HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Open channel flow calculations are fairly simple. Software can easily read out in flow for a given level measurement.
So you just being overly pedantic in your reply to jmt quoted below?

Quote:
Gauges don't measure flow, they measure level. Flow is calculated. Mentions of "flow measurement" in the media are incorrect.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 6:14 PM

First post.

Province could have started building clay dikes last fall, but that might have been waste of money if there would have been little snow this winter in SK and western MB. WFP did publish articles over the winter, with Mr. Mutulu commenting about 2011 being a flood spring, even if the snow-fall and spring run off would be normal. He also mentioned that in the event of higher than normal snow-fall, the flood may be severe. I don't know where the flood fighting decisions are made, but it appears that the decision makers weren't lacking forecast information.

Just wondering if the Assiniboine flow will raise the James Ave. levels once that flow gets here. Couple of strong storm fronts moving across southern Manitoba and we might literally be in deep poop.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 7:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if it happens it happens all we can do really is move stuff to higher ground such as the second floor........ i might start doing this also tempting to pick up some floating chlorene hottub pool despensors to have laying around the house in case i gotta evac so at least i have some way of protecting against mold no??
my house had around a foot of water on the main floor in 1950

source: http://www.hottubpartsdirect.com/del...ser-p-709.html

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 7:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
So you just being overly pedantic in your reply to jmt quoted below?
I don't understand the question.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 8:03 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
also tempting to pick up some floating chlorene hottub pool despensors to have laying around the house in case i gotta evac so at least i have some way of protecting against mold no??
Ugh. Nothing really protects against mold. Best of luck if you do see water.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 9:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if it works for pools its gotta be help in a flooded home

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 9:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Don't worry man, the Red has past it's peak.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 10:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

scout motto be prepared

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Don't worry man, the Red has past it's peak.
The Red is still very high and went up last week and has stayed at about that point since, it should go a lot higher when the second crest on the Assiniboine comes in week or so.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:35 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The Red went down a bunch last night.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 8:39 PM

Quote:
if it happens it happens all we can do really is move stuff to higher ground such as the second floor........ i might start doing this also tempting to pick up some floating chlorene hottub pool despensors to have laying around the house in case i gotta evac so at least i have some way of protecting against mold no??
my house had around a foot of water on the main floor in 1950

source: http://www.hottubpartsdirect.com/del...ser-p-709.html
I work in Insurance Restoration, and when drywall get's wet, it takes up to 5 days to produce microbial growth (mould). As for your floor strapping that takes a lot longer to rot, and I wouldn't worry about that. In my opinion the only thing that will save your basement from flooding is a great sump pump. I would maybe invest in a R-200 Dehumidifier to rent, that will keep your humidity levels down, and prevent capillary action from occurring.

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 2:02 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

More water is going through the Portage Diversion right now than is going through the floodway. The PD is designed to flow 25,000 CFS, right now it is flowing 33,600 CFS. Yikes!

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 5:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I work in Insurance Restoration, and when drywall get's wet, it takes up to 5 days to produce microbial growth (mould). As for your floor strapping that takes a lot longer to rot, and I wouldn't worry about that. In my opinion the only thing that will save your basement from flooding is a great sump pump. I would maybe invest in a R-200 Dehumidifier to rent, that will keep your humidity levels down, and prevent capillary action from occurring.
if i could afford a dehumidfyer i would have one my basement gets crazy humid in the summer

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 12:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
if i could afford a dehumidfyer i would have one my basement gets crazy humid in the summer
They aren't that expensive.

The one I have cost me $150-200.

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 9:34 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
They aren't that expensive.

The one I have cost me $150-200.
And you can often find them really cheap at garage sales and such. Like $20 cheap and barely used. A lot of people buy them when they move into a new house, because the first few years can be very humid in the basement. But after a while they no longer need it. Try garage sales in newer parts of the city, I used to see them all the time in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 12:01 AM

I wouldn't even bother with a non-industrial dehumidifier. They wouldn't remove enough water to make a dent in your houses overall humidity. Our R200's (our smallest ones) draw the temperature to 95 degrees and less than 25% R.H. Now that is dry! You can rent them from any insurance restoration company for .25 to 1.00 a day.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 1:36 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Back for another brutal blow
River threatens to crest again with heavy rain
By: Bruce Owen
Posted: 06/10/2011 1:00 AM |

Manitoba's top flood forecaster, Steve Topping, said it's possible the Hoop and Holler bend will have to be reopened to accommodate a second crest anticipated next week.

Manitobans are back on high alert as waters on the Assiniboine River rise again to almost the same levels that forced the Selinger government to deliberately flood properties south of Portage la Prairie.
Record rainfall in southwestern Manitoba and a looming fifth storm that could dump more rain next week will see projected flows on the Assiniboine at the Portage Reservoir hit 53,000 cubic feet per second (cfs). The day the controlled release at the Hoop and Holler bend was made in early May, inflows at the reservoir reached 52,300 cfs.
"I would like, as emergency measures minister, to be able to give some sense that there's light at the end of tunnel," Steve Ashton said Thursday. "I want to be very frank with Manitobans that we're facing more challenges, and we're going to continue to face challenges."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...123611584.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Major flood at border forecast
A lot of snow, slow melt blamed
By: Bartley Kives
Posted: 1:00 AM

A major flood on the Red River at the Canada-U.S. border is all but certain this spring, based on the latest number-crunching by U.S. flood forecasters.
The U.S. National Weather Service's advanced hydrologic prediction service said Thursday there is a 95 per cent chance of major flooding at Pembina, N.D., at some point during the next two months. The prediction is based on conditions observed Monday.

"We're looking at a 2011-type flood," said Mike Lukes, a National Weather Service hydrologist based in Grand Forks. Although overshadowed by the Assiniboine River flood of 2011, the Red River flood during the same spring resulted in ring-dike closures at 15 Manitoba communities in the Red River Valley, the closure of Highway 75 south of Morris and the second-highest flood crest in Winnipeg since the Flood of the Century in 1997.
A flood of similar magnitude is probable this year despite dry weather in 2012. Heavy rains last fall saturated the top level of the soil, which froze solid early in the winter, Lukes said. The heavy snowpack on top of this crust and the delayed thaw have combined to increase the flood threat. The snowmelt, usually underway by now, has yet to commence.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...199490181.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Fargo forecast to have one of top 5 floods in its history
U.S. National Weather Service says Red River could top 11.6 metres
CBC News Posted: Mar 21, 2013 10:57 AM CT

Fargo is bracing for what could be one of the top five floods in its history.

The U.S. National Weather Service announced Thursday that residents living along the Red River in Fargo and Moorhead, Minn., should prepare for one of the top five worst floods in the history of their area.

The weather service released its flood outlook for the area, saying there was a 50 per cent chance the river could top 11.6 metres, that’s 6 metres higher than its flood stage.

Gregory Gust, a meteorologist with the U.S. National Weather Service, addressed the media in Fargo Thursday morning.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...n-history.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 3:50 AM

Quote:
The U.S. National Weather Service's advanced hydrologic prediction service said Thursday there is a 95 per cent chance of major flooding at Pembina, N.D., at some point during the next two months. The prediction is based on conditions observed Monday.
No need to worry, we are only going to have "minor" flooding here. I am starting to think that since the 2011 flood the Red River has been dredged so that water flows south from Manitoba into Pembina, ND. At least that is the only way I can explain there being such a difference in the prediction of the current flood conditions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan