HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine Rocks View Post
Perhaps these outrageous parade attendance guesses are simply part of urban legend.

The logistics of 2-3 million people on Broad+ BF Parkway doesnt seem plausible. The photo below is a good crux of the parade crowd and it looks to the naked eye maybe 15,000 people in that photo.

Theres only 6-7 Million people in the entire metro . There are some estimates that want you to believe 3 Million were at the parade, thats 1 out of every 2 people in the region attending the parade. It's more likely like 1 out of every 10 people attendedd imo. Which puts the number right at 600k-700k.

I think all these crazy estimates for parades have been overdone.

Don't forget, there were a lot of people from outside the metro in attendance as well (I didn't go into too detailed of talks with strangers, but people, but I personally ran into people from Baltimore, North Jersey, Providence and Minneapolis) and, as some have said below, if you include the people who popped their heads out for a few minutes or watched from their office or apartment in the second most dense downtown in the country, then I think even the visible crowd shots are undercutting how many people partook.

I'm not going to make any guesses at actual size, but I will say it was significantly more than the Phillies parade 10 years ago (the fact that it ended on the Parkway definitely helped). So whatever you estimate that was, add at least a quarter to it, if not more.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:41 PM

Mappy:

Phila. Eagles Super Bowl Championship Parade
by Philadelphia MDO Special Events, on Flickr

by Philadelphia MDO Special Events, on Flickr

by Philadelphia MDO Special Events, on Flickr[/IMG]

That album has some good ones.

But, how do you account for all of the people "in buildings" -- but on rooftop, balconies, parking garages, etc .... I was on a rooftop over looking the Parkway, and it was shoulder-to-shoulder, literally as packed as it could get. The cops came up at one point because building management was freaking out (also people were climbing on top of areas close to the HVAC units).

---
Sorry for anyone who doesn't care -- but I've always been fascinated by crowd size estimates as well. I'm not sure where the Phillies 2 million figure came from, because as someone who attended both -- the Eagles was insane (much bigger).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:52 PM
SUSPENDED

Oh dear, these peaceful happy crowds are sweet... That's an unparalleled atmosphere.
Thanks for the pics. I could live it as a kid for the 1998 world cup here. It was like millions of happy people in the streets, the poor partying with the better off. All the streets were filled with people, from all over the metro area, that's large.
It was something.
psst... A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
I like bass. Give me some.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:33 AM

Don't know if anyone posted this, but this showed up at One Liberty Observation Deck.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:10 AM
Mr. Technology

Mr Saturn64, someone working at Liberty Place is a member of this forum.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:55 AM

The city should send this photo as an addendum to its Amazon HQ2 Proposal, with the caption: "If you select Philly for HQ2, each of these people will buy an Echo"
(Image referenced only - See Original Post 8084789)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:56 AM

Although getting Amazon to chose Philly with God only knows what incentives , would be a good thing . I have to ask why can't they use the same incentives and vigor to attract and cultivate more start-ups and bring in more health science firms . I would rather see 100 smaller companies like Inovio . Amazon could harm Phillys Bio Tech Industry ? http://ir.inovio.com/news-and-media/...6/default.aspx

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:04 PM

Philadelphia hotel performance remains strong amid competition from Airbnb, lodging alternatives: Report

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...irbnb-jll.html

Quote:
2017 was record year for Philadelphia hotel properties; Center City hotel occupancy was 78.2 percent, according to STR and CBRE Hotels, representing a small change from the 78 percent reported in 2016, which had the highest occupancy in 70 years. Hotels hit the 78.2 percent figure despite a 4.5 percent increase in the number of hotel rooms, a result of six new hotels that includes the AKA University City.
Quote:
Airbnb cumulative rentals exponentially grew in Philadelphia since 2014; Airbnb was legalized in Philadelphia in July 2015. Cumulative rentals in Center City, for example, to date grew 680 percent since 2014.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
Although getting Amazon to chose Philly with God only knows what incentives , would be a good thing . I have to ask why can't they use the same incentives and vigor to attract and cultivate more start-ups and bring in more health science firms . I would rather see 100 smaller companies like Inovio . Amazon could harm Phillys Bio Tech Industry ? http://ir.inovio.com/news-and-media/...6/default.aspx
I think you're comparing apples to massive out of this world oranges. The incentives that the city is throwing at Amazon are most likely unparalleled to anything the city has offered any company in the past. I agree that Philly could do more to foster startups, but that has to do with the current laws and taxes in place, not so much 'if you come here, we will give you this'. They are trying to get 50,000 high paying jobs in one fell swoop instead of convincing 1,000 different 50 person companies to come into the city (which they are still trying to do, just not by offering freebies). Don't get me wrong, 50,000 employees from a number of different startups is equally as (or more) beneficial than one 50,000 person conglomerate, but it's a different beast.

I'm hoping once the CTC is finished, Comcast will truly become an incubator for tech startups and Philly can truly become an East Coast tech hub.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut View Post
100 Smaller companies, especially start ups would not net 50,000 jobs. It's more like 1,000 smaller companies. This is why Philly is willing to offer Amazon incentives unlike anything they'd be willing to offer a 50 person company.

Edit: Milksteak already said it better right above me.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:37 PM

[QUOTE=Groundhog;8085719]Don't forget, there were a lot of people from outside the metro in attendance as well (I didn't go into too detailed of talks with strangers, but people, but I personally ran into people from Baltimore, North Jersey,

No matter how big or small , Queen said it best .

We are the champions, my friends
And we'll keep on fighting...till the end
We are the champions, We are the champions
No time for losers cause we are the champions...
Of the world

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:04 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Don't forget, there were a lot of people from outside the metro in attendance as well (I didn't go into too detailed of talks with strangers, but people, but I personally ran into people from Baltimore, North Jersey, Providence and Minneapolis) and, as some have said below, if you include the people who popped their heads out for a few minutes or watched from their office or apartment in the second most dense downtown in the country, then I think even the visible crowd shots are undercutting how many people partook.

I'm not going to make any guesses at actual size, but I will say it was significantly more than the Phillies parade 10 years ago (the fact that it ended on the Parkway definitely helped). So whatever you estimate that was, add at least a quarter to it, if not more.
I took the Amtrak from Washington DC. I never knew so many Eagles fans were in the DC area.

sbelectric.viridian.com

Last edited by shakman; Feb 15, 2018 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 9:41 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
100 Smaller companies, especially start ups would not net 50,000 jobs. It's more like 1,000 smaller companies. This is why Philly is willing to offer Amazon incentives unlike anything they'd be willing to offer a 50 person company.

Edit: Milksteak already said it better right above me.
I would say that "jobs" is a bad metric -- how many times is it used to justify massive subsidies with the expected benefits either unrealized or slower to realize than anticipated?

But of course that begs the question of which metric(s) would be more appropriate to gauge economic development. I would augur that net startup formation would be a halfway decent metric here, because if you're getting a lot of startups and they're surviving a decent period of time, that's symptomatic of strong bottom-up economic activity (i.e. your average person is able to find the resources to turn their ideas into reality). But startups are necessarily small shops, and it takes time for them to turn into major employers ... which ultimately the consumer class whose primary demand is for stable employment.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I would say that "jobs" is a bad metric -- how many times is it used to justify massive subsidies with the expected benefits either unrealized or slower to realize than anticipated?

But of course that begs the question of which metric(s) would be more appropriate to gauge economic development. I would augur that net startup formation would be a halfway decent metric here, because if you're getting a lot of startups and they're surviving a decent period of time, that's symptomatic of strong bottom-up economic activity (i.e. your average person is able to find the resources to turn their ideas into reality). But startups are necessarily small shops, and it takes time for them to turn into major employers ... which ultimately the consumer class whose primary demand is for stable employment.
Startups need capital (private equity or venture capital, even rich investors) and failure rates can be high. Re-locating mid-size to large companies that want to expand is a better option if we are talking about a choice.

Ideally, having both is ideal and realistic for Philly. One can be an impetus for the other, like how CTC or CC invests in a start up or buys smaller firms and integrates it into its business plan. One day the start up grows up and employs more people because it can sell more products and/or services. Symbiotic relationships.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I took the Amtrak from Washington DC. I never knew so many Eagles fans were in the DC area.
There are Eagles fans everywhere! I watched the game live at a bar in Saint Petersburg, Russia (so 2:30 to 6:30 am) and the spot was full of passionate Eagles fans.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
There are Eagles fans everywhere! I watched the game live at a bar in Saint Petersburg, Russia (so 2:30 to 6:30 am) and the spot was full of passionate Eagles fans.
I can second your motion on that; I know a few people on the Paris Police Prefecture who are Eagles fans; they were pretty glad when we went to the Super Bowl and I know they loved that game.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 10:15 PM

This is a very good sign for 1911 Walnut on the condo side. It means there are buys out there willing to plunk down above the $4MM and above Territory.

Consider One riverside sold one of its penthouse for a cool $7million.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180216.html

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:04 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
This is a very good sign for 1911 Walnut on the condo side. It means there are buys out there willing to plunk down above the $4MM and above Territory.

Consider One riverside sold one of its penthouse for a cool $7million.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180216.html
Not many...But 1911 Walnut only has 2 full floor units and a bi-level penthouse. Most of the condos are 2 and 3 BRs and will be in the $2-4MM range. There are a lot of them, though...more than Philly has seen in any one building. 10 Rittenhouse and One Riverside (and the Ritz) had more smaller units mixed in. Hopefully it is successful. It seems to be a go from what I'm hearing.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 1:48 AM

Count the cranes; ChinaTown, W, CTC, even Hamilton. Plus Alexander and One Franklin.

676 West by Darren LoPrinzi, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:28 AM

The Alexander - luxury apartments/retail - 370 FT - 32 FLOORS - COMPLETE

The building is complete, and the thread will be moved to the Completed Projects Archive.

Thread here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...22#post8090322

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations