HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 10:43 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Thumbs up Vancouver makes the "The 10 Global Cities With The Best Infrastructure"

I'm very happy to see Vancouver make the list ... I think this shows what the Liberals have done for the province over the past decade.

Human resources consulting firm Mercer just released a ranking of the global cities with the best infrastructures, based on electricity supply, water availability, telephone and mail services, public transportation, traffic congestion, and the range of international flights from local airports.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/10-ci...#ixzz2Fp6xIKvV

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 11:16 PM

Vancouver is a "global city????"

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
ARTchitecture

Uhm, of course it is. Vancouver is a Beta+ Global City... higher than Seattle and on par with cities like Montreal, Copenhagen, Athens, and Rome.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 1:11 AM

Yes, this can be verified on Wikipedia.
This ranking (Beta +) is the reworking of the categorization by Loughborough University, and comes through Wikipedia, which is pretty reliable.
I'm flabbrgasted to see Vancouver ahead of Seattle and Osaka.

another source:
http://www.diserio.com/gawcworldcities2010.jpg

Last edited by trofirhen; Dec 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 4:11 AM

anything with a name known to business people r global cities, as it participates in the global economy.....hahaha

and van has been listed as the top 20-30 spot on 5 out 6 rankings according to wiki,
3 out of 4 rankings on global financial center had van in the top 20th spot

it is no surprise that it is listed again on this survey, because once u get listed on 2 or 3 rankings, other studies consider you a city worthy to be studied and listed

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
We're Canada's (and North America's, to a lesser degree) gateway to Asia - of course we're a global city.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 5:32 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I do have to say for the most part a lot of our infrastructure is fantastic, its just some areas fall flat on their face.

I think for the most part our seaports work very well, same goes for our airports and railway lines. The skytrain works like clockwork, and our busses are busy but for the most part frequent.

Our drinking water is plentiful and very clean (and getting better). Our hydroelectricity is cheap, plentiful and getting upgraded in the reliability department.

I just think what we do with this stuff often falls flat on it's face, and for the most part we don't think big enough. Our roads, and rapid transit system are the one of the biggest things that needs a revamp around here.

For the most part, we've under built for the level of development and success this city has seen in the last couple decades.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 6:02 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
For the most part, we've under built for the level of development and success this city has seen in the last couple decades.
This is true, but I think that this has to do more so with where we have gone over the past decade versus where other cities have gone. While we have been reinvesting, other cities have either been bickering, have run out of space (too expensive to do much), or are quite simply poorly run. We've had our fair share of the first and the third, but relative to other cities we're doing quite well.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I'm very happy to see Vancouver make the list ... I think this shows what the Liberals have done for the province over the past decade.

Human resources consulting firm Mercer just released a ranking of the global cities with the best infrastructures, based on electricity supply, water availability, telephone and mail services, public transportation, traffic congestion, and the range of international flights from local airports.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/10-ci...#ixzz2Fp6xIKvV
That's cool and all, but for the traffic congestion part, they must not have tried crossing the city in a car.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post

I just think what we do with this stuff often falls flat on it's face, and for the most part we don't think big enough. Our roads, and rapid transit system are the one of the biggest things that needs a revamp around here.

Right on the nail !! Amen and Amen !!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCE View Post
That's cool and all, but for the traffic congestion part, they must not have tried crossing the city in a car.
You must not have tried crossing some of the world class Asian cities during peak hours......

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 7:57 PM

Vancouver in the same rank as Berlin, Rome, Hamburg and Montreal? Lol what a joke. Vancouver is a backwater provincial town compared to those cities.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Vancouver in the same rank as Berlin, Rome, Hamburg and Montreal? Lol what a joke. Vancouver is a backwater provincial town compared to those cities.
High cost of living, hosting a major cultural event (Winter Olympics), major city in a country gaining international influence and in a geographically advantaged part of that country, excellent infrastructure - I'm not sure why you're surprised, it seems we tick a lot of the standards of this index. If anything, I'm surprised Montreal isn't below us.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonfiction View Post
High cost of living, hosting a major cultural event (Winter Olympics), major city in a country gaining international influence and in a geographically advantaged part of that country, excellent infrastructure - I'm not sure why you're surprised, it seems we tick a lot of the standards of this index. If anything, I'm surprised Montreal isn't below us.
While I agree with you on most points, (and let's not forget the UN Habitat Summit of (?) 86, nor the Clinton-Yelstin summit in the early 90s, both of which pushed us into the "big league," at least media wise), there are elements I might disagree on, or at least question.
You thought we might even have been ahead of Montreal.

First, although less an international player for many years now after Toronto, it still has substantial production infrastructure for stuff like aerospace, pharmaceuticals, and more. It slumped a long time, but has largely regained its dynamism. There is an extensive metro system in the city which has been enlarged in stages since it was opened in 1966.Maybe other infrastucture needs work. (I'll have to look that one up)

Also, an indicator of the "global index" as you'll notice if you do a lot of research, is the number of air destinations, and where they go. Example; small, but powerfully oil-rich Oslo has direct flights to the USA, all over Europe, and of course the Gulf States, with Qatar Air and EK etc etc etc.
Vancouver has a very respectable roster of destinations throughout East Asia (... come back, SQL, come back ....) and Auckland and Sydney, both of which are unserved from Seattle (ranked as a Beta normal city, as opposed to Bata+ like us. However they do have Paris wheras we don't (pretty major market, many will disagree) and we don't have EK to Dubai.
And apparently YVR was the FIRST choice for EK, I read somewhere. (Thank you Ottawa) We could push for IST, the most optimal for YVR. Ok enough airport stuff.

The housing prices are very expensive, yes,! but are sometimess ill-affordable in a city without a lot of big-league incomes. Some, yes, most, no. I think this reflects a natural geographic advantage, in a city where land is scarce, and enables investors to drive prices artificially high. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, I think this reflects an insufficiently diversified economy.
We all know Vancouver grew from a logging town, and gradually diversified into many sectors, yes. But somehow it still doesn't seem enough.
I find it ironic ironic that with as much medical research infrastructure as is here, such as that out at UBC, and including pharmacolgy, that we don't have a more important pharmeutical sector. That's something that would make Vancouver more global economically.

The transit ... nifty things are coming down the pipe, and yes we're way ahead in the number of transit PAX for cities in the USA three times the size, like Dallas. If we had more culture, (like stealing the Seatlle music scene, even their Opera), that woud be a big plus, but not necessarily a category changer.

There was once, oh so long ago, talk of making Vancouver into an International Banking Centre, if anyone kows about that. Anyone?
That might have pushed us into Alpha- but that seems a long way off, unless something here germinates and extrapolates.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 11:05 PM
Vancouver Moderator

It's to put things in perspective, because we get articles and posts from Vancouver 'boosters' and then the same from people that try to portrary the city as a quaint little resort town that has no value whatsoever. The truth is in the middle.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
You must not have tried crossing some of the world class Asian cities during peak hours......
To be fair outside of Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and to a lesser extent South Korea and Taiwan your looking at either 3rd world or borderline 3rd world countries that are rapidly developing or trying to develop. So its not a completely fair comparison and certainly we should not be comparing ourselves nor patting our selves on the back when we come ahead of cities in say China as a example.

But I agree that overall our infrastructure is good, we are a first world country, we don't have blackouts or water contamination, we have many functioning facilities and services for business and residents, bridges dont spontaneously fall, and stuff overall just works, etc. We do take it for granted sometimes how well stuff just works here, when is the last time any of us had a random black out, or power surge for example? These things are common in many places around the world, they are parts of daily life.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
To be fair outside of Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and to a lesser extent South Korea and Taiwan your looking at either 3rd world or borderline 3rd world countries that are rapidly developing or trying to develop. So its not a completely fair comparison and certainly we should not be comparing ourselves nor patting our selves on the back when we come ahead of cities in say China as a example.
These are exactly the countries I'm talking about. Although these countries seems to have better road and public transit infrastructures, but they are awfully inadequate during peak hours. The traffic jam are much worse and train and buses are way overcrowded. When I was there, I'd avoid peak hour travel at all cost, while I'm pretty much indifferent in Vancouver...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 6:13 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Yes, this can be verified on Wikipedia.
This ranking (Beta +) is the reworking of the categorization by Loughborough University, and comes through Wikipedia, which is pretty reliable.
I'm flabbrgasted to see Vancouver ahead of Seattle and Osaka.

another source:
http://www.diserio.com/gawcworldcities2010.jpg

I can see why Vancouver is ahead of Seattle... they have held the Olympics, have sufficient(and then some) transit infrastructure, extremely diverse population, etc.

Dunno why it is ahead of Osaka though. But I'm sure the ranking system has its reasons.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 6:28 AM

I don't know why some people like so much to bash their hometown, but truth is that Vancouver is doing very well among global cities and for multiple reasons, like others have already described. Vancouver is by no means a small and internationally unrecognized town anymore - it hasn't been such since the late 80s!

I think Beta+ is pretty well-matching group for Vancouver to be in and it wouldn't take too much to climb the chart even more. I think for that Vancouver should be able to attract some major corporations into town to bring some business power, which is one area this city is lacking in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure