HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which rapid transit line would you like to see most?
Hastings 32 15.76%
Vancouver - Other 70 34.48%
North Shore 39 19.21%
Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge 2 0.99%
Tsawwassen/Ferries 10 4.93%
Surrey - Guilford 16 7.88%
Surrey - Newton 11 5.42%
South Surrey/White Rock/Border 5 2.46%
Langley 10 4.93%
Abbotsford 5 2.46%
Other 3 1.48%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:29 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I love how "next priorities in the GVRD" always becomes a bunch of people posting about the next 20 projects everyone outside of Vancouver should pay for exclusively inside Vancouver itself.

Streetcars and a line to Stanley Park is really a regional priority? Really? Those are on the regional list around #73 in line imo.
I know what you're saying, and in the instance of streetcars I agree. It depends on the situation, but with something like the Broadway line it's different. Look at the Evergreen Line–It will be used almost exclusively by people living in the tri-cities. While a Broadway Line would be used from people all over Greater Vancouver as they come into the city for work.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 12:40 AM

Upon completion of the Surrey/Langley Expo Line extension and the Broadway Subway Millennium Line extension in 2025/2026, where do you guys think the next priority will be?

By 2025/2026, a few more corridors will most definitely be needing SkyTrain. I'd assume either the North Shore or South Vancouver are the next candidates in line for expansion.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:28 AM

You might want to check out Transit Fantasies.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post
Upon completion of the Surrey/Langley Expo Line extension and the Broadway Subway Millennium Line extension in 2025/2026, where do you guys think the next priority will be?

By 2025/2026, a few more corridors will most definitely be needing SkyTrain. I'd assume either the North Shore or South Vancouver are the next candidates in line for expansion.
I have a good feeling the next big project will be a line to the North Shore. I would expect an extension of the Expo Line or new line under Burrard Inlet to Central Lonsdale at the very least.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:16 AM

Assuming the $1.6B allocated for Langley Skytrain is somehow extended to $2B?

Everyone seems to be ignoring that GVRD themselves outlined the L-Line as a critical corridor for rapid transit: The Metro Vancouver planning is generally more open-ended though, but it's still a critical corridor.

Artubus to UBC is the next logical expansion, considering its (relatively, for this region) high levels of interregional support and benefits, not only to mention that fact that UBC showed significant interest, and would logically help finance it.

None of the other corridors is really on the mayors' or public's minds right now. Note that the Millennium Line extensions were contemplated 2 (or 3, because of the Canada Line) decades ahead in time, what we don't have on the backburner now, isn't hugely likely to proceed.

However, there may be a slot for a ~$1B value 3rd project in the late 2030s, if somewhat optimistically.

Here are my findings for my transit planning map. I'm pretty sure I covered every B-line route currently proposed, plus almost every reasonably proposed Skytrain Route, minus the eastern section of the 95 B-line to SFU (planning on using the WCE and a 2nd gondola to supplement that), and Skytrain to Steveston.

Credit to waves for the calculator, btw.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AphyHYpEjmp-gpprO8HzjAoyTJgm7Q

Play around with it if you'd like. Note that it excludes the traditional 25% margin on Skytrain projects.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:56 PM
loafing in lotusland

The SFU Gondola will be next. It's a no-brainer project that will cover its operating costs... and just needs Burnaby Council's Blessing.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
The SFU Gondola will be next. It's a no-brainer project that will cover its operating costs... and just needs Burnaby Council's Blessing.
I'm not sure you can call that Rapid Transit though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 8:52 AM
waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Credit to waves for the calculator, btw.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AphyHYpEjmp-gpprO8HzjAoyTJgm7Q
I see you went and calculated a whole bunch of different routes - cool!
Infographic soon on your work?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
I see you went and calculated a whole bunch of different routes - cool!
Infographic soon on your work?
When I have time, hopefully. Don't expect it for a while, though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
I think this idea has already been vetoed by the NIMBY's living below the proposed route. They don't want a gondola towering over their back yards.

The line would have to follow a route that doesn't pass over residential neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
I think this idea has already been vetoed by the NIMBY's living below the proposed route. They don't want a gondola towering over their back yards.

The line would have to follow a route that doesn't pass over residential neighborhoods.
Avoiding the neighborhoods my adding a 2nd tower east only adds 35% more length to the line.

And it was cost that killed the idea, not residents. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...link-1.1182311

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post

Look the NIMBYs can complain as much as they want, but they hardly have anything close to a veto. The bigger thing that has been stopping it is Translink's funding situation.

It's going to happen; it's a question of when.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 9:04 PM

Apparently 1/10th the cost of regular LRT. No tracks, no wires!

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvan View Post

Fill in all the gaps

UBC
Coquitlam to Port Coquitlam with rapid bus to Haney (perhaps even over the Pitt River to abus terminal on the other side
Guildford to Newton

Get it all done and then, gird your loins, for the Biggie

A RR line from south of the fraser (huge bus terminal and car park) through Knight street, through DT to the north shore with a huge bus terminal and , perhaps, car park there.

That will be a monster and take all of our pennies to accomplish.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 8:38 PM

Reminder that we've got a fantasy thread. SkyTrain for the North Shore is inevitable, but as one of the following:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Reminder that we've got a fantasy thread. SkyTrain for the North Shore is inevitable, but as one of the following:

This is the big one after the Millennium extension to UBC/Expo extension to Langley.

Personally I would like to see the yellow line done as an extension of the Expo line. You get to hit major transit hubs of North Van (being Phibbs and Lonsdale) while also servicing major neighbourhoods of East Van, and saving money from tunneling under the Burard inlet. Plus it has potential to extend westwards to Park Royal.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:18 AM

So long as there's room to convert to an Expo-Hastings Line and Willingdon-North Shore Line, intersecting at Boundary; I suspect that one big unwieldy Expo all over the GVRD is bad design (to say nothing of leaving the east suburbs/SFU high and dry).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:56 AM

I'd be really surprised that North Van gets a line before South Van gets a East-West line. The 41 and 49 bus lines are packed and the areas around there are ripe for densification and it would connect the Canada Line (Oakridge or 49th) with the Expo Line (Joyce or Metrotown).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:55 AM

One word: politics. We're already getting two extensions (Arbutus, UBC) that "only" service the CoV, so another would be viewed as triple-dipping. A North Shore line would serve Vancouver, North Van, the DNV and kinda-sorta Burnaby.

Worth noting that the R4 has 5-6 minute peak headways and the 41 has 15. Should be possible to meet the next 15-20 years of demand by doubling the bus frequency; works for Broadway, right?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
We're already getting two extensions (Arbutus, UBC) that "only" service the CoV, so another would be viewed as triple-dipping.

Exactly this. They've already decided on extending the Expo Line to Langley Centre and the Millennium Line to UBC. They're talking about a gondola up Burnaby Mountain and something TBD to the North Shore. They've also got a potential spur off the Millennium Line out to PoCo.

It's going to take awhile (and a lot of money) to get all that built - I really doubt they need to start playing CoV fantasy rail quite yet. We've likely got years where the rapid transit plans will be where to put the next batch of RapidBus routes - and quite honestly I hope they take a hard look at the rest of the region, which doesn't have the transit ridership that CoV has because they don't have the transit network that CoV has.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure