HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 3:42 AM
Movin' on up

I have yet to visit the Valley Zoo, but I have heard that the facilities are outdated and rundown as well. Are there any initiatives in the works to refurbish the zoo?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:09 AM

I have been thinking about some of the comments about the River Valley over the past few days. At first I thought maybe it had slid into disrepair and was being rivaled by other well-known parks in Alberta. Last Sunday I had a chance to walk through the Valley from Louise McKinney to Groat and I can say without a doubt the River Valley is the crown jewel of Edmonton and is looking better than ever.

The city has made many significant improvements that are tasteful and reflect what Edmontonians want; a natural area. During my walk the Valley was packed with walkers, joggers, and cyclists. It is a very well used as is.

I don't think the Valley needs restaurants, shops or the like. As a city we can't even get good businesses to develop along the edge (East Jasper for example), so why develop over what makes the Valley so unqiue. And phooey I say to all those doubters that always have to look elsewhere from what is really great!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:11 AM
HVAC guru

^I agree with you 100%.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:49 AM

The river valley is still great.
But it should still have one coffee shop and restaurant somewhere right down at the water I don't care where.
And the zoo still sucks, and shouldn't be mentioned in polite conversation.

I do think this is apt, though:

Anyone want to guess what that "tourist map" is of, or where it's located?

Edmonton I love you, but you're bringing me down...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
The river valley is still great.
But it should still have one coffee shop and restaurant somewhere right down at the water I don't care where.

I do think this is apt, though:

Anyone want to guess what that "tourist map" is of, or where it's located?

Edmonton I love you, but you're bringing me down...
Yes, THAT's what I was getting at when I started this thread!

The river valley could use some re-signing and restoration to some of it's aging EXISTING infrastructure. I admit I also wondered out loud what opinions there might be for tourist-oriented development (not residential like what's happened in some parts), and it sounds unanimous. Upgrade existing, but don't add more.

That being said, I do think we should try to do something unique with the Rossdale area immediately on the doorstep to downtown. We could develop something similar to the Forks in Winnipeg, possibly with some historical walking tour of the development of Edmonton (maybe even complimentary to existing historical content at Fort Edmonton Park-- like a satellite museum of sorts). We don't necessarily have to open the floodgates to commercial development, but something other than the power plant would be nice.

I'll admit, the area from Louise McKinney to McKinnon Ravine is excellent, but the further away from that central area you get, the more places you see that could use some help.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:40 AM

I'm pretty sure I know where that sign is, and I'd say if that is your evidence that a 50km long park is falling apart then I think you need to re-think your position. I'm not saying that the Valley doesn't need improvements or resignage, but it is absolutely gorgeous and looking fantasic these days.
The grass isn't always greener...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 1:21 PM

^ And it barely even counts as "aging" since it's from 2001. But it does show just how half-assed we can be, sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:35 PM
HVAC guru

I guess I will need to take a real river valley phototour on my bike. Most of the signs are in decent shape. The LMP map looks like it got a bunch of water & dirt in it.

They're working away at LMP again, lanscaping down near the promenade. Can't wait to see how the new light standards look.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Most of the signs are in decent shape. The LMP map looks like it got a bunch of water & dirt in it.
Most of the signs are definitely more durable than a blueprint in a glassbox.

But how many ground-breakings, ribbon-cuttings and photo-ops have there been near LMP/Shaw/the Quarters recently? And no one from the city noticed this or ever thought to fix it?

It's just the complacency that gets me. What else is being blissfully ignored?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
I'm pretty sure I know where that sign is, and I'd say if that is your evidence that a 50km long park is falling apart then I think you need to re-think your position. I'm not saying that the Valley doesn't need improvements or resignage, but it is absolutely gorgeous and looking fantasic these days.
The grass isn't always greener...
K, I'm not attempting to use this as standalone evidence, I'm trying to say that such a sight is not uncommon in several river valley parks, and I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll need to take my camera next time to prove it.

I started this topic after biking from Laurier Park to Hermitage Park -- that's a good 30 km jaunt one-way, and I returned on the opposite side of the river. I'd say that's covering enough ground to get a good sense of the state of the entire river valley, and apart from signage, there's more than a little trail repaving that I'd say is due or overdue in a lot of places.

While it's great that all the parkland is protected (and I love it just as much as the next person!), I've noticed parts of it that were previously developed (with trails) and are looking more than a little neglected today, particularly in the east end near Rundle Park.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 3:30 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
If the zoo is such a disgrace, why isn't anything being done about it?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton