HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Not only this area, but all transit rich areas. If a building as dense as this one can be successful and disprove all the typical NIMBY BS I would hope that more developers could be inclined to go after similar projects (atop transit, dense, mixed use, minimal parking) throughout the city. Both Western and California seem poised to allow similar developments take place as well.
I would hope so. I see Logan Square and Avondale (basically Belmont through Western) exploding with infill in the next boom the way Wicker Park, Bucktown, Roscoe Village, and like areas did in the boom. There is enough development pressure in these areas that some infill is still being built. I can think of half a dozen new projects under construction in these areas even now. There's one near Belmont and Central Park, one near Milwaukee and Diversey, one near Western and Belmont (granted that's Roscoe, but it's a dual six flat development), and a handful of single family homes scattered about. It would be really nice to see the rows of new infill along Diversey and Belmont extend all the way from the Lake to the Blue line in 10 years.

I think that will really intensify the critical mass of the central neighborhoods by forcing those development forces to seek areas outside of the North side like Humboldt Park or Bronzeville or even East Garfield Park or, gasp, maybe even Lawndale in 20 years or so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I don't remember seeing this mentioned, even though there have been renderings in the window since last spring.

This would be a renovation of the old Chicago Federation of Musicians Building (later Rose Records) at 175 W. Washington. Design by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture. Subject of a Lunch Talk® at CAF next Wednesday, March 21, at 12:15 pm.

PDF brochure
This render popped up a while ago but I haven't seen anything on it for like a year. This could turn out really cool.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I think that will really intensify the critical mass of the central neighborhoods by forcing those development forces to seek areas outside of the North side like Humboldt Park or Bronzeville or even East Garfield Park or, gasp, maybe even Lawndale in 20 years or so...
Interesting. Bronzeville is ripe for tons of infill and renovation, East Garfield Park too.

Unfortunately I think any gentrification toward the south will refocus on Pilsen because it's not currently blighted, so it presents a far more attractive place for wealthier people to move in. It already has a critical mass of services and businesses.

If the city helps subsidize retail development in Bronzeville or Garfield Park, maybe that might help nudge things in that direction. Draper & Kramer wants to redevelop Lake Meadows Plaza... they should get some assistance.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I don't remember seeing this mentioned, even though there have been renderings in the window since last spring.

This would be a renovation of the old Chicago Federation of Musicians Building (later Rose Records) at 175 W. Washington. Design by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture. Subject of a Lunch Talk® at CAF next Wednesday, March 21, at 12:15 pm.

PDF brochure
It's supposed to be a medical technology museum. There was a Crain's article about this entrepreneur named Mike Doyle who is behind it, maybe a year or so back.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting. Bronzeville is ripe for tons of infill and renovation, East Garfield Park too.

Unfortunately I think any gentrification toward the south will refocus on Pilsen because it's not currently blighted, so it presents a far more attractive place for wealthier people to move in. It already has a critical mass of services and businesses.

If the city helps subsidize retail development in Bronzeville or Garfield Park, maybe that might help nudge things in that direction. Draper & Kramer wants to redevelop Lake Meadows Plaza... they should get some assistance.
Bronzeville is tough. The 35th street corridor should be ripe, but the police precinct and DeLasalle parking lots at State & 35th absolutely destroy the corners that would feed people into the neighborhood. If something could be done to build on those lots to connect the Overton building (which sits almost criminally empty) to State Street Village I think that would liven things up a lot. As it is, Starbucks, Jimmy John's and Miller Pizza are crammed basically at all times. More residential is going in there now at 37th as well. I know Alderman Dowell is also pushing to get a grocery store or a Walmart or just something to be an anchor, at 39th & state.

43rd and 47th should also be really good opportunities but a lot of the property owners down there don't seem to entirely understand the concept of improving their own properties to attract tenants, or just don't care to.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 11:19 PM
Plenary pleasures.

So...in other news, how does everyone like my new avatar??!

To make this post relevant, for me personally, I think the weakest of the five Navy Pier finalists won. It does have some nice aspects to it, but the AECOM/BIG proposal was 100 times better. The James Corner design seems to play it safe, on a number of things: the formal landscaped park fronting the main entrance of the pier, the changes to the central portion, near the Ferris wheel, all of it is rather uninspiring.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
TL;DR

I did like certain aspects of the BIG proposal, especially the changes to the Crystal Garden and the amusement area (LED installation on the ferris wheel = genius). Unfortunately the people at the Shakespeare Theater did NOT like the idea of a huge stair folding up and over their building, and they probably killed any chances for the BIG proposal.

In the end, I'm guessing it was the High Line that sealed the deal for James Corner. It's in NY and it's a huge tourist draw - most of the McPier board probably has personal experience with the High Line and wanted something with a similar kind of magnetism for a certain type of cultural tourist. By contrast, BIG has no built projects in the US currently, so from the board's perspective he's an unknown quantity.

To be honest, though, it seems like a lot of the proposals included the same ideas. Both James Corner and Martha Schwartz proposed repetitive elements to create a linear progression from Lake Shore Drive to the Ballroom along the South Dock. Almost all the proposals included some kind of Copenhagen-esque outdoor baths. None of the proposals did anything too dramatic with the park/circular drive/dropoff area between the Pier and Lake Point Tower. The most dramatic idea was Martha Schwartz's aerial tram, but the tram was probably the downfall of that proposal (everything else was great).

I do think we should be having more competitions for big public projects in Chicago, though. The more world-class proposals the city's movers-and-shakers see, the more they will demand world-class design in every project, with or without a competition.

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I did like certain aspects of the BIG proposal, especially the changes to the Crystal Garden and the amusement area (LED installation on the ferris wheel = genius). Unfortunately the people at the Shakespeare Theater did NOT like the idea of a huge stair folding up and over their building, and they probably killed any chances for the BIG proposal.

In the end, I'm guessing it was the High Line that sealed the deal for James Corner. It's in NY and it's a huge tourist draw - most of the McPier board probably has personal experience with the High Line and wanted something with a similar kind of magnetism for a certain type of cultural tourist. By contrast, BIG has no built projects in the US currently, so from the board's perspective he's an unknown quantity.

To be honest, though, it seems like a lot of the proposals included the same ideas. Both James Corner and Martha Schwartz proposed repetitive elements to create a linear progression from Lake Shore Drive to the Ballroom along the South Dock. Almost all the proposals included some kind of Copenhagen-esque outdoor baths. None of the proposals did anything too dramatic with the park/circular drive/dropoff area between the Pier and Lake Point Tower. The most dramatic idea was Martha Schwartz's aerial tram, but the tram was probably the downfall of that proposal (everything else was great).

I do think we should be having more competitions for big public projects in Chicago, though. The more world-class proposals the city's movers-and-shakers see, the more they will demand world-class design in every project, with or without a competition.
I'd like to reiterate on my early points that navy pier is for the most part a playground and needs to maintain that spirit. The highline is durable and flexible activity space. If James Corner can apply that architectural spirit here, we'll something very successful.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:01 AM

New Navy Pier Plans

Hey Guys, head over to the Navy Pier redevelopment thread. I think it deserves a thread of its own...

See a writeup here and here by BK. Alot of New York Firms in the mix, but whatever...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 4:10 AM

Quote:
There is enough development pressure in these areas that some infill is still being built...It would be really nice to see the rows of new infill along Diversey and Belmont extend all the way from the Lake to the Blue line in 10 years.

I think that will really intensify the critical mass of the central neighborhoods by forcing those development forces to seek areas outside of the North side...
While the single lot mid block infill is crucial for these areas (or any area), I am really hoping for larger multi unit, mixed use buildings focused around transportation nodes to create ultra dense hubs of activity. While we wont see buildings like 1601 W Ashland popping up everywhere, buildings even half the size that treat their siting in a similar manner would be fantastic.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
So...in other news, how does everyone like my new avatar??!
Could you splain it?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Pilsen is already in full on redevelopment mode and doesn't have all that much room for infill. We'll see redevelopment gradually move west down 18th Street from East Pilsen to West Pilsen, but along Halsted and that portion of the neighborhood there isn't much to develop. It's neighborhoods like Pilsen that are going to put pressure on places like Garfield or Bronzeville to develop. Little nodes of development take hold and build up pressure behind natural barriers like the freeway until the development jumps the barrier like the Chicago Fire jumped the river and takes hold on the other side. So in my opinion Pilsen is already "there" and will act as a seed to push into other areas of the South Side. Bridgeport is another such "seeding" area.

I'd look for similar development patterns on the South Side as there have been on the NW side. There was nothing for decades and then Wicker Park flipped and started redevolping. After that happened it was game over because development was now on the West side of the freeway and could rapidly move in any direction it pleased without barriers; W, NW, N, SW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
While the single lot mid block infill is crucial for these areas (or any area), I am really hoping for larger multi unit, mixed use buildings focused around transportation nodes to create ultra dense hubs of activity. While we wont see buildings like 1601 W Ashland popping up everywhere, buildings even half the size that treat their siting in a similar manner would be fantastic.
I don't think you'll see much more than double lot developments outside of a few major nodes like Noble Square (obviously), Logan Square or Milwaukee and Diversey. There aren't many swaths of open land big enough to support such buildings outside of those areas. Even the lots by California and Western are measly.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I would hope so. I see Logan Square and Avondale (basically Belmont through Western) exploding with infill in the next boom the way Wicker Park, Bucktown, Roscoe Village, and like areas did in the boom. There is enough development pressure in these areas that some infill is still being built. I can think of half a dozen new projects under construction in these areas even now. There's one near Belmont and Central Park, one near Milwaukee and Diversey, one near Western and Belmont (granted that's Roscoe, but it's a dual six flat development), and a handful of single family homes scattered about. It would be really nice to see the rows of new infill along Diversey and Belmont extend all the way from the Lake to the Blue line in 10 years.

This render popped up a while ago but I haven't seen anything on it for like a year. This could turn out really cool.
What is the one at Belmont and Western it does not readily come to mind?

Is the belmont and central park building the old gas station on the northwest corner if I recall?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
What is the one at Belmont and Western it does not readily come to mind?

Is the belmont and central park building the old gas station on the northwest corner if I recall?
Belmont and Western is two six flats going up I think in this lot, either that or they tore down one of the industrial building in this picture, I just saw it while driving a friend home and was in the process of merging lanes and didn't want to die so I didn't get a good look, but they were already 1 floor high and I was shocked to see them because there weren't there two weeks before:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chicag...,188.38,,0,3.6

Unfortunately the Central Park on is not that horrid gas station. I think that site has major environmental contamination from tanks. They razed one of the crappy frame houses on the South Side of Belmont just west of Central Park and built a 4 story brick 4 flat there.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 9:19 PM
THAT Guy

Renderings of what the Wrigley Building's plaza might look like

They're trying to get retail on the first two floors and basement

Meanwhile, Trump claims things are happening with the empty retail space in his building.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:03 PM

That looks so much better. Way more inviting from Michigan avenue.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
They're trying to get retail on the first two floors and basement

Meanwhile, Trump claims things are happening with the empty retail space in his building.
Hmmm...NO. Where's the other design? I want the other design. It created a more successful space. It had a huge self supported glass canopy that helped to shelter that area against wind.

I cut through there frequently. I don't believe new pavers, removal of the breezeway, and that modern facade replacement are together a silver bullet solution. I'm not convinced this will assist in attracting new tenants.

Step 1. Restore the building exterior as was
Step 2. Construction the glass canopy I saw originally proposed
Step 3. Install impressive architectural lighting and plants in that space to make it an attractive sheltered plaza.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 7:56 AM
TL;DR

Not sure if this was ever posted here... early renderings of the Marianos at Clark/16th. Reminds me very much of the Roosevelt/Wabash Jewel.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 8:59 AM

I really hope they do the wrigley building as proposed. It's a very welcoming area off of Michigan ave, and if the Trump holds true to their retail, it will create an impressive gangway. Excellent design!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:08 PM

Here's original proposed design for the plaza.

http://www.mkbdesign.net/commercial/wrigley-building/

It also includes the plaza out front, which we have yet to determine from the set of new images.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:55 PM
Urbane observer

Actually, with the rooftop parking, the Mariano's reminds me of the Dominick's at Foster & Sheridan. These showed up on Sloopin a month ago, but I keep hoping to see renderings large enough to make out some details.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development