HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Huge permit, new renderings filed for One Beale

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...one-beale.html
Good to see the project finally coming to fruition, but looking at the updated plans on the site, it looks like the hotel component has been redesigned once again, and won't look anything like the last two renderings did. Could be possible that either a second hotel was added to the development or they decided to make the Hyatt Centric bigger in scope than originally planned. I'm leaning more towards the former in that regard.

EDIT: Never mind. The hotel component hasn't changed.

Last edited by James Owen; Dec 7, 2018 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 12:35 AM

edit

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
Good to see the project finally coming to fruition, but looking at the updated plans on the site, it looks like the hotel component has been redesigned once again, and won't look anything like the last two renderings did. Could be possible that either a second hotel was added to the development or they decided to make the Hyatt Centric bigger in scope than originally planned. I'm leaning more towards the former in that regard.

From the site plan it looks like the Ellis Building is not part of the hotel now and will be redeveloped as retail later on, maybe it was too hard to incorporate and they are adding more space to the hotel for the meeting space/convention area that was supposed to be?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
From the site plan it looks like the Ellis Building is not part of the hotel now and will be redeveloped as retail later on, maybe it was too hard to incorporate and they are adding more space to the hotel for the meeting space/convention area that was supposed to be?
I edited my post just as you were responding. After looking at the plans on the Design Review Board's page, parts of the Ellis Building are being integrated with the hotel and used as meeting/event space while the rest is being repurposed into retail/restaurant space.

https://www.downtownmemphiscommissio...tt_Centric.pdf

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 1:43 AM

Found some interesting numbers for Union Row. Hopefully 2019 will be a great year for Downtown Memphis.

"There will be between 30,000 and 50,000 square feet dedicated to a grocery store serving Downtown and another 80,000 square feet for retail stores, restaurants and bars."

"About 350,000 square feet of the development will be dedicated to office space. Developers estimate that would make room for an additional 1,167 office employees to work Downtown. These, however, won't necessarily be new jobs."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ng/2232631002/

How much will the rest cost in Union Row and 5 other facts about the $950M development

Desiree Stennett, Memphis Commercial Appeal Published 7:16 p.m. CT Dec. 6, 2018

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
I edited my post just as you were responding. After looking at the plans on the Design Review Board's page, parts of the Ellis Building are being integrated with the hotel and used as meeting/event space while the rest is being repurposed into retail/restaurant space.

https://www.downtownmemphiscommissio...tt_Centric.pdf

Got it, thanks for sharing that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoftheRustBelt View Post
Outsider weighing in here. This is how second-rate cities stay second-rate: by wasting public money on stadiums & other projects they don’t need... And if I recall correctly that’s what has been happening with the Pyramid with you guys as well, performing under projections and what not... Let Jackson dump money on a stadium; y’all can save your millions and use them on, say, improving Beale St.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
another st. louisan here...agreed...
This right here. Thank you for that. I agree 100% about the stadium. The relationship the City has with the University of Memphis for use of the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium is a win-win. Not to mention, the upgrades to it & surroundings look fantastic. Welcome AAF Football and I'm glad to hear about the new concert delay system. The Liberty Bowl is now close to perfect for Memphis' needs and will be hosting everything now & more for well over another 40 years.

The Pyramid on the other hand relies on completion of the Gateway project with redevelopment of Uptown West, Pinch District in conjunction with St. Jude's multi-Billion dollar build-a-thon, expansion of Cook Convention Center with a new hotel tower along with riverfront & Mud Island parks redevelopments. Massive projects are about to break ground, literally, 360-degrees around the Pyramid. I can see them possibly adding more hotel rooms and outside attractions... And yes, One Beale is about to break ground with an eastward push for the entertainment district soon.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:53 PM

Thought I would post this as it had updated renderings of Union Row's office component, which now consists of a 14-story and 10-story building.

Downtown board approves first TIF, hopes to fill hole in development
By Jacob Steimer
Staff Reporter, Memphis Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...s-to-fill.html

Quote:
The project, known as Union Row, is set to develop almost 800 apartments, 200 hotel rooms, 110,000 square feet of retail, and 350,000 square feet of office space as part of its first phase. The phase is set to cost more than $510 million, with subsequent phases potentially costing another $400 million or more.

About 30,000 square feet of the retail space is set to be a supermarket. Adams said he's expecting multiple different grocers to bid on the space and that he'll seek community input on what type of grocer would be best.

[Kevin] Adams said he hopes to start construction in June 2019 and be complete with the first phase by June 2021.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:40 PM

Indigo Ag bringing 700 jobs to Downtown Memphis
By Tom Bailey/ Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/bu...wntown-Memphis

"Indigo Ag will base its North American Commercial Operations at Toyota Center in Downtown Memphis, where the high-tech agriculture firm will increase its workforce by another 700 corporate employees and invest $6.6 million over the next three years, Mayor Jim Strickland told The Daily Memphian."

"The new corporate headquarters is just two blocks from where ServiceMaster last year moved its headquarters with 1,200 workers into a converted Peabody Place mall.

The Toyota Center is surrounded by restaurants and entertainment venues that may appeal to tech-savvy workers. The building overlooks the Redbirds’ Triple A ballpark, is within a block of the Peabody Hotel lobby and Rendezvous barbecue, and just three blocks away from Beale Street’s clubs and the FedExForum.

“I think it’s evidence that Memphis has momentum,’’ Strickland said. “Downtown is continuing to grow. I think when companies want to recruit the best and brightest young person they have learned that Downtown is a great place to do that.

“Because young people want to be in the urban core," Strickland said. "We saw it with ServiceMaster and I think we’re seeing it here with Indigo Ag.’’

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:28 PM

Wonder Bread developers seeking grant for expansive Edge District park

Quote:
PGK Properties, which is spearheading the redevelopment of the former Wonder Bread plant in the Medical District, is seeking a grant from the Downtown Memphis Commission for a park that could cost up to $5.7 million.

Known as the Ravine, the park would run along an old rail corridor in the Edge District between Madison and Union.
https://www.dailymemphian.com/articl...-District-park

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:32 PM

Cidery submits plans for Downtown location

Quote:
Century Tree Cider Co. has submitted plans for a new craft cidery and taproom near Downtown Memphis.

Century Tree plans on renovating a nearly 100-year-old building at 484 Union Ave., near where property owner PGK Properties is planning its massive overhaul of the old Wonder Bread factory.

While the total project will carry a roughly $500,000 price tag, Century Tree and PGK are seeking a $60,000 exterior improvement grant from the Downtown Memphis Commission.

In addition to being a production space for cider, the planned cidery will feature a taproom with an exterior patio and deck.

https://www.dailymemphian.com/sectio...ntown-location

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 10:37 PM

Wiseacre expects to bring at least 40 jobs to Downtown with new brewery

Quote:
The new Wiseacre brewery planned for Downtown cleared a hurdle with the approval of a 15-year payment-in-lieu-of-taxes incentive Tuesday morning.

The PILOT will save Wiseacre about 75 percent of its property tax obligation each year the incentive is in place.

Brett Roler, vice president of planning and development for the Downtown Memphis Commission, said the project will be a boon for the neighborhood. At the corner of B.B. King Boulevard and Vance Street, the brewery and taproom is expected to serve as a connection point between the South Main and South City developments.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ve/2276511002/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
This right here. Thank you for that. I agree 100% about the stadium. The relationship the City has with the University of Memphis for use of the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium is a win-win. Not to mention, the upgrades to it & surroundings look fantastic. Welcome AAF Football and I'm glad to hear about the new concert delay system. The Liberty Bowl is now close to perfect for Memphis' needs and will be hosting everything now & more for well over another 40 years.

The Pyramid on the other hand relies on completion of the Gateway project with redevelopment of Uptown West, Pinch District in conjunction with St. Jude's multi-Billion dollar build-a-thon, expansion of Cook Convention Center with a new hotel tower along with riverfront & Mud Island parks redevelopments. Massive projects are about to break ground, literally, 360-degrees around the Pyramid. I can see them possibly adding more hotel rooms and outside attractions... And yes, One Beale is about to break ground with an eastward push for the entertainment district soon.

At the very least, the city should explore ripping out and redeveloping the endzones into suites and premium club seating an seeking the ability of a retractable fabric roof lime Vancouver that could be used to at least protect from harsh sun or rain and snow.while still neing mostly open air. That tecxlch has come a long ways.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
Wiseacre expects to bring at least 40 jobs to Downtown with new brewery

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ve/2276511002/

How uninspiring, the design, that is.

More on Indigo and the mention of MEM's hot pursuit of flights to Boston. I think JetBlue would be the perdect fit especially with their new A220s coming. Love to see them fly BOS, FLL and JFK flights to MEM, mayevn using MEM as a bridge to west coast markets they are in as well and frow those with Meud America fees

That said, I would live for this to land in Memphis and MEM was brought up. It would coincide with the new concourse as well.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/jet...on-new-airline

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post

I'll say it till I no longer draw breath

Memphis needs to model Mud Island after Tivoi in Copenhagen
https://www.visitdenmark.co.uk/en-gb...tivoli-gardens

It has many of the elements in place with the Museum and RiverWalk

Revamped River Museum with the centerpiece being a Disney Epcot Soarin' flying theater style attraction that flies you from Minny to the Gulf

Renovated Amp with premium box seats, videon boards and an open air but architecturally significant covering that does not impede skyline sightlines

Foot bridge to Beale Street Landing

Aquarium that strives to better than Chattanooga and New Orleans( Atlanta may be too much to shoot for)

Rides, particularly on the northern end, all done in a 1800s ironworks theme complete with uniform colors. A 300fr star flyer and much tamer large observation wheel. Several compact coasters and rides covered for better all weather conditions. See video

https://youtu.be/IQGsKFlnOys

Weekend fireworks during the summer coordinate with the lighted bridges

Create an Euro Style Christmas Market along the River Walkand south of the Gulf, Complete with a giant lighted tree with a music and light show, ice rink, ect. Deck the entire Island out in lights. The lights themselves will draw thousands(see SDC and Dollywood) have local school choirs do carols and concerts at the amp, Memphis Symphony Christmas Concert ect, ect, ect.

This would be a great piece into making Memphis a weekend destination for families throughout the Mid South. Find a way to build a hotel/indoor water park(see Great Wold Lodge, Opryland Hotel) downtown or across the river in West Memphis and it becomes an even better situation.

I'll never give up on it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
At the very least, the city should explore ripping out and redeveloping the endzones into suites and premium club seating an seeking the ability of a retractable fabric roof lime Vancouver that could be used to at least protect from harsh sun or rain and snow.while still neing mostly open air. That tecxlch has come a long ways.
Yea wayward I hear u. The issue is vision is lacking from the community & there is no political will to have a stadium that's equipped for the modern era. Citizens don't want their tax money (wasted) when there is no NFL tenant. Now I will state this much to the shifting of many taxpayers with the new usl team(901fc) they are clear on any expansion franchise or current teams. They must have a soccer specific stadium plan in place the deadline they gave is 2020 minimum capacity 5,000 maximum 10,000 You can look for peter feund (owner) and to be going to state & city for help you can expect a stadium around 80- 100 million Soccer will do better that I think some people expect here. So no elaborate redo of lb or no new football stadium soon.. here is an example of what to expect as a home here for the beautiful game

http://www.stadiumforindiana.com/vision/

Last edited by memphisborn; Dec 16, 2018 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 1:44 AM

Just a question Memphis guys and gals: Has anyoneyet fixed up the unused 100 North Main Building? Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Just a question Memphis guys and gals: Has anyoneyet fixed up the unused 100 North Main Building? Thanks.
Plans are currently in the works to convert the entire building into apartments as part of broader project that includes two new office towers and a Loews hotel.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...l-next-to.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:13 AM

The ravine is a nice addition to the union row project. Memphis is doing a great job extending the downtown footprint 👣 clearing up blight & creating density. Hope to see the Ravine succeed

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 9:02 PM

Hotel, apartments proposed for Racquet Club site

Quote:
The Racquet Club may be redeveloped with an upscale Hilton hotel and high-end apartments in a way that helps transform the surrounding area into a more pedestrian friendly place, club owners told members this week.

“We believe The Racquet Club property will become part of the most exciting, upscale redevelopment project in the core of Memphis in decades,’’ states a letter to members sent by the local ownership group, Golden Set Holdings.

The owners informed members last month that the club will close next spring and that new uses for the 12 acres were being pursued. This week’s second letter to members unveils the redevelopment plans.
https://www.dailymemphian.com/sectio...quet-Club-site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations