HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 27, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
is there still an ice jam in the harbour? there was one when i was there at 2 in the morning partying with 150 hipster cyclsits
Not sure. Didn't make it to the Harbour. But there was a dam just east of The Leg yesterday that is now gone.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 2:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Careful Chris, the negativity police will be along shortly to bawl you out.

The river has gone up eleven feet in just a few days. We went for a drive in the country yesterday and there is no snow anywhere but Grassmere and Parks creeks are running strong. The flood level has been downgraded once and by looks of things it will be again.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 6:56 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Careful Chris, the negativity police will be along shortly to bawl you out.

The river has gone up eleven feet in just a few days. We went for a drive in the country yesterday and there is no snow anywhere but Grassmere and Parks creeks are running strong. The flood level has been downgraded once and by looks of things it will be again.
The only thing I would worry about is how much water the Assiniboine river sees.

I was driving through SK yesterday and there is still a TON of snow around Regina.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 3:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow the river shot up
even from this morning

and then theres this

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Farmers block Portage Diversion channel

By: Staff Writer
Posted: 11:03 AM | Comments: 202 | Last Modified: 3:48 PM

Lake Manitoba farmers are refusing to move their equipment or get out of the Portage Diversion even after the province threatened to open the floodgates and wash away the equipment this afternoon.
"They’re going to wash some people away if they do that," RM Portage la Prairie farmer Kevin Yuill said from a cellphone in the diversion, located just south of the Trans-Canada Highway west of Portage, beside the Assiniboine River.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...205244801.html

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 1:30 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The James Avenue gauge hasn't been working since yesterday afternoon.

http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/pwddata/riverlevels/

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 3:13 PM

Will be heading your way.....

I thought they were underestimating this flood. They are now saying it is equal to 2011 and *might* get worse. A couple of days ago they must have had blinders on to miss the levels that I saw.
http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/inde...310&Itemid=902

*the flood of '74 hit a much larger portion of the city and back then Wakamow Valley had a large number of homes that weren't allowed to be rebuilt after they were flooded out that year. Spring Creek also became a raging river and it affected residential areas that won't be touched this time round. Thunder Creek also spread beyond its banks and flooded the downtown core and I have my doubts, since it already crested, that we will be seeing that this year. 1974 also had an ice jam that occurred at the same time that the two creeks and Moose Jaw river crested.

Last edited by PrairieGirl; May 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Will be heading your way.....

I thought they were underestimating this flood. They are now saying it is equal to 2011 and *might* get worse. A couple of days ago they must have had blinders on to miss the levels that I saw.

I guess this is reffering to Manitoba? If not never mind..It seems the flood threat in this province has been drastically downgraded. The quote is from a article reg: southern manitoba but it addresses flows are down on the Ass. River here.

The province also says the Assiniboine River is now ice free and flows on the river east of the Portage Diversion were increased to 8,000 cfs at noon. This will reduce flows through the diversion to 5,000 cfs by Saturday morning.

Highway 75 may not close, new flood report says

By: Staff Writer Posted: 05/3/2013 2:51 PM | Comments: 53
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...206007911.html

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 4:05 PM

The heading your way was in reference to Manitoba...the flooding was in reference to Moose Jaw, Lumsden, etc. I know you folks won't be getting a lot from the Red since Fargo and Grand Forks received a lot less flooding than was originally forecasted. We still are unsure how much will still come from the hills but I know it will be nothing like 1974 here.

Anyways it is heading your way (and thankfully for you folks it sounds like it won't be as bad as 2011).

I'm still wondering how much will be coming out of the hills above Weyburn....that will affect Minot, ND.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
The heading your way was in reference to Manitoba...the flooding was in reference to Moose Jaw, Lumsden, etc. I know you folks won't be getting a lot from the Red since Fargo and Grand Forks received a lot less flooding than was originally forecasted. We still are unsure how much will still come from the hills but I know it will be nothing like 1974 here.

Anyways it is heading your way (and thankfully for you folks it sounds like it won't be as bad as 2011).

I'm still wondering how much will be coming out of the hills above Weyburn....that will affect Minot, ND.
Not Sure, an April.19th article(a little old) says that 2013..is nothing like the 2011 situation but who knows what will happen when the snow melts in Sask.

City officials in Minot, North Dakota report the Mouse River that runs through their city is remaining within its banks.

Public information officer Bob Lindee says engineers are monitoring the river on a daily basis. But the flow of 2013 is nothing like what happened in 2011. He says they have been drawing down Lake Darling and reservoirs in Canada are also lower than previous years and that will help to take on a lot more water as it flows in from the upcoming melt.

Lindee knows lots can still happen as the snow melts in Saskatchewan and works its way into North Dakota. He says they are ready to do more flood work but hopefully the snow will continue to melt slowly and there isn't any serious flood problems.

http://www.discoverwestman.com/index...097&Itemid=247

Good luck in your neck of the woods!

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 11:52 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The Red is falling like a stone here. Looks like it will be down to normal summer level within two weeks. I've been in the river thrice in the last two days pushing my docks out further.

Last edited by Riverman; May 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
The Red is falling like a stone here. Looks like it will be down to normal summer lever within two weeks. I've been in the river thrice in the last two days pushing my docks out further.
I noticed that while walking across Louis Riel today. Since walking over it yesterday it has receded by two or three steps on each staircase on either side, which is equal to about 2-3 feet from what I can tell.

Anyone know how long it takes for the crew to clean up once the water recedes to below the walkway?

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
The Red is falling like a stone here. Looks like it will be down to normal summer level within two weeks. I've been in the river thrice in the last two days pushing my docks out further.
Wow Riverman, I haven't heard anyone use the word "thrice" since "The Knights Who Say Ni"

......thou must have found thy water quite chilled.........yeah, I'm not very good at it
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Anyone know how long it takes for the crew to clean up once the water recedes to below the walkway?
I think clean up it's somewhere in the neighbor hood of $70k +/ km, when flooded right out,depends if it happens more than 1 time / yr. as well. This is probably more if the actual walkway structure is damaged, stone work, light standards..etc.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
I think clean up it's somewhere in the neighbor hood of $70k +/ km, when flooded right out,depends if it happens more than 1 time / yr. as well. This is probably more if the actual walkway structure is damaged, stone work, light standards..etc.
Sorry Cyrodill, I asked for how long.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 2:45 PM
BANNED

Cycling along the Bergen cut-off near Black Bridge I noticed some small sink holes in the old rail bed just past the down slope towards the river, since the river bank is like a sheer cliff at this location I wonder if this the start of yet another riverbank slump. Wouldn't be surprised to see another large section of riverbank collapse into the river in the near future.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Sorry Cyrodill, I asked for how long.
Thx, Sorry Coffee needed, (note to self:read posts carefully before commenting) 1-2 weeks..I lived on roslyn rd for ever, watched this happen almost every year..

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The water is warmer than one would think, judging by how it felt when I went in face first while pushing an extra float under one of the docks.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 1:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
The water is warmer than one would think, judging by how it felt when I went in face first while pushing an extra float under one of the docks.
Isn't the water moving quite fast right now? Sounds like you have a strong dock, or are in a good location. Either way, another sign we will likely not have spring this year and proceed right into summer.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 3:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I was working on them in the yard. The water is up in the yard as were the docks until Saturday when I moved them out into the channel. Floating them down into place is easier than waiting for the water to go down then loading them onto the railway. I've been here since '92 so I've figured out the easiest way to do this!

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 4:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
I was working on them in the yard. The water is up in the yard as were the docks until Saturday when I moved them out into the channel. Floating them down into place is easier than waiting for the water to go down then loading them onto the railway. I've been here since '92 so I've figured out the easiest way to do this!

Good thinking!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan