HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Station Square V in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilmoreStation View Post
Klazu, why don't you move to Altus?
Is that a serious question?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
6000 McKay, the fifth Station Square tower, will be 172m. That'll put it above anything in the Metrotown area, but only fifth in Burnaby. Brentwood ONE, TWO, THREE, and Altus will all be taller.

At least one of the Gilmore Place towers will be taller as well but we don't have any official heights on that development. The fourth Brentwood tower should also mirror the third so that'll beat it as well, once it's built.

PS - Great shot again, Klazu!

You're conflating "tallest" with "highest".

I asked about highest. (or second highest)

The tallest towers in Burnaby are (or are all going) to be in the Brentwood area.

But since Brentwood is in a low lying area, none of them are the highest.

Metrotown sitting on a ridge, means that practically all the towers there are higher than the Brentwood towers, and with Station Square #5 Tower slated to be the tallest in Metrotown,, will mean that logically it will be the highest tower in the two regions and I believe the second highest after (I forget the name) a tower in the Burnaby mountain region which is higher, but not taller (distance from grade level of the tower at the entrance side to the top of the tower versus the height at it's tallest point above or relative to sea level).

"Tallest" and "Highest" both refer to "height", but not necessarily in the same way.
(length and altitude, respectively.)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 1:02 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Fantastic picture, Klazu!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
You're conflating "tallest" with "highest".

I asked about highest. (or second highest)

The tallest towers in Burnaby are (or are all going) to be in the Brentwood area.

But since Brentwood is in a low lying area, none of them are the highest.

Metrotown sitting on a ridge, means that practically all the towers there are higher than the Brentwood towers, and with Station Square #5 Tower slated to be the tallest in Metrotown,, will mean that logically it will be the highest tower in the two regions and I believe the second highest after (I forget the name) a tower in the Burnaby mountain region which is higher, but not taller (distance from grade level of the tower at the entrance side to the top of the tower versus the height at it's tallest point above or relative to sea level).

"Tallest" and "Highest" both refer to "height", but not necessarily in the same way.
(length and altitude, respectively.)
Oh I didn't know you were talking about height above sea level. Well, using Google Earth, 6000 McKay sits at 129m above sea level. Add the building height and you get 301m.

The "lowest" of the towers on Burnaby Mountain (One University Crescent) sits at 338m above sea level, so every tower on Burnaby Mountain will be higher. There are 13 existing towers and two proposed towers ATM at UniverCity, so it looks like 6000 McKay will rank 16th "highest" in Burnaby upon completion.

Obviously this means the low rises are higher above sea level as well, but they aren't high-rises so they don't count.

PS - I had thought Metrotown was higher than that myself. TIL...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Quote:
Is that a serious question?
LOL, Jebby why don't you move to Escala?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
I love the look of the streetscape on Kingsway, but why are they not building separated bike lanes on the west side of the last two towers?
I thought you hate those "absolutely god-awful sprawl-sized roads" like those in Mississauga?

Continuous densification of really tall buildings surrounding such roads will eventually make them appear narrower, especially when overhead pedestrian bridges are introduced to link the buildings on either side of the roads, as in the case of Metrotown, and eventually Brentwood as well as King George Highway at Surrey Central.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondOval View Post
Great picture!! Does the Sovereign block the view of Altus for you?
Yes, it is right behind Sovereign. As Metrotown is on a ridge, even the new tall towers in Brentwood will always appear small from up here and we will be looking down on them.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Brentwood, but why would we move? We just signed a 14-month extension to the lease of our penthouse, so we will be staying in Metrotown for now. One day, who knows. If anything, I am tempted by 6000 McKay, but the completion of that is still years out. Too bad prices for apartments on the higher floor are guaranteed to be over $1 million, so not really worth it to buy.

Sorry for the bad photo of Station Square itself, but I cannot completely see it from our patio. I need to ask our nice neighbour to visit his patio to take a nice panorama of the whole Metrotown area sometime in the summer.

As always, thank you for the comments guys!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 7:49 PM

Some of the comments on the first few of pages of this thread (especially the first 2 pages) before the project officially started, are really funny.

Especially in context with what's actually happened and is happening.

There's also an interesting similarity between some of the views of the stores closing down in the old Station Square, with the comments now being made about the Brentwood Mall closing down and undergoing redevelopment.

2011 seems like an eternity ago now.
Originally the project was slated to be complete by around 2020/2021. I don't know how close to that mark they are on schedule, but I imagine they will probably not meet it since the last two towers had to be completely re-designed by KPF and that may have pushed their timeline back.

Does anyone know if or when they plan to start demolition and excavation for the final two towers? ( I imagine it won't be before towers #2 and #3 are complete).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 10:57 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I thought you hate those "absolutely god-awful sprawl-sized roads" like those in Mississauga?

Continuous densification of really tall buildings surrounding such roads will eventually make them appear narrower, especially when overhead pedestrian bridges are introduced to link the buildings on either side of the roads, as in the case of Metrotown, and eventually Brentwood as well as King George Highway at Surrey Central.
I do, and I hate Kingsway, including that section of Kingsway. I should have said "sidewalk-scape" or something more accurate to what I was thinking.

Also please note, there aren't any "Kingsway 2" or "Kingsway 3" super-roads with more than 4 lanes bisecting Kingsway, unlike in Mississauga where literally every road is like that. (Although I do hate the intersection at Willingdon with the pedestrian islands and left turn bays/signals.)

I should also mention that as soon as you get past Station Square, the environment with the parking lot ramps, the sidewalk leading to Superstore, the intersection at Sussex, etc. are disastrous. It's that sort of thing I'm hoping more development will fix (as well as getting rid of the right-turn lane into the parkade and widening the sidewalk).

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:14 AM

Station Square at the end of last year.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:04 AM

From SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Metrotown

IMG_9579 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:07 AM

From SSC:

Quote:
Metrotown

IMG_9579 by Hung Lam, on Flickr
Quote:
20170326_130233 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170326_130241 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170326_130405 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

For more images visit this thread...http://vancouver.skyrisecities.com/f...ikeakos.26745/
Quote:
Station Square, Burnaby

20170330_181040 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20170326_130440 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 6, 2017 at 6:24 AM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 5:08 AM

The second tower is now the tallest building in Metrotown. Photos from beautiful Friday afternoon.

Still some contrast along Kingsway.

Station Square is now taller than our penthouse.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 6:02 AM

Great pics, thanks.

So it fully blocks the Sovereign from your view?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 8:11 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

The second tower is now the tallest building in Metrotown.
And it looks like there are about five more floors (with greater ceiling heights) to go.

Thanks for the update. Out of curiosity, how are you determining that tower 2 has now surpassed Sovereign?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
So it fully blocks the Sovereign from your view?
Sovereign is actually just left of that picture, so we are still able to see both. So actually the tower is not yet the tallest structure in Metrotown but it has the highest level as of surpassing our level. I am basing this purely on my eye.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the pics! Didnt realize they were getting so tall already.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the pics, Klazu. I can already tell how tall these towers are from my western view of Metro town from Surrey Ultra. It's a view not known to a lot of people but gives Metrotown forefront status with downtown Vancouver in the background wanting a "me too" clause.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 1:58 AM

After walking around this development, I feel like this will be a game changer for Metrotown, setting the tone and feel for future developments in the area.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:19 PM

Thanks for the photos Klazu, looking good! Kingsway should have more buildings with taller podiums. The current buildings alongside it still make the area look rather suburbia urban.

And wow, that looks like a Scots Grey war-horse on the libray lawn there. When did they install that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley