HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3661  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:37 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tache
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
True. But dealing with abuse or safety issues is different. Its driving.
Like I said, you don't get it. There's a whole lot more to the job than just "driving".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3662  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:54 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Like I said, you don't get it. There's a whole lot more to the job than just "driving".
I'm sure it's a thankless job, when your driving a semi you don't have people screaming in your face or trying to assault you!
__________________
I'm sober enough to know what I'm doing, and drunk enough to really enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3663  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:43 AM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tache
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I'm sure it's a thankless job, when your driving a semi you don't have people screaming in your face or trying to assault you!
It's not thankless. Many passengers appreciate a good bus operator. But take your two points along with city traffic and ignorant drivers (cyclists to semis), inadequate schedule time, inadequate washroom facilities and so on and so on. Throw in to that mix a workday that could take 13 or more hours to complete for 7.5 hours pay. Add buses with poor suspensions and cheap seats pounding over Winnipeg roads leading to workplace injuries for back problems and an employer that only cares about the bottom line rather than long term costs.

You may think "why do they get paid that much?" There's a good reason. It takes a special kind of person to do the job and there aren't a lot of those around. If there were WT wouldn't be short 70+ bus operators. And pay needs to be commensurate with the challenges of the job. Even at the current rate of pay which posters here say is too high, it isn't enough to attract the right people to the job.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3664  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:15 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
It's not thankless. Many passengers appreciate a good bus operator. But take your two points along with city traffic and ignorant drivers (cyclists to semis), inadequate schedule time, inadequate washroom facilities and so on and so on. Throw in to that mix a workday that could take 13 or more hours to complete for 7.5 hours pay. Add buses with poor suspensions and cheap seats pounding over Winnipeg roads leading to workplace injuries for back problems and an employer that only cares about the bottom line rather than long term costs.

You may think "why do they get paid that much?" There's a good reason. It takes a special kind of person to do the job and there aren't a lot of those around. If there were WT wouldn't be short 70+ bus operators. And pay needs to be commensurate with the challenges of the job. Even at the current rate of pay which posters here say is too high, it isn't enough to attract the right people to the job.
I don't agree, I think as long as the pay is enough to retain and maintain levels as needed than we should not pay a penny over that number. A persons value is determined by the rarity of their required skill set.

There are only so many people who can preform surgery, so we need to pay them more to retain them. There are no required skills to be a buss driver, which is why someone with a grade 10 education is qualified. Therefor we can pay them less because there is a much larger pool of people who can do the job.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3665  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:29 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I don't agree, I think as long as the pay is enough to retain and maintain levels as needed than we should not pay a penny over that number. A persons value is determined by the rarity of their required skill set.

There are only so many people who can preform surgery, so we need to pay them more to retain them. There are no required skills to be a buss driver, which is why someone with a grade 10 education is qualified. Therefor we can pay them less because there is a much larger pool of people who can do the job.
It isn't just rarity of a good or service that determines its value, it's also need. If, as the previous writer indicated, WT is short 70+ operators, then that is a significant need that is not being filled at the current rate of pay. Even though many have the required skill set, not enough of these people are choosing to be an operator. The supply is not large enough to meet the demand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3666  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:34 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
It isn't just rarity of a good or service that determines its value, it's also need. If, as the previous writer indicated, WT is short 70+ operators, then that is a significant need that is not being filled at the current rate of pay. Even though many have the required skill set, not enough of these people are choosing to be an operator. The supply is not large enough to meet the demand.
I get what you're saying, I didn't understand what the previous writer was saying. It's kind of like work on the oil rigs. people were being paid huge amounts because the need for labour required the pay. I agree with that but is WT severely short staffed and require that many drivers?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3667  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:22 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,099
^^ The challenge isn't so much if WT is or isn't short staffed on drivers but rather the long haul trucking market is still a highly fluid employment field with companies always looking. That pushes up the wages for large vehicle commercial drivers. While a transit operator can have a lower level of commercial license it isn't a big stretch to get from the license needed to be a transit operator to the one needed to be a long haul truck driver. If the wage gap becomes too large between those it really puts pressure on transit operators to make the switch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3668  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:49 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ The challenge isn't so much if WT is or isn't short staffed on drivers but rather the long haul trucking market is still a highly fluid employment field with companies always looking. That pushes up the wages for large vehicle commercial drivers. While a transit operator can have a lower level of commercial license it isn't a big stretch to get from the license needed to be a transit operator to the one needed to be a long haul truck driver. If the wage gap becomes too large between those it really puts pressure on transit operators to make the switch.
While the skill set may be similar, the work environment is wholly different. Long haul drivers could be gone days at a time, sleep on a truck, live out of rest stops and gas stations. Bus drivers go home after work.

Someone mentioned oil rigs.. they also have to pay a lot because you have to convince people to leave home to live on a camp with thousands of adults (many of whom have severe drug/alcohol abuse problems), and do gruelling and often dangerous work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3669  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:01 PM
The Unknown Poster The Unknown Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
It's not thankless. Many passengers appreciate a good bus operator. But take your two points along with city traffic and ignorant drivers (cyclists to semis), inadequate schedule time, inadequate washroom facilities and so on and so on. Throw in to that mix a workday that could take 13 or more hours to complete for 7.5 hours pay. Add buses with poor suspensions and cheap seats pounding over Winnipeg roads leading to workplace injuries for back problems and an employer that only cares about the bottom line rather than long term costs.

You may think "why do they get paid that much?" There's a good reason. It takes a special kind of person to do the job and there aren't a lot of those around. If there were WT wouldn't be short 70+ bus operators. And pay needs to be commensurate with the challenges of the job. Even at the current rate of pay which posters here say is too high, it isn't enough to attract the right people to the job.
So your argument is that Transit doesnt support their staff enough so they should pay more to the employees to do a job that requires minimal specialized skill (to be fair, I dont know how to drive a bus...I also dont know how to drive a semi).

Im all for Transit having better services and treatment for their staff. But saying "we are sort of a crappy company so we will over-pay" makes little sense.

If you present me a petition for Transit to be a better company for its employees, Ill sign it. Pay drivers more? Nope. Now, should transit become a highly profitable enterprise, I have no issue with increasing pay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3670  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:06 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
So your argument is that Transit doesnt support their staff enough so they should pay more to the employees to do a job that requires minimal specialized skill (to be fair, I dont know how to drive a bus...I also dont know how to drive a semi).

Im all for Transit having better services and treatment for their staff. But saying "we are sort of a crappy company so we will over-pay" makes little sense.

If you present me a petition for Transit to be a better company for its employees, Ill sign it. Pay drivers more? Nope. Now, should transit become a highly profitable enterprise, I have no issue with increasing pay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3671  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:31 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
So your argument is that Transit doesnt support their staff enough so they should pay more to the employees to do a job that requires minimal specialized skill (to be fair, I dont know how to drive a bus...I also dont know how to drive a semi).

Im all for Transit having better services and treatment for their staff. But saying "we are sort of a crappy company so we will over-pay" makes little sense.

If you present me a petition for Transit to be a better company for its employees, Ill sign it. Pay drivers more? Nope. Now, should transit become a highly profitable enterprise, I have no issue with increasing pay.
This kind of situation arises in a lot of union environments. Wage demands, generous benefit packages and all the union red tape BS means the employer has to cut corners elsewhere. They end up short-staffed and dysfunctional and it puts a lot of strain on the staff, which the union then uses to argue for more wage increases, and so on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3672  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:47 AM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tache
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
So your argument is that Transit doesnt support their staff enough so they should pay more to the employees to do a job that requires minimal specialized skill (to be fair, I dont know how to drive a bus...I also dont know how to drive a semi).
Nope. Aside from the fact that it's more than a minimal specialized skill and I take personal insult to your assumption of that, I'll quote myself:

"It takes a special kind of person to do the job and there aren't a lot of those around. If there were WT wouldn't be short 70+ bus operators. And pay needs to be commensurate with the challenges of the job. Even at the current rate of pay which posters here say is too high, it isn't enough to attract the right people to the job."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3673  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:31 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,755
It's too bad the transit rodeo skill test route is not set up right now. I'd like to see some of the posters here try and go through it and see how well they do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3674  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:44 AM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Osborne
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It's too bad the transit rodeo skill test route is not set up right now. I'd like to see some of the posters here try and go through it and see how well they do.
I would LOVE to do that. I've been driving since I was 12 and still enjoy it. Traveled all across western Canada and back and could have done the other direction right then. Not so much my traveling partner haha.
__________________
Put up an antenna. TV is free as it always was and now comes with full program descriptions for the next 14 days on each channel, plus full HD that's far superior to cable and again, it's free!(after initial setup).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3675  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:03 AM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tache
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It's too bad the transit rodeo skill test route is not set up right now. I'd like to see some of the posters here try and go through it and see how well they do.
Bus rodeos are fun. Last one in Winnipeg was in 1997. Management/employee relations were at a low point and they couldn't get enough operators interested (no one wanted to drive a bus on their day off) so management cancelled it after that. If it was revived I think they'd get a lot of support now. Mind you, part of the rodeo for operators was appearance and the uniform looked much more professional back then.

I think it was $5.00 for the public to try their hand at driving a bus. Driving is the easy part of the job though. They used to say they could teach anyone to drive a bus. The other skills needed for the job can't be taught. I disagree with the former however.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3676  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:20 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,755
I was an impartial judge for one of the stations for a number of years until Transit and the Union stopped having the Family Day/Community Open house/ Skills competition.

The drivers who competed made it look so easy compared to the media who were invited to run the course after the drivers finished, and took out traffic cones / big orange plastic barrels all over the place
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3677  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:02 AM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tache
Posts: 1,010
Love watching the barrels fly!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3678  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:06 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 5,832
Good conversation.....belongs in the Transit thread though.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3679  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:51 PM
LilZebra's Avatar
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Spiritual
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fort Garry, Man.
Posts: 2,185
I think its not the Pay, but the perceived on the job of Safety for the drivers of why they are short of drivers.

Time to invest in Transit here. Time to privatize. Get the Union out of WT.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3680  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:02 PM
The Unknown Poster The Unknown Poster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Nope. Aside from the fact that it's more than a minimal specialized skill and I take personal insult to your assumption of that, I'll quote myself:

"It takes a special kind of person to do the job and there aren't a lot of those around. If there were WT wouldn't be short 70+ bus operators. And pay needs to be commensurate with the challenges of the job. Even at the current rate of pay which posters here say is too high, it isn't enough to attract the right people to the job."
Why does it take a special kind of person? I've met some particularly nice drivers over the years but no one I would identify as any more special than anyone else in a public facing job.

You have to drive. Its minimal specialized in that you need to drive a large vehicle. Im not sure how many people who drive well every day would fail a training course on driving a larger vehicle. Maybe its a lot.

Is there a requirement to graduate high school? You literally need to know how to drive and not be an idiot (ie. keep a schedule, remember your route, be pleasant to the public).

What other "specialization" is required? Why is it special? because it can be unsafe? Take that up with WT and law enforcement. If the job was perfectly safe, would it still require a "special person"?

You're taking offense. Im simply saying $53,000 is good money to drive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.