HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:41 PM

Photos - Edmonton Academy (St. John's School)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:15 PM
Change is good

Thanks for posting these pictures - but what's so significant about this school? Looks pretty run of the mill early to mid 21st century edmonton school...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:18 PM

nice pics!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 4:30 PM

Nice pics - great deco style! I didn't know we had any schools built like that here. Is it still in use?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 5:13 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Thanks for posting these pictures - but what's so significant about this school? Looks pretty run of the mill early to mid 21st century edmonton school...
one of the few art deco inspired schools in our city.

I really hope we hold on to this school and reinvest in it for the families of the downtown and central area.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
It's awesome.
It's decrepit.
It's awesomely decrepit.

But also as etown and Cold mention, it is pretty unique. It's got heavy deco and bauhaus influences, and it's a world away from the Edwardian schools that preceeded it, while hinting at the Modern schools that would follow it 20 years later. It really is quite distinct from the typical mid-century Edmonton school.

Also, the pre-eng gym (assuming that's a gym) is a standout. It's in excellent shape, and is probably only about 10 years old? And that means that at some point in the last decade or so it was acceptable to drop that POS into the middle of Oliver.

And as far as I know the building is still in use. The Edmonton Academy is - as I understand it - a private school for the problem children of rich parents. The website says children with learning disabilities, but I knew a girl who taught there a year or two ago, and apparently "My parents could buy and sell you, so why should I listen to you?" was pretty common.

Nice building though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
It's awesome.
It's decrepit.
It's awesomely decrepit.

But also as etown and Cold mention, it is pretty unique. It's got heavy deco and bauhaus influences, and it's a world away from the Edwardian schools that preceeded it, while hinting at the Modern schools that would follow it 20 years later. It really is quite distinct from the typical mid-century Edmonton school.

Also, the pre-eng gym (assuming that's a gym) is a standout. It's in excellent shape, and is probably only about 10 years old? And that means that at some point in the last decade or so it was acceptable to drop that POS into the middle of Oliver.

And as far as I know the building is still in use. The Edmonton Academy is - as I understand it - a private school for the problem children of rich parents. The website says children with learning disabilities, but I knew a girl who taught there a year or two ago, and apparently "My parents could buy and sell you, so why should I listen to you?" was pretty common.

Nice building though.
My wife worked there up to until a couple of years ago. It's still going. The building and land are owned by the Catholic School Board and leased to Edmonton Academy. Since they don't use the school, the Catholic Board has no interest in maintaining it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:18 AM

There's actually 3 more art deco style elementary schools around town that I've seen.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_B_Russell View Post
There's actually 3 more art deco style elementary schools around town that I've seen.
Westglen's a great one. It's actually much more Deco and less Modern than St. John's is. And it actually has a front. St. John's has two sides, but totally doesn't have a front.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton