HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 11:06 PM

the pile driver thing was pile driving away today.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Maybe those crane parts at 368 King are for this site . Vrancor does not even list that site amongst it's development pipeline via website.
I would suspect so, this development has nothing underground going of the designs, so they're likely to start with the crane within a few weeks. May as well store it nearby.

At one floor per week, this may very well be done or topping off before the end of the summer. Exciting.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:25 PM
Hamilton Historian

I am interested to see if this development does indeed end up looking like the renders, or if changes will be made along the way. Also how it will look without the bottom and middle part lit up like a christmas tree.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 3:47 AM
Forever forward.

Pictures from December 13th, sorry for the delay:

source: my personal twitter

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:05 AM
Dustin William

Definitely wish there was more of an apex to the roof line, not a big flat box. Staggered height even for the mech ph would be even be a nice addition. Hamilton isn't LA requiring a bunch of flat roofs for helipads, we should embrace the peaked roof! Its the perfect place to showcase a cool lighting feature, which Hamilton really needs.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:16 PM

I haven't been in town for a while - anyone able to share if there's been any progress at this site?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:42 AM

2/4/2019 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 5:11 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Thy are moving quit fast on this site, from proposal to approval to demolition to construction! If only all the projects moved at this pace this developer means business!!!

I walk past here quite frequently so I will take photos as construction progresses.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 8:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Darko doesn't mess around, I think he bought a crane instead of renting them.

It's like he half-way completes one project and already he's thinking about the next project. Which I think we all appreciate haha.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:55 PM

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:45 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

good stuff. this will look great in that area.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:44 AM
Burger Connoisseur

I took this shot yesterday. That generator was running and was either pumping something in or out?

Last edited by StEC; Mar 12, 2019 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:30 PM

Amateur question: looks to me like the hole for the foundation has bottomed out at 2-3 stories? That strikes me as being pretty shallow for a 25 storey building. Am I judging the depth wrong or the foundation-to-height ratio or what?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:50 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Amateur question: looks to me like the hole for the foundation has bottomed out at 2-3 stories? That strikes me as being pretty shallow for a 25 storey building. Am I judging the depth wrong or the foundation-to-height ratio or what?
Honestly I think it's only 1 single basement level. It's not deep at all. It does strike me as odd....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:07 AM

foundations don't actually need to be that deep for structural reasons - typically it's more to accommodate underground parking. In this case, as the parking is above ground, 1 level is all that is needed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
From my understanding of engineering, the piles driven into the bedrock are what give the building stability, not the basement. Generally they put parking and other things underground to save space and since they are digging anyway.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:07 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
From my understanding of engineering, the piles driven into the bedrock are what give the building stability, not the basement. Generally they put parking and other things underground to save space and since they are digging anyway.
It's the size of the footings that matter not so much the depth of them. If you look at some of the skyscrapers in toronto that are in like the 50-60 stories their foundations are often only about 2 stories deep.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Interesting, thanks. Why might a developer like Vranich be so consistently averse to underground parking? I would think a developer would find it advantageous to maximize the amount of parking that is underground but Vranich's track record in Hamilton is consistently above-ground only and I can't imagine what advantage he sees in that.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks. Why might a developer like Vranich be so consistently averse to underground parking? I would think a developer would find it advantageous to maximize the amount of parking that is underground but Vranich's track record in Hamilton is consistently above-ground only and I can't imagine what advantage he sees in that.
Cost I think. Building underground is extremely costly. Since land prices in Hamilton are high, and cost toe sell or rent is lower I'm guessing he's able to maximize profit this way.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:18 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
It's entirely cost. There is no other benefit to building aboveground versus underground. It is simply much cheaper to build aboveground.

Also, considering his projects often contain a fair amount of municipal or public parking spots, the cost savings are multiplied even further.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton