HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

City Parkway in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:18 AM

[Richmond] ONNI Steveston Towers l 10 & 12 stories l Proposed

I can see this one touching off a huge NIMBY battle:

The developers of Imperial Landing in Steveston are trying once again to get a rezoning to fill in the last bit of undeveloped land it owns on the waterfront.

Onni has applied to rezone 3.5 acres of undeveloped waterfront property it owns in front of Imperial Landing condominiums.

The property currently has a unique zoning: Steveston Maritime Mixed Use. The original intent was to have the strip of land in front of the condos at Imperial Landing reserved for marine-related businesses, like chandlers, bait and tackles shops, seafood stores, etc.

For more than a decade the land has sat untouched, and the city rejected previous attempts at rezoning, including one a few years ago that would have permitted a grocery store.

Onni's new proposal would see the Maritime Mixed Use zoning scrapped altogether and replaced with a residential zoning to permit two mid-rise towers to be built -- one 10 and one 12-storeys. The two buildings would have 180 to 200 units...

..The proposal will be the subject of an open house on Sept. 9 at the Steveston Community Centre.

Read more: http://www.richmond-news.com/busines...#ixzz0y9MCfJ72

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:26 AM

thats pretty tall since the condos that will end up behind them are only 4 stories?

but i can't imagine it being home to maritime use either

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thats pretty tall since the condos that will end up behind them are only 4 stories?

but i can't imagine it being home to maritime use either
The units on higher floors facing Georgia Strait will have killer views.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 3:30 AM

they will for sure

i love steveston

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 3:45 AM

there is a ten storey tower just south of garry st. east of no. 1 road. that has been there for years. there is a six storey concrete tower just east of this proposed site.

This will go ahead with at least six storeys in return for the large amount of open space dedicated in return.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 5:06 AM

That old 10 storey building near Garry St is actually 8 stories.

Yes, this new proposal will be controversial, but it's the best proposal yet, by far. It will leave about 80% of the waterfront parcel undeveloped and turned into city-owned park. Two towers at the far end are a fair price for that.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 4:36 PM

Article in the Province's "Valley" section. Is Richmond considered part of the Valley? I never thought so.

The marvellous character and ambience of Steveston, a fishing village which for years has attracted locals and tourists alike to its trendy boutiques, fish 'n' chip shops and ubiquitous fishing boats, may soon change.

But some in the quaint Richmond community say the change -- if it happens -- will be for the worse, not for the better. Others, however, are trying to keep an open mind and want more information before deciding where they stand...

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/business/...#ixzz0ylgVSlwE

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
That old 10 storey building near Garry St is actually 8 stories.

Yes, this new proposal will be controversial, but it's the best proposal yet, by far. It will leave about 80% of the waterfront parcel undeveloped and turned into city-owned park. Two towers at the far end are a fair price for that.
Zassk, any chance you'll be going to the open house September 9 and will be able to give us a report on what their plans are?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 5:25 PM

ONNI now has some webpages up on this project. Looks like Hotson Bakker are the architects:
http://onni.com/waterfrontrezoning/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:15 PM

I didn't make it to this, but it sounds like it was, uh, lively....

Quote:
Naysayers pack Onni open house on Steveston high-rises

A group of longtime Steveston residents posted 400 flyers around the community encouraging people to attend an open house about Onni Group’s proposed waterfront development.

Their efforts didn’t go to waste.

Shortly after the doors opened Thursday at 3 p.m. a lineup trailed out of the gymnasium at Steveston Community Centre as people waited to sign in and pick up a comment card.

All were hoping to learn more and express opinions about Onni’s application to rezone its narrow strip of land on Bayview Street. The developer hopes to erect two residential high-rises—10 and 12 storeys—on the last of its Imperial Landing parcels.

One of the flyer-posters, Jacqui Turner, worried that approving the rezoning application would set a precedent.

“It’s going to open up a floodway of high-rises down here,” she said. “They’re not neighbourhood friendly.”

Most of the crowd echoed Turner’s opposition to the towers which, if approved, would be the tallest buildings in Steveston.

Angela Burnet strolls the boardwalk regularly and said high-rises would ruin Steveston’s charm.

“It is totally out of scale. It’s a building that’s perfect for downtown Richmond—I do not want to live in downtown Richmond.” she said. “I think they’re proposing to create a Berlin Wall,” she added.

Groups of people huddled around informational poster boards and peered over each other’s shoulders to examine two scale models.

One of those models depicted Onni’s original plan which adheres to current zoning—six four-storey buildings with maritime-based commercial space on the ground floor.

The other showed the 200-unit high-rise proposal in which the entire development would be residential and contained in two buildings. As part of this proposal, Onni would donate two acres of land to the city, which could be a potential park site, and contribute $500,000 to the community centre.

If the high-rise proposal gets the green light, Cynthia Rautio would be able to see the buildings from her English Avenue home.

“It will shadow my home and I’ll have people in a tower staring down at my backyard,” she said. “I think it’s an ill-conceived proposal. I think the only thing generating this proposal is money in the pocket for Onni.”

Rautio would prefer the land be left as open space, but said: “If it has to be developed, it should be the lowest-density and the lowest-height buildings possible.”

David Fairweather has been following the Imperial Landing development since Onni tabled a new vision for the waterfront in 2003.

He had his comment card neatly filled out. All the written comments will first go to the city, then Onni for consideration.

“The 10- and 12-storey proposal is outrageous,” Fairweather said. “It demonstrates again the total lack of appreciation of the views of the public since 2003 at open houses, and what is appropriate for Steveston on this site.”

Fairweather was skeptical Onni would seriously consider the public opinion expressed at Thursday’s open house. “We’re never heard,” he lamented.

A besieged Chris Evans, Onni’s vice-president, attempted to address residents’ many concerns.

“People have some questions about the size and just what the ultimate use of the area is going to be after being donated to the city,” he told The Richmond Review on Friday.

He said the open house was meant to be an information session where people could learn what the current zoning allows and what the rezoning proposal would include. He wasn’t able to answer some of the residents’ more specific questions about traffic and amenities.

“We’re not in a position to respond to people talking about schools, or people asking different questions about things that are well beyond the control of a development,” he said.

Evans reiterated Onni’s reason for the rezoning application.

“The merit of the rezoning and the result of the buildings is basically we have tried to maximize the area able to be donated to the city,” he said.

A second public open house is scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 22 at Steveston Community Centre, 4111 Moncton St., from 6 to 8 p.m.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/richmond_...102653144.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 11:34 PM

Doesn't seem so bad but maybe 4 story residential would be a better fit. There are buildings like this at New West Quay and they fit in well there.

Rautio would prefer the land be left as open space, but said: “If it has to be developed, it should be the lowest-density and the lowest-height buildings possible.”

This shadow thing is a pretty big thing, Abbotsford and now here.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 1:12 AM

I've heard rumours this project is DOA, thanks to the rampant NIMBYism at the open houses. Can anyone confirm?

A shame, since now residents will get a solid wall of 4 story condos lining the riverfront, instead of two towers and more open space.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 1:19 AM

they deserve it haha

why would you buy there knowing the huge clearly developable lots will be developed at some point

maybe the sales people lied and said "oh it will be a beautiful park" who knows

no pity for the nimbys

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:09 AM

richmond review reports proposal has been scrapped

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:55 AM

Sadly, as I suspected. So now there will be a 4 story wall along the Steveston waterfront. Why residents think that is preferrable to two towers is beyond me.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 7:38 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Sadly, as I suspected. So now there will be a 4 story wall along the Steveston waterfront. Why residents think that is preferrable to two towers is beyond me.
Precedent. They don't want 20 ten to twelve story towers in the neighbourhood destroying the existing vibe. I think that it's a good decision. Steveston isn't a place for a town centre.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 8:37 AM

There is already a long-standing precedent for a high-rise in Steveston, most people just don't see it behind the trees of the park.

I live 3 minutes from this site and I would have preferred this proposal to the alternative. I liked the idea of only 2 buildings and the rest of the lot being turned over to the city.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Precedent. They don't want 20 ten to twelve story towers in the neighbourhood destroying the existing vibe. I think that it's a good decision. Steveston isn't a place for a town centre.
Well, they've put in a lot of density in 4 story woodframe buildings, that tend to all start looking alike. The towers were east of the village proper, and it would have given some nice variety.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley