause I wanted to see the corner nodes again. I also noticed something interesting. Above the 88th floor the columns are still two floors high, but they are not 26' 8", they are 40'.

PS: the corner nodes are 38' 2" high not quite 3 floors.

Original photo by GreenwichBoy.

So now top of steel is about 4 feet above the 56th floor, 666' 8" plus 4 (203.2meters).

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Jan 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Also part of the reason why there are so many mechanical floors, and why is there such a large concrete pedestal is, because of fears of terrorism, and for safety reasons. I don't like it, but that is what the NYPD wanted.
Actually, there are more mechanical floors because this tower is purely self-contained.

In the original World Trade Center, there were backups for the entire facility scattered around the rooftop of 5WTC, so I heard. The 1993 bombing knocked out power to the entire site, regardless of the backups, and major surrounding buildings before it was restored hours later.

Also, since the Chiller Plant in the new World Trade is only half the size as the original one, it cannot fulfill duties needed to supply the entire site, so the towers have their own mechanicals. This was an environmental move.

It's a better plan, if you think about it. Now, at least if there is danger, such as power loss, only one portion of the site will be affected, if not at all.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 9:43 PM
Because I'm Clever!

There was a radio repeater on 5WTC, but that was about it. Looking at my WTC prints, the bulk of the facilities for the WTC were underground, under 1 & 3 WTC. 2WTC had PATH tracks underneath, so didn't house much more than what was needed for just that one tower.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
Honored Member

Yep.

That is also the reason why there is no open air Observation deck on the roof, no room for one. The roof is full of cooling towers and communications equipment.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 10:16 PM

Wow really that's the reason?. I didn't know that till now. Can't they built an open air observation deck on some other tower at the World Trade Center Site. Three, and Four W.T.C. seem like good candidates for one.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
Honored Member

Rather busy up top.

J E T S JETS JETS JETS

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 12:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Why the hostility? Believe me, I want it to be finished as soon as possible also. I'm just being realistic.
It was explained for you, and still you don't get it, so I'm done.

chuhao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
The floors are not missing, that's just how they numbered them. There is actually one level in the spire that's called the 110th floor, it's only about 36 square feet and I'm sure it's purely symbolic.
We'll take it...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive