HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
^Oh YES, what the person said is so true. When I came to Edmonton, I was pretty shocked. My friends from either Vancouver or Toronto complain the same thing also.

The streets are not clean enough. Roads are wavy (they try to fix it). Old, rusty, decripit buildings, apartments, houses. It does not feel like a world class city but a small town.

Went pass some apartments that does not look like a well maintain apartments. The design is just plain boxy and they look, dirty.

Public transport not adequate (but they are working to expand LRT, put new busses, that is great, but still need more). Need to open LRT to the west, NAIT, extend to the airport. Why just building LRT they are bickering as if it is a waste of money?

Lots of junk yards and factories along the left and right of LRT. LRT stations all look outdated, like in the 70s! Need to be remodeled. Central Library just too small, it does not represent the city, but more like a big shop.

Kingsway mall looks old and decripit. Needs make over. West Edmonton Mall also looks kinda outdated somehow.

Many junkies and homeless. Need rent control. Landlords should not hike rent irresponsibly!!
Luckily we am type good.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:54 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton needs to start on the home front with some god damn civic pride...many people love this city, but more dont seem to. I have never been in a canadian city where people litter so much, dont respect things so much, and just ignore issues.

This happens in every city, dont get me wrong, but i find it more prevalent here.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Edmonton needs to start on the home front with some god damn civic pride...many people love this city, but more dont seem to. I have never been in a canadian city where people litter so much, dont respect things so much, and just ignore issues.

This happens in every city, dont get me wrong, but i find it more prevalent here.
The whole mindset is perpetual -

"Why should I clean up my shit if no one else seems to?"

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:36 PM
Community Guy

^yup...and Edmonton has done a pretty good job in recent years to make change with this through different campaigns of corporate and public involvement, but we need more.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:38 PM
Dreaming in Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
^Oh YES, what the person said is so true. When I came to Edmonton, I was pretty shocked. My friends from either Vancouver or Toronto complain the same thing also.

The streets are not clean enough. Roads are wavy (they try to fix it). Old, rusty, decripit buildings, apartments, houses. It does not feel like a world class city but a small town.

Went pass some apartments that does not look like a well maintain apartments. The design is just plain boxy and they look, dirty.

Public transport not adequate (but they are working to expand LRT, put new busses, that is great, but still need more). Need to open LRT to the west, NAIT, extend to the airport. Why just building LRT they are bickering as if it is a waste of money?

Lots of junk yards and factories along the left and right of LRT. LRT stations all look outdated, like in the 70s! Need to be remodeled. Central Library just too small, it does not represent the city, but more like a big shop.

Kingsway mall looks old and decripit. Needs make over. West Edmonton Mall also looks kinda outdated somehow.

Many junkies and homeless. Need rent control. Landlords should not hike rent irresponsibly!!
Your rant makes sense until "need rent control". Rent controls would only make things worse.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 11:06 PM

Murman is 100% right with rent controls. Low rents or inability to increase rents takes away any incentive to spruce up a building. In other words you create more derelict buildings rather than renovated good looking properties.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 5:40 PM
Community Guy

City remake starts with a basic housecleaning
Readers say they're tired of big talk and little action

Gary Lamphier
The Edmonton Journal

Saturday, November 17, 2007

EDMONTON / Thursday's column on Edmonton's chronic image woes triggered a torrent of heated e-mails from readers, and a handful of phone calls.

Predictably, some were defensive about their hometown, and slammed any visitors -- or know-nothing newspaper scribblers -- who had the gall to criticize their fair city, no matter what their motives.

Others were oddly tetchy -- including a local lawyer, who stoutly defended the garish "peep show" parlour off Jasper Ave. East as a "legitimate" business, as if that had anything to do with the topic at hand.

Most readers did get the point of my column, however. And most agree that Edmonton -- to put it politely -- is long overdue for a makeover.

While a national promo campaign may indeed raise awareness of the many positive things Edmonton has to offer, they say it's futile unless the city starts to care a lot more than it does about its physical appearance.

As one reader put it, a promo campaign built on nothing but hot air "is like putting lipstick on a pig." Lousy first impressions, he says, are killing the city.

Forget the media relations campaigns. Let's start with the basics, readers suggest -- such as improved litter and graffiti cleanup, tougher landscaping standards, enforced paving of hundreds of dusty, garbage-laden parking lots, and more care and attention to key city entry routes like Gateway Blvd.

If we do a better job addressing these simple issues, the argument goes, perhaps we can build a bit of momentum, and Edmonton will start generating the kind of positive buzz that cities like Calgary enjoy.

I also received another message from local corporate types, whom I'd criticized for failing to show up at an EEDC-organized meeting last week to map out a vision for the city's future. They're fed up, they say, with empty jawboning exercises that have traditionally gone nowhere.

"Attend meetings to discuss makeovers? Are you kidding? People are too busy working. Don't just talk about it, do the image makeover. Think really big Mr. Mandel, and make your vision a reality," wrote one exasperated ex-Montrealer.

"Many of us have been through it all before," said the CEO of a major real estate firm. "There has been study after study of these types of image problems, and it seems the city's solution is to talk and not act," he complained.

"During my long career as on operations management consultant, I used to be asked how I knew whether a potential client wasn't 'world class,' " wrote another.

"The easy answer was the first impression -- the state of the housekeeping. Housekeeping in this city is next to non-existent."

He's right. I've written about it many times. Yet nothing seems to change, year in and year out. The city looks as trashy as ever.

In Edmonton, what passes as good enough, just isn't good enough. It's second-rate.

Which is why the city continues to suffer an ugly-duckling image.

Don't get me wrong. Despite Edmonton's image problems, I'm not suggesting that other cities don't have their own challenges. Far from it, in fact.

Consider Vancouver. It consistently ranks among the world's most livable cities. Its spectacular natural setting is a marketer's dream.

Local house prices have long levitated in the stratosphere, but that hasn't stopped thousands of people from moving to Lotus Land every year, in pursuit of the mythical West Coast lifestyle.

After living there for 13 years, I concluded that Vancouver was a fabulous place to live if you're comfortably retired, rich, or young and single. Not so great if you're a middle income earner with kids and a mortgage. So I left.

With the 2010 Winter Olympics now barely two years off, you can expect to hear a lot about Vancouver for the next 26 months, culminating in two weeks of wall-to-wall media coverage. When it comes to eye candy, few cities in the world can match Vancouver.

But beneath the glittering surface, there's a growing sense of nervousness in Vancouver about the city's economic future. Other than the gravity defying real estate sector, the Olympics-related building activity, and the busy Port of Vancouver, the city's economy has few other drivers.

The forest sector is in deep trouble. Manufacturing is stalled. Exports are falling. The province's natural gas sector has been sideswiped by the high loonie, just like Alberta's.

The number of local head office jobs has been falling for years, thanks to a string of corporate takeovers. The local tech and biotech sectors are struggling.

And with U.S. real estate prices in decline, speculators who bet on continued gains in Vancouver condo prices are getting antsy.

Since Vancouver's inflated real estate values are at the very core of the city's continued prosperity, a correction of even 10 per cent could put an end to the consumer spending boom that has kept the city's economy afloat.

When one considers the fact that per capita income levels in Vancouver are well below those of Edmonton, the seeds of future economic problems in Lotus Land are already sown.

glamphier@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2007

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:08 PM
DRINK

I suggest the spin doctors who created this website can help. I can make a dump look like the Hotel Macdonald

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:15 PM
GT Champion

/\ WTF!!

I wonder how many ppl book that place unknowingly..

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:19 PM
GT Champion

Coming soon luxury suites at the grand...what does that include? A bottle of big bear on ice

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:40 PM
serial audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Me too. I'm aghast at the number of times I see people toss garbage out their car window. The city should be implementing a special tax on food chains that offer drive though service. 50 cents a car. And then put 100% of that money into community leagues or other community groups that can stretch those dollars into a propper clean up effort.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:41 PM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:41 PM

"Such character, charm and beauty" hahaha

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:44 PM
The Republic of Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
Luckily we am type good.
Don't be iliteraphobic, but use it as something constructive. So the guy can't spell... maybe he's was drunk when he typed it or can't speak proper english, or both. The point is Edmonton does need to clean itself up a bit more than most cities. Edmonton is a industrial city that was poorly layed out. With commercial, residential and industrial areas mixed together. Ideal for community living, but looks like hell a number of years later with everything looking unsightly, ecept for the beautiful parkland areas.

What Edmonton needs to understand is, yes it needs to improve it's esthetic appreance because after all it is the capitol of Canada's greatest province.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Don't be iliteraphobic, but use it as something constructive. So the guy can't spell... maybe he's was drunk when he typed it or can't speak proper english, or both. The point is Edmonton does need to clean itself up a bit more than most cities. Edmonton is a industrial city that was poorly layed out. With commercial, residential and industrial areas mixed together. Ideal for community living, but looks like hell a number of years later with everything looking unsightly, ecept for the beautiful parkland areas.

What Edmonton needs to understand is, yes it needs to improve it's esthetic appreance because after all it is the capitol of Canada's greatest province.
Maybe it would help if the AB Gov't gave "a tinker's d@mn" about Edmonton. Hopefully Eddy will change this.
Edmonton's depression is over, now its time to clean up.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 7:25 PM

Edmonton is the capital of Alberta. It isn't the 'capitol' of anything.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 9:47 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar555 View Post
Maybe it would help if the AB Gov't gave "a tinker's d@mn" about Edmonton. Hopefully Eddy will change this.
Edmonton's depression is over, now its time to clean up.
"Eddy" needs to 'show us the money' first and foremost!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 5:24 PM
Urbis Maximus

Eddy needs to develop a strong longterm vision for the province first....what is Alberta's future? What do we want Alberta to be like in 10, 20, 30 years?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 7:38 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilbrush View Post
Me too. I'm aghast at the number of times I see people toss garbage out their car window. The city should be implementing a special tax on food chains that offer drive though service. 50 cents a car. And then put 100% of that money into community leagues or other community groups that can stretch those dollars into a propper clean up effort.
Please, no more "targeted" taxes. It'll end up in general revenue and won't make a bit of difference anyway.

The only way to entice people to stop littering is to pay them to drop their garbage in a bin. What a strange world this would be.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2007, 7:41 PM
Community Guy

^again this stems back to a pride thing...i walk my dog 2-3 times a day and every single day see someone drop a cup, leave behind a paper which then explodes into 20 pages of garbage, chuck stuff from their car...etc.

I usually tell them they are lazy or to have some god damn pride.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton