HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:34 PM

The reason we got Nexus cards is for $10 (CDN) a year you get access to the TSA Pre security lines in US airports. If you travel through a large US airport once a year it quickly becomes worth it. Instead of waiting in long queues and fighting with your carry-on you basically walk right to the front of the line. It is actually a good bargain considering US citizens pay $17 (USD) a year for the same access.

--

Separately, WestJet's discount arm named Swoop announced their flights today. YWG made their list with flights to YHM (Hamilton) which is acting as their eastern hub of sorts. Nothing too exciting unless you are looking for a flight to maybe catch a Bomber road game.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:41 AM

Fellas, keep it down on the nexus cards will ya. They’ll only be good if they remain somewhat of a semi-secret.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 4:18 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ The Nexus lines in Winnipeg/Emerson don't mean much to me since the regular lines are rarely long, but being able to access the TSA Pre lines in US airports is a huge benefit... I'll have to look into that!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The reason we got Nexus cards is for $10 (CDN) a year you get access to the TSA Pre security lines in US airports. If you travel through a large US airport once a year it quickly becomes worth it. Instead of waiting in long queues and fighting with your carry-on you basically walk right to the front of the line. It is actually a good bargain considering US citizens pay $17 (USD) a year for the same access.

--

Separately, WestJet's discount arm named Swoop announced their flights today. YWG made their list with flights to YHM (Hamilton) which is acting as their eastern hub of sorts. Nothing too exciting unless you are looking for a flight to maybe catch a Bomber road game.
Yeah it's interesting that WJ centred all Swoop's operations around Hamilton. It's almost useless unless you live in the GTA.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:02 PM

Swoop seems to be structured to heavily protect WestJet's core business. It also gives it a quick response mechanism if a new upstart ultra low cost carrier starts up.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Swoop seems to be structured to heavily protect WestJet's core business. It also gives it a quick response mechanism if a new upstart ultra low cost carrier starts up.
Well Flair seems to be doing OK and Jetlines is coming soon, and will also be using Hamilton as it's main port, so there's definitely competition.

It'll be interesting to see how Jetlines vs. Swoop pans out as they both only offer flights to and from Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:22 PM

I know Flair/NewLeaf made plans to fly from Alberta to the Mesa Gateway (Phoenix secondary) airport last year. WestJet previously only flew to the main airport (SkyHarbour) but immediately responded with service to Gateway. They still run service to Gateway but only through Alberta best I can tell.

One of the advantages of Gateway is as a tiny airport, smaller than YWG, it is likely much easier to get slots that SkyHarbor with is significantly busier.

I expect WestJet to make similar aggressive moves to protect its market shares and that Swoop could be its new attack vector.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:28 AM

All of this cold weather has me thinking.... Why doesn't YWG have year-round flights to sun destinations?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie00 View Post
All of this cold weather has me thinking.... Why doesn't YWG have year-round flights to sun destinations?
Demand for sun travel drops precipitously from Canada during the summer. The only exception I can think of might be Orlando, for obvious reasons.

Year round flights to sun destinations aren't justified and it is better to use capacity on domestic and intercontinental flights during the summer.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie00 View Post
I'm sure demand is there for certain sun destinations, however there are particular challenges that YWG faces that other cities dont.

YQB for example, a similar sized city, has year round flights to VRA, CUN, CCC, SNU, PUJ and POP (mostly 1x or 2x weekly in the summer). Sunwing operates the bulk of these in summer. However, Sunwing needs to send a plane to YQB to operate these flights, and since YUL (a year round Sunwing operating base) is close by, a quick repositioning flight is not a big deal.

The cost of that repositioning flight needs to be factored in to the summer services provided. The business case might make sense from YQB, but might not from YWG.

These are the same kind of issues faced by TS or Rouge, if they were to operate summer sun destinations out of YWG.

Also, Sunwing loses over half it's fleet in the summer (which it leases from Europe during the winter season only). They operate year round sun destinations out of YUL, YQB, YYZ, YVR and YEG. That means the reduced fleet is spread thin during the summer, which doesn't help YWG's case.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Feb 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan