HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 9:16 PM
Red brick mama.

The stately residential high-rises and mid-rises of St. Louis' Central West End

While Saint Louis is not particularly known for its high-rise buildings, those familiar with the city are certainly aware of its amazing collection of handsome historic high-rises. Outside of Chicago (and possibly Detroit), Saint Louis has the largest and finest collection of historic residential high-rises and mid-rises in the Midwest. Grand old apartment, co-op and condo buildings can be found in all corners of the city, but they are particularly common in the central corridor, spanning from downtown and midtown on the east to the inner-ring suburb of Clayton on the west. The highest concentration of handsome old residential high-rises are located in the Central West End (my neighborhood), a dense old neighborhood just east of Forest Park that boomed at the time of the 1904 World's Fair. In addition to grand old brick buildings from the teens and twenties, there are also a number of funky mid-century high-rises to spice things up. The CWE has always been characterized by its urbane, sophisticated flavor, and the built environment certainly reflects that.

By no means did I come close to photographing all of the large residential buildings in the Central West End (much less the rest of the central corridor), but this is just a sampling of buildings I find interesting in my immediate neighborhood.

For context, here are some photos that show the overall scale, location and density of the neighborhood...

The central corridor skyline looking east from downtown Clayton:

Photo courtesy of kcgridlock

The central corridor skyline looking west from downtown St. Louis:

Photo courtesy of kcgridlock

Zooming in on the CWE:

Photos courtesy of KCgridlock

Let's walk, shall we?

The Greystone, Newstead & Westminster:

Hampden Hall, Newstead & Pershing:

The Towne House, a taste of Miami Beach on Lindell & Newstead:

The Ellsworth, West Pine & Newstead - one of my favorite buildings in the neighborhood. The building manager told me that every single storefront in the building is still used for its original purpose - the West Pine Pharmacy (the sign still says "Apothecary"), The Ellsworth Diner (an original), Shapiro's Market (also an original), a dry cleaners, and a hair salon:

The Hawthorne, West Pine near Taylor:

The Executive House, West Pine:

One of my favorite towers on West Pine was demolished in 1998 and replaced by a rather bland townhouse development. R.I.P. the Round Building:

Photo courtesy of http://builtstlouis.net/

The Park East, one of the newest residential towers in the neighborhood:

The Parkway (not a large building, but I love it anyway), Laclede & Buckingham Court:

Now on to Kingshighway, the "Central Park West" of St. Louis, if I dare make the comparison. Dramatic high-rises line the street just east of Forest Park, and are among the finest addresses in the entire metro area. Here's an older pic I snapped that shows broader span of the street:

And the individual buildings...

The Montclaire on the Park, Kingshighway & Forest Park Parkway:

The ABC, Kingshighway & Laclede:

The Parc Frontenac, Kingshighway & Lindell:

Detouring back onto West Pine briefly...

The Del Coronado, a '70s monster that I happen to love:

The Park Lane, West Pine & Euclid:

The Forest Park Apartments (formerly the Forest Park Hotel), West Pine & Euclid:

The Chase Apartments and Chase Hotel, Lindell Blvd:

The stately St. Regis Co-op, Lindell Blvd:

Back on Kingshighway...

Front view of the Chase:

The luxurious Park Plaza (the art deco mama of the CWE):

The Park Plaza is so dramatic, it is worth posting these photos that I snapped on a sunny day:

Continuing east on Maryland, the Fairmont:

Jive and I aren't the only twins in St. Louis! These handsome buildings are at the corner of Maryland & Taylor:

The solid, albeit relatively plain Convent Gardens, Taylor & Pershing:

Back on Lindell again...

The Pierre Chouteau:

If the Jetsons lived in St. Louis, they'd definitely live in the Jackson Arms:

The uninterrupted stretch of high-rise apartment buildings on Lindell Blvd. was recently dealt a tragic blow with the demolition of the San Luis Apartments (formerly the DeVille Motor Hotel) last year. A parking lot for the Archdiocese of St. Louis now occupies the site where the retro beauty stood (the large white on the right):

R.I.P. San Luis:

On the bright side, the stretch of Lindell between Euclid & Taylor remains intact and is one of the greatest high-rise residential blocks in the city. The row of buildings on the north side of Lindell are particularly notable:

A closer look at the individual buildings...

The sleek 1960s-era Lindell Terrace:

And her stately un-named neighbor next door:

The Traimore Castle:

The Monticello:

The ultramodern 4545:

The Park Royal:

The President:

Hope you enjoyed!

And here's a teaser for my next thread... Jive & Gasm hit South City St. Louis!

...Stay tuned!

Last edited by STLgasm; Jul 31, 2018 at 3:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 9:25 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Nice! The Jackson Arms is one of my favorite buildings in town, by far.
Some of my favorite massive 1920s apartment buildings are not even in the CWE, like those beasts in DeBaliviere Place at the corner of Union and Pershing, and those on Skinker facing the park, and a few on South Grand. I always thought it would be cool if there were some/more midrises on S. Grand facing TG Park. I think there is one, the retirement home.

Lookin' forward to the South City thread, it's like these old homes grew from the soil and the bedrock.

Last edited by Centropolis; Feb 27, 2011 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
St. Louis. Bitch.

If our city got any cooler, we'd have to wear winter coats all year round!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 10:28 PM

St Louis is 'Gemmed' up!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 10:30 PM

Thanks! This is comfort food for me. I love each and every one of these buildings. Each one holds personal stories for me. Memories of visiting the apartments of friends & family in each of these buildings. And memories recalled from my parents. From the grand co-ops at the St. Regis to the cozy studios at the Ellsworth.

I lived in the Parkway. The apartments were modest but had wonderful detail with terrazo floors, crown molding, picture-frame molding, original 1920s cabinetry, original 1920s bathroom fixtures, wonderful old doors, including the air-flow outer door (whatever it is called), & charming lobby. Back in my day, there was a nosy live-in landlady. Nothing got past her. During the day, she would haunt the lobby in professional attire. At night, in her bathrobe & curlers.

These buildings are part of my sub-conscious, like old friends & relatives. To this day they come into my dreams. Vivid details of elevators, lobbies, fine details, & an ongoing parade of engaging people. This reminds me to be grateful that the CWE remains vibrant & these buildings are as perfectly maintained today as they were then. Whenever a building like the San Luis, the Round Building & even the crappy Doctor's Building is lost, it absolutely tears at my soul and sends me into a period of mourning.

Thanks again. This is priceless to me.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 12:27 AM

Nice looking area and great photos. Just out of curiosity, off the top of your head if you know, how much is a rehab 1 bedrrom condo in one of those old classic buildings?

Looking foward to South City St. Louis!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 1:25 AM
Red brick mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Nice looking area and great photos. Just out of curiosity, off the top of your head if you know, how much is a rehab 1 bedrrom condo in one of those old classic buildings?

Looking foward to South City St. Louis!
Hey Pip, you could probably buy an updated 1-bedroom condo in the CWE from $85,000-$150,000. Monthly assessments vary wildy depending on the building, but you can still get a deal!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 1:31 AM

Monthly assessments like $150-$400(?) and the taxes on a $150,000 condo annually? Sorry to hijack your picture thread with these questions. I was talking to somone recently who visited St. Louis - the CWE during the summer and said that it was one of the best urban neighborhoods around. So I am curious

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 2:06 AM
St. Louis. Bitch.

Pip-- depending on the building, your condo fees could range anywhere from $150-1,000/month. Taxes could also run the gamut. A lot of buildings that have been recently rehabbed could qualify for tax abatements for new buyers, making for dirt-cheap taxes for the first few years. I'm talking like as low as $120/yr, no joke. Of course that's only temporary. A good real estate agent will know all the perks. The beauty of the CWE is the wide variety of building styles. Any kind of city dwelling you can imagine-- highrises, single families, mansions, rowhouses, 4-flats, courtyard buildings, pre-war, contemporary, etc-- it's all there!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 2:18 AM

^thanks for the info I would like the rowhouses, 4-flats and courtyard buildings the most assuming they are split up into 1-2 bedroom condos. The taxes are crazy on how it varies so much, same thing here, I was just wondering a ball park figure of assuming no tax credits and such.

Anyway thanks for all the information. I have got to check that City out. You know while scanning through the census reports that downtown St. Louis alone almost has ten times the number of condos as it did in 2000. That's quite a jump.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 11:28 AM

The maintenance fee on Central West End condo/co-op buildings vary greatly, just like any city. It depends on what the fee covers and amenities. If the fee covers heat & the building is full-service with 24-doorman, etc. the fees will be in the higher range. A low-service building with basic amenities and pay-your-own heat will be in the lower range. Compared to other cities I have lived in, the fees in St. Louis seem to be quite fair & reasonable. Everything in St. Louis is less expensive (I guess that depends on where you are coming from).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 2:22 PM

Just for making my day with this fantastic photothread I'm going to stop by your shop and buy me another Stl-Style Shirt

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 2:30 PM
Red brick mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood View Post
Just for making my day with this fantastic photothread I'm going to stop by your shop and buy me another Stl-Style Shirt
Please do! We're open from 10-5 today!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Please do! We're open from 10-5 today!
Can't do till Friday as I have school and work that tie my day up, but I'll definitely be in.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 3:08 PM
aka GM on SSC

I love that eastern feel of Saint-Louis. It looks almost like an NYC neighborhood lost in the middle of the MidWest.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 3:19 PM

Great tour, it almost looks like an Ontario city with that kind of residential density, and it even has the mid-century modern highrises.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 10:27 PM
Eurosceptic

How far is this area from Downtown Clayton?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 10:29 PM
Red brick mama.

Evergrey, the CWE is about midway between downtown St. Louis and downtown Clayton. I'd say it's 4-5 miles east of Clayton.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 12:10 AM

A very classy, big-city vibe from this part of town.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 12:55 AM

I think explaining in numbered streets can help people get the central corridor of St. Louis into perspective - distance wise.

If the streets of St. Louis were numbered all the way out, it would go something like this (this is very general & could be fine tuned):

Downtown:
1st Street (Mississippi River) through somewhere in the 20s. 25th Street or lower? Jefferson Avenue is around 25th Street.

Midtown:
Mostly in the 30s. Grand Boulevard is around 35th Street.

Central West End (where the buildings shown are located):
Mostly the 40s. I would say starting with 39th Street and going up to Kingshighway, which would be 50th Street. With Forest Park starting at 50th Street.

Forest Park:
Neighborhoods bordering Forest Park on the north and south would be 50th Street up until around 60th Street. Skinker Boulevard is around 60th Street, maybe 62nd Street.

St. Louis City just before Clayton:
In the 60s and up near 70th Street.

Clayton:
Centered on the 70s. Probably ending around 80th Street plus a little more. Hanley Road is around 75th Street. Brentwood Boulevard while in downtown Clayton is around 80th Street.

Last edited by Expat; Mar 1, 2011 at 1:43 AM. Reason: typos

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos