HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Not many provinces are more relatively wealthy or successful than Sask right now.
True and we should be very proud of that fact. Outside of Ontario $612.5B in GDP, Quebec $319.3B, Alberta $263.5B, and British Columbia $191.0B; our $63.5 billion in GDP leads the rest of Canada (which must make our neighbours in Manitoba envious with their paltry $54.2 billion in GDP). However, how you manage your wealth is just as important as acquiring wealth (which is why I agree I would rather be in Canada's position rather than Italy's even though they have a bigger GDP of $2.055 trillion vs $1.577 trillion). Part of this debate is over the wise use of tax dollars and making sure that we get the best project for our investment.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post

Rottie: I am singling out domed stadiums because that is what we are debating. If we were debating shopping malls, I would have posted data on how long it takes a shopping mall to get to the point where it needs to be retro-fitted or replaced.

You are absolutely correct that most domes and major sports arenas are no longer competitive after about 25-30 years. They may be viable structurally (although several have been demolished because they just became too expensive to maintain year after year), but they are not viable competitively without major expensive overhauls. Like you said, after 30 years Edmonton is replacing their arena because it is no longer competitive. What makes you think that our domed stadium will still be competitive in 25-30 years? In 25-30 years Regina's domed/retractable roof stadium will need to be replaced or we will have to spend another half billion dollars plus renovating the building like they did in Vancouver. Anyway, whatever choice we make should hold us for the next few decades and most of us probably won't even be around to debate this issue again in 2042.
I think it's ridiculous that these venues are being replaced after 30 years. If built properly they should be around 70 -80 years,maybe more seeing the huge expense that goes into them. My opinion is whatever gets built in Regina will be around alot longer than 30 years. This is the CFL we are talking about here.

Just for the record I think building a domed stadium is a bad idea unless the roof can open. If Regina doesn't build a retractable roof stadium, an open air stadium shouldn't be a regret. I recall seeing the Stones in Calgary at the Saddledome and seeing the Stones in Regina,outside,beautiful full moon evening,skyline in the background. That show blew away Calgary's show mostly because of the atmosphere. All the pro-dome people should keep that in mind.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 1:29 PM

Mayor calls for patience on new stadium

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
Quote:
“As much as people want this thing started already it is best to do this thing properly. We don’t want to have buyer’s remorse like in Winnipeg,” Fiacco said.

Fiacco noted that the problems in Winnipeg generally stem from the location and type of facility.
Where is he getting that from?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 5:07 PM

Same old story from Fiacco. Hasn't managed to get any of his ducks in a row after shooting off his mouth at the onset when the city took over this file from the provincial governement, so makes up excuse after excuse as to why we have zero headway in this plan. The comment about Winnipeg is a desperate one. We'll see how much 'buyer's remorse" Winnipeg fans have when they're sitting in nice comfortable seats in a lovely facility and don't have to line up for the washrooms for a quarter or actually have great sitelines to watch a game or event. Yeah, they'll be pi$*%d off for sure!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Where is he getting that from?
Apparently Pat has been in talks with the people in charge of the stadium there and they told Pat not to make the same mistake as we did here in winnipeg going with an open air facility. they said they had no choice because there was no private money on the table and had to do it at the U of m to get that extra funding from the feds.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Apparently Pat has been in talks with the people in charge of the stadium there and they told Pat not to make the same mistake as we did here in winnipeg going with an open air facility. they said they had no choice because there was no private money on the table and had to do it at the U of m to get that extra funding from the feds.
I wonder which "in charge" people you're refering too. It's been clear since as early as 2002 that no facility in Winnipeg getting government funding would be domed (due to a non-competition clause with the MTS Centre). No choice because of no private money? I'm confused - the publicly funded stadium we're building has a higher budget than the proposed Asper facility. And funding from the feds? That one takes the cake. There is no federal funding for the stadium - there is approx. $15 M in federal money going to an unattached recreation/work-out facility elsewhere on campus, but the stadium was in no way contingent on that project...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I wonder which "in charge" people you're refering too. It's been clear since as early as 2002 that no facility in Winnipeg getting government funding would be domed (due to a non-competition clause with the MTS Centre). No choice because of no private money? I'm confused - the publicly funded stadium we're building has a higher budget than the proposed Asper facility. And funding from the feds? That one takes the cake. There is no federal funding for the stadium - there is approx. $15 M in federal money going to an unattached recreation/work-out facility elsewhere on campus, but the stadium was in no way contingent on that project...
thats what i heard.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 1:27 AM

From who?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
From who?
He must have heard it from Migs or one of Migs inside contacts.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 12:10 AM

What a joke. Like I have said this project it out of the scope for Fiasco to handle. He does indeed sound desperate, what a useless piece of news, he must be hearing it from residents daily on what the progress is on the stadium. I understand they are drawing up new plans but to not even talk about the progress those plans and just go into picking at Winnipeg with unfounded facts is a joke.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:11 PM

Regina Revitilization Procurement Team Contracts

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, even though it's a small step it's a start on laying a framework for the project. The document is a little confusing though...they appear to be looking for a minimum of 4 defined positions (project manager, architectural advisor, owner's engineer and fairness advisor) along with some technical advisors which we might assume would only be involved on an as needed basis. But instead of defining the architectural advisor role and the owner's engineer role, they lump them together with a vague description.
Nevertheless this will give them a team to steer the process...hopefully this team is assembled in the next couple of months.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:13 PM

Are those corporate boxes along the top of the new seats? That is one thing, in addition to enough restrooms, that Mosaic sorely lacks.

edit: I guess I should read the press release:

Phase one will add approximately 7,000 temporary seats, as well as corporate boxes, to the north and south end zones; complete with their own concessions and washroom facilities – and creating a bowl-like atmosphere for fans.

Last edited by Stormer; Feb 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:20 PM

They need to angle the Section A, B seats towards the center of the field or the view will be really shitty.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:49 PM
ARTchitecture

What they need to do is demolish the whole damn thing and build a real stadium that doesn't require temporary seating. Stop wasting money on this 80 year old thing and build a retractable dome stadium. I know it's a lot more expensive to construct at first, but seriously the operating costs overall are probably equal to or less than what it costs to repair and add on to that piece of shit every year.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 8:13 PM
arf

I'm guessing the only way we'll see a new stadium is if Taylor Field falls over.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 8:26 PM
Hmm....

Calm down and watch the vid people. Plans haven't changed.

http://www.globalregina.com/14+milli...075/story.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Calm down and watch the vid people. Plans haven't changed.

http://www.globalregina.com/14+milli...075/story.html
CALM DOWN! CALM DOWN! But that's what we do around here!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan