HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
ota there was 30,000 people downtown for the game in the area/ the block party
Just read 36,000 in another article. Crazy.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 4:48 PM
Rational urbanist

It was awesome. It's amazing how great downtown and Winnipeg can be when people come together like this.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Ugh... All of these "people" celebrating at Portage and Main... I hope the riot police put an end to this nonsense, cars are being BLOCKED!

https://twitter.com/TSN1290Radio/sta...19323534188546

It's disgusting...
I am picking up on your sarcasm here...

This reminds me of something I saw on Colin Fast's (Policy Frog's) Twitter feed yesterday:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 5:33 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
The Jets won round one. One would think you would wait a few of those before you start complaining.
Haha, "it's disgusting". One can almost hear your voice there. What do you think is supposed to happen when there's 20,000 people downtown and our team wins?
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...nglish/sarcasm

Learning is fun everyone!!!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 5:38 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post

This reminds me of something I saw on Colin Fast's (Policy Frog's) Twitter feed yesterday:
Sarcasm/contempt are all I have let for the P&M debate.

I waited years for someone to provide a logical reason for the intersection to remain closed and all I've ever seen is regurgitated nonsense that tries to keep Winnipeg worshipping cars as our only lord and saviour.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
LOL. Thanks. Drinking, posting = missing shit. Sorry about that.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 4:42 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
LOL. Thanks. Drinking, posting = missing shit. Sorry about that.
hehe Np! I was sadly sober that night so I had the opportunity to be snarky lol.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:01 PM

Quote:

I waited years for someone to provide a logical reason for the intersection to remain closed and all I've ever seen is regurgitated nonsense that tries to keep Winnipeg worshipping cars as our only lord and saviour.
The problem is on this thread some posters come up with some totally outlandish statements on a regular basis about why the intersection should remain closed. So when confronted with your sarcasm, it just seems really believable. Now we know.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

as we move into the third industrial revelution p&m opening back up makes sens

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Ugh... All of these "people" celebrating at Portage and Main... I hope the riot police put an end to this nonsense, cars are being BLOCKED!

https://twitter.com/TSN1290Radio/sta...19323534188546

It's disgusting...
I know, my friend from Niverville was absolutely furious. Even with speeding through the suburban portions of the city, it took her three minutes longer to get to the Tim's drive through. However, she was not worried that there was a 10 minute wait for the coffee and nor was she concerned about the resulting long idling of the vehicle.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post

This same thing occurred to me when I happened to be driving downtown during the last playoff game. I was going south on Donald and had to detour a couple blocks to get around the street party, and also drive extra cautiously because there were people crossing all over the place. Obviously this didn't bother me but I knew that all those hockey fans didn't think about how closing streets might effect traffic flow or pedestrian safety (lol). Yet if regular people happen to be crossing P&M while living out their daily non-jets-related lives this is problematic because it will effect commuting times

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 11:55 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The problem is on this thread some posters come up with some totally outlandish statements on a regular basis about why the intersection should remain closed. So when confronted with your sarcasm, it just seems really believable. Now we know.
I had no idea so many people were taking me seriously...

Wait... What if everyone that says they're against it on here are actually being sarcastic? That would explain why all of their arguments are pathetic!!!

I guess I'll just haft to become MORE ridiculous/offensive!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 11:58 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I know, my friend from Niverville was absolutely furious. Even with speeding through the suburban portions of the city, it took her three minutes longer to get to the Tim's drive through. However, she was not worried that there was a 10 minute wait for the coffee and nor was she concerned about the resulting long idling of the vehicle.
Only solution is to tear down that unsightly bank on the corner and replace it with a Tim's!! Finally some QUALITY for that intersection!

While were at it replace that pointless statue depicting a filthy "person" going to war for their country!! Get a nice golden car altar in there!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 4:56 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

Right?

That Venn diagram makes total sense too.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Portage and Main could be open to pedestrians by fall 2019
Aldo Santin By: Aldo Santin
Posted: 06/5/2018 5:59 PM

City hall is planning on re-opening the Portage and Main intersection to pedestrians by the fall of 2019.

The date was disclosed in a Request For Proposal the city released Tuesday, inviting bids for consulting services for the design and phase one construction associated with the intersection re-opening.

While council had approved the project at its October 2017 meeting, no dates were given in an administrative report.

The RFP states city hall expects the first barriers to be taken down to allow pedestrians to cross Portage Avenue East, between the Richardson Plaza and the Bank of Montreal.

"It is the City’s intent, subject to the findings of the Preliminary Design report resulting from the Services herein, and Council’s adoption of those findings, and/or that report, to proceed with construction to open the Portage Avenue East crossing as Phase 1," states section D5.2 of the RFP. A later section of the RFP states, "the City is targeting completion of construction of Phase I by the fall of 2019."

At its October meeting, council set aside up to $1.5 million in 2018 for "architectural and engineering services," for the intersection’s re-opening.

Council approved spending up to $3.5 million on the intersection in 2018. In addition to the $1.5 million for engineering and architectural work, council also approved: $500,000 for new sidewalks, curbs and street trees for the plaza area directly in front of the Richardson Building; and, $1.5 million to upgrade the underground concourse underneath the tower at 201 Portage Ave.

The RFP states this project does not involve any work in the underground concourse.

There were two caveats attached to the council approval: the intersection will not be re-opened to pedestrians until a report detailing cost estimates and traffic impacts is presented to council; and agreement that the administration will consider the impact of a potential north Main Street transit corridor will have on the project.

According to the RFP documents, consultants are invited to create "an urban design vision for Portage and Main that provides design direction and unification of the four corners by using an urban design and placemaking approach to connect people, places and transportation," and to plan and design "the introduction of at-grade pedestrian crossings at all four legs of Portage and Main, with a final report and drawings for all four crossings, including a recommended construction staging plan, schedule, and Class 3 estimates for each crossing phase."

The RFP states the winning consultant will be responsible for:

A design framework that will bring about a new image for Portage and Main that recognizes its historical significance as an iconic destination;
Proposing an improved pedestrian environment without pedestrian barriers that may include trees, pedestrian lighting, way-finding improvements and other streetscaping elements;
Consulting with applicable Portage and Main building owners or their representatives for alignment of the overall vision and coordination with potential works on adjacent private property;
Participating in a downtown stakeholders meeting to discuss the overall vision;
Integrating the design of public rights-of-way with the planned redevelopment of the Richardson Plaza;
Consulting with the Winnipeg Arts Council to explore the possibility of incorporating Public Art into any or all of the four corners.
The RFP also contains a link to a YouTube video, entitled Portage and Main, which outlines a brief history of the iconic intersection and contains drawings of what the intersection might look like.

The city expects the Bank of Montreal War Monument to remain in the same location. The designs may include "conceptual modifications to existing buildings and properties to enhance private-public interface." The consultant will also be required to produce 3D renderings of the vision for the four corners.

In an unusual request for a city RFP, the bids are limited to 15 pages in length (excluding a cover page, table of contents and the required forms) and only the first 15 pages will be evaluated. The RFP states material submitted as an appendix will not be evaluated.

The RFP closes at noon June 26. The document states the city expects to award the contract by July 16.

The winning consultant will be required to submit a draft plan by Oct. 31 – a week after the Oct. 24 civic election. The last council meeting before the civic election is Sept. 20.

The final report and designs are due by Dec. 21.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...484636073.html

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:51 AM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 12:12 PM
What could go wrong?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:00 PM

Great news, nice to see some progress on this front.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Something is definitely needed in the "plaza" at the Richardson Building. The empty space is depressing. The Fairmont needs to give the exterior a major facelift.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Something is definitely needed in the "plaza" at the Richardson Building. The empty space is depressing. The Fairmont needs to give the exterior a major facelift.
Huge opportunity here - the space in this plaza area is practically the same size of the centre of Portage & Main roadway:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89562.../data=!3m1!1e3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan