HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 6:03 AM
sharpie sharpie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 47
Does anyone know if the city considered a diverging diamond at circle and idlwyld? Not sure it would fit and how many access points would be affected, but far superior to spui's from a capacity perspective.

Induced demand is real. You don't see it immediately after a project is completed, but it affects the choices people make about how they get around. Everyone has tolerances that they're willing to live with in terms of travel time, cost of transportation, quality of job, quality/cost of housing. An improved transportation link alters that balance. As an example, instead of the commuter parkway, what if the city spent the money on the west bypass illustrated above? My guess is that development in Kensington would increase and the northeast would grow less than with the commuter parkway. On the other hand, the commuter parkway will enhance the growth in the northeast. It's a really interesting topic because its really difficult to quantify all the variables.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 4:13 PM
Arts Arts is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
Does anyone know if the city considered a diverging diamond at circle and idlwyld? Not sure it would fit and how many access points would be affected, but far superior to spui's from a capacity perspective.

Induced demand is real. You don't see it immediately after a project is completed, but it affects the choices people make about how they get around. Everyone has tolerances that they're willing to live with in terms of travel time, cost of transportation, quality of job, quality/cost of housing. An improved transportation link alters that balance. As an example, instead of the commuter parkway, what if the city spent the money on the west bypass illustrated above? My guess is that development in Kensington would increase and the northeast would grow less than with the commuter parkway. On the other hand, the commuter parkway will enhance the growth in the northeast. It's a really interesting topic because its really difficult to quantify all the variables.
Yes they are considering Diverging Diamond Interchange along with SPUI, but are not likely to go ahead with reconfiguring until after the effects of a north perimeter road are known.

http://saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Infr...riveStudy.aspx

As for induced demand, why would the city want to develop Blairmore (west sector) more than University heights (northeast sector)? There is more proceeds from land sales in the NE, and that is where they have chosen to develop there (well, actually both sectors are being developed, just that the NE seems to be in higher demand with residents willing to pay more). Part of that choice means having to plan for infrastructure like the commuter parkway and bridge. In case you haven't noticed it, "induced demand" as you define it with regards to infrastructure, is the main tool this city uses to plan for growth.

They could choose to not expand the capacity of arterial roadways to keep up with the population growth, resulting in lower quality of working life as well as future growth. Or more likely, if a counselor chose not to cater to voter demand, they would simply lose their job to another candidate that would.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 4:59 PM
sharpie sharpie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Yes they are considering Diverging Diamond Interchange along with SPUI, but are not likely to go ahead with reconfiguring until after the effects of a north perimeter road are known.

http://saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/Infr...riveStudy.aspx

As for induced demand, why would the city want to develop Blairmore (west sector) more than University heights (northeast sector)? There is more proceeds from land sales in the NE, and that is where they have chosen to develop there (well, actually both sectors are being developed, just that the NE seems to be in higher demand with residents willing to pay more). Part of that choice means having to plan for infrastructure like the commuter parkway and bridge. In case you haven't noticed it, "induced demand" as you define it with regards to infrastructure, is the main tool this city uses to plan for growth.

They could choose to not expand the capacity of arterial roadways to keep up with the population growth, resulting in lower quality of working life as well as future growth. Or more likely, if a counselor chose not to cater to voter demand, they would simply lose their job to another candidate that would.
Happy new year everyone

Interesting report, thanks for sharing the link.

I think you missed my point, I wasn't advocating for development t patterns to change, only highlighting how providing infrastructure can promote development and the the traffic that will use it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 10:12 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
Saskatoon Mayor warns developer to get moving on overpass

Atchison says city could be forced to get involved

Reported by François Biber, NewsTalk 650 CKOM

Jan 6-7, 2015


Delays for a new Stonebridge access is lighting a fire under Saskatoon Mayor Don Atchison.

On John Gormley Live Tuesday, a caller into the show asked Atchison about the delays with the Stonebridge overpass at Victor Road and Highway 11. Atchison responded that the construction of that project rested on the shoulders of the neighbourhood developer Dream Developments.

"The overpass is (Dream's) they were supposed to start on it last year but they haven't," Atchison said. "This is desperately needed on Highway 11."

Atchison reassured listeners that when Dream Development, formerly known as Dundee Developments, built the neighbourhood they were also expected to build an access point connecting Stonebridge to Highway 11.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/saskatoon-mayo...verpass/504896
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 10:47 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,291
Sane politicians? Good to see. Winnipeg just finished paying $70M for some roads and a flyover in the Waverley West development..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 11:58 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
Developer says flyover on track to relieve traffic woes in Stonebridge neighbourhood

By Phil Tank, The StarPhoenix January 7, 2015

The developer responsible for building a project to relieve some of the traffic congestion in Stonebridge says it’s on track to get started this year.

Mayor Don Atchison expressed his frustration on CKOM radio Tuesday with the lack of progress on the flyover project to connect Victor Road in Stonebridge to Highway 11 southbound and northbound.

A City of Saskatoon timeline on the southern neighbourhood’s development from Nov. 29, 2013, says flyover construction was supposed to start in 2014 with completion expected in 2015.

David Luczka, general manager of Saskatoon land for Dream Development (formerly Dundee), said he expects construction to start this spring, but could not guarantee it would be completed during the 2015 construction season.

“The plans are done and we’re looking to start construction first thing this spring,” Luczka said in an interview Wednesday.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...655/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:47 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,436
And this my friends is why the 71st Street "at-grade" crossing needs to go.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ideo-1.2892748

I did this almost a year ago now.

Had a little more fun with the North end of Saskatoon Fixes. Looking at the 10 most wanted interchanges I saw Marquis and Idylwyld is on for 2015 (better get started quick!)

Anyway here is the design I have come up with.



Notes on the Design:

- 71st not allowed to directly access either Hwy 11 or 16
- 60th Street eliminate direct access to Hwy 11
- Direct all Industrial / Commercial traffic to Marquis and Beam Road
- Add loop at Hwy 16 and Marquis for egress from CUC (Sask Place)
- Closing 60th street for exit from CUC increases traffic speed along Idylwlyd Freeway allowing faster evacuation of CUC.
- Closing grade crossing increases safety and allows for speed limit increase to 100-110km/h allowing for faster evacuation of traffic.
- Recently upgraded Marquis Dr. permits more travel east before turning south.
- Similar upgrade to Beam Rd to Dalmany Rd increases egress of event / industrial space around CUC / Marquis Industrial.
- Install traffic lights at Marquis and Thatcher Ave, as well as, Bill Hunter Ave. to better control vehicle turns during large events.
- Upgrades / Overpasses in this area reduces need for Police attention, allowing them to focus on other area's of the city.

Estimated Cost to upgrade current infrastructure and build two new interchanges between $80-100M.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:01 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Developer says flyover on track to relieve traffic woes in Stonebridge neighbourhood

By Phil Tank, The StarPhoenix January 7, 2015

The developer responsible for building a project to relieve some of the traffic congestion in Stonebridge says it’s on track to get started this year.

Mayor Don Atchison expressed his frustration on CKOM radio Tuesday with the lack of progress on the flyover project to connect Victor Road in Stonebridge to Highway 11 southbound and northbound.

A City of Saskatoon timeline on the southern neighbourhood’s development from Nov. 29, 2013, says flyover construction was supposed to start in 2014 with completion expected in 2015.

David Luczka, general manager of Saskatoon land for Dream Development (formerly Dundee), said he expects construction to start this spring, but could not guarantee it would be completed during the 2015 construction season.

“The plans are done and we’re looking to start construction first thing this spring,” Luczka said in an interview Wednesday.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...655/story.html
Great news that it is starting... Bad news is it was late coming. It will be interesting that at some point it might connect up to Greenbryre Cres N or connect to Melville street. Then that whole area can start to boom. But it would also make Victor road a busy street to get to the shops on Preston and Clarence.

Time will tell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,436
Rosewood Addendum:

http://saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/City...nAmendment.pdf

New Proposed Interchange at Zimmerman Road: (To be built as an "at-grade" for the interim)

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:10 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
Stonebridge & Highway 11 Interchange Inches Forward

Written by Mitchell Wrishko, saskatoonhomepage.ca
10 February 2015


A Southbound exit onto Highway 11 from Stonebridge is still a possibility after the city's Standing Committee on Transportation asked city administration to speak with the company issuing the tender, to consider including the item as part of the new interchange being built in between the two.

Mayor Don Atchison says if the idea is included as part of a descoping ladder then that's fine, but the bottom line is the interchange as a whole has to be done in 2015 as promised.

If the exit was included it would add $3.7 million onto the project and would push the completion date to 2016.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/ston...ward/itemid_21
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 1:43 AM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
Stonebridge interchange delayed until Fall 2016

Resident Peter Voldeng says he's disappointed but at least it's moving forward

Reported by 650 News Talk Radio staff

Feb 10, 2015


Traffic issues in Saskatoon's Stonebridge neighbourhood will be lasting at least one year longer.

At a meeting of city council's Standing Policy Committee on Transportation Tuesday morning, manager of long range planning for the City of Saskatoon Don Cook said a new interchange will not be completed until Fall 2016.

"We believed construction was available to start in 2014 completed in 2015," Cook said.

Final cost estimates were prepared after the initial talks about the interchange and there was not enough funding allocated to proceed. At the committee meeting Tuesday, councillors were told that it would proceed again upon approval of those additional funds. The committee voted in favour of spending an additional $1.9 million on the interchange project connected to Highway 11. That brings the cost of the project to $19 million with almost half paid for by Dream Development, the company in charge of developing Stonebridge.

Stonebridge resident Peter Voldeng said the delay will not go over well.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/stonebridge-in...ll-2016/534592
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 2:53 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Stonebridge interchange delayed until Fall 2016

Resident Peter Voldeng says he's disappointed but at least it's moving forward

Reported by 650 News Talk Radio staff

Feb 10, 2015


Traffic issues in Saskatoon's Stonebridge neighbourhood will be lasting at least one year longer.

At a meeting of city council's Standing Policy Committee on Transportation Tuesday morning, manager of long range planning for the City of Saskatoon Don Cook said a new interchange will not be completed until Fall 2016.

"We believed construction was available to start in 2014 completed in 2015," Cook said.

Final cost estimates were prepared after the initial talks about the interchange and there was not enough funding allocated to proceed. At the committee meeting Tuesday, councillors were told that it would proceed again upon approval of those additional funds. The committee voted in favour of spending an additional $1.9 million on the interchange project connected to Highway 11. That brings the cost of the project to $19 million with almost half paid for by Dream Development, the company in charge of developing Stonebridge.

Stonebridge resident Peter Voldeng said the delay will not go over well.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/stonebridge-in...ll-2016/534592
At this point they might as well forget about the "staged" construction and just build all 4 on-off ramps in one go. That way it will be done and done properly the first time.

I wonder if they will extend a road east from the interchange to the west end of Greenbryre? I assume at some point this will be the plan?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:42 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
West Connector Project Falls Through

Written by Mitchell Wrishko, saskatoonhomepage.ca

Thursday, 12 February 2015


With oil prices low and falling causing a stress on the government revenues, they pulled their portion of funding for the West Connector Route which would have seen a roadway constructed from Highway 11 to Highway 16 around Saskatoon, so trucks wouldn't have to navigate through the city.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/west...ugh-/itemid_21
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 7:04 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
'Shovels in the ground this year' for interchange

Work was supposed to start in 2014

By Andrea Hill, The Starphoenix, February 24, 2015

Construction of a new Stonebridge interchange at Highway 11 will begin this year, but the final product will not have a southbound ramp when it opens in 2016.

Work on the interchange was supposed to have started in 2014, and finished this year. However, construction never happened because insufficient funding was allocated for the project. Council rectified that on Monday, approving an additional $1.9 million for the interchange so work on the project can begin this year with expected completion in late 2016. An almost equal amount will be covered by Stonebridge developer Dream Asset Management, bringing the project's total price tag to $19 million.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...085/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 3:21 AM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
PHOTOS: Highways planning overpasses for Warman, Martensville

Multi-million dollar projects expected to break ground this fall, 2018 completion

Reported by François Biber, NewsTalk 650 CKOM

May 12, 2015


Highway overpasses for Martensville and Warman are coming down and the provincial ministry of highways is seeking public input on what design makes the most sense for each community.

On Monday, the ministry hosted the first of two public open houses, showcasing various designs for overpasses on Highway 12 at Martensville and on Highway 11 with access to Warman.

Residents from both communities unanimously agreed that the two fastest growing cities in Saskatchewan need these interchanges as soon as possible as just simply driving out of the respective cities to get onto the highway could take as long as 20 minutes during peak times.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/photos-highway...nsville/554384
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 2:17 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
PHOTOS: Highways planning overpasses for Warman, Martensville

Multi-million dollar projects expected to break ground this fall, 2018 completion

Reported by François Biber, NewsTalk 650 CKOM

May 12, 2015


Highway overpasses for Martensville and Warman are coming down and the provincial ministry of highways is seeking public input on what design makes the most sense for each community.

On Monday, the ministry hosted the first of two public open houses, showcasing various designs for overpasses on Highway 12 at Martensville and on Highway 11 with access to Warman.

Residents from both communities unanimously agreed that the two fastest growing cities in Saskatchewan need these interchanges as soon as possible as just simply driving out of the respective cities to get onto the highway could take as long as 20 minutes during peak times.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/photos-highway...nsville/554384
WOW those are desperatly needed! Good to see them doing this!

However, the city of Saskatoon needs to step up and do Marquis and Highways 11/16! And close 71st at Highways 11/16.

Direct Link to Highways Site for PDFs

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/Hwy11_12overpasses
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted May 21, 2015, 9:23 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
Work Begins on Highway 11 & Stonebridge Interchange

Written by Mitchell Wrishko, saskatoonhomepage.ca

Tuesday, 19 May 2015


Dream Development in conjunction with the City of Saskatoon have begun construction of the Stonebridge and Highway 11 Interchange at Victor Road in Stonebridge.

The project is expected to be complete in fall of 2016, weather permitting and barring any unforeseen circumstances.

The partial interchange at Victor Road and Highway 11 will complete the major access points to the Stonebridge neighbourhood and further improve traffic conditions at Clarence Avenue and Preston Avenue.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/work...ange/itemid_21
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:37 PM
North_Regina_Boy North_Regina_Boy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Regina, SK (formerly Saskatoon)
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Work Begins on Highway 11 & Stonebridge Interchange

Written by Mitchell Wrishko, saskatoonhomepage.ca

Tuesday, 19 May 2015


Dream Development in conjunction with the City of Saskatoon have begun construction of the Stonebridge and Highway 11 Interchange at Victor Road in Stonebridge.

The project is expected to be complete in fall of 2016, weather permitting and barring any unforeseen circumstances.

The partial interchange at Victor Road and Highway 11 will complete the major access points to the Stonebridge neighbourhood and further improve traffic conditions at Clarence Avenue and Preston Avenue.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/work...ange/itemid_21
The interesting thing here is the Cloverleaf NB-WB loop interacting with the traffic coming off the EB-NB loop. That is going to be getting a little iffy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 5:13 PM
The S'toon Goon The S'toon Goon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 197
I think that road crews are working on adding a west bound lane on Attridge between Central and Circle. The light posts have been moved to the center median. It seems like a logical move and it'll make it easier for south bound traffic on Central wishing to turn onto Attridge as they will have their own lane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 10:11 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 772
Martensville and Warman overpasses one step closer to completion

The StarPhoenix, September 18, 2015

Two major overpass projects designed to relieve congestion for Saskatoon’s bedroom communities are one step closer to breaking ground.

The provincial government this week issued requests for qualifications (RFQ) for overpasses proposed for Highway 12 and Main Street in Martensville and Highways 11 and 305 near Warman, according to a press release from the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure. The RFQs will generate a short list of three proponents, who will then move to the request for proposal (RFP) stage of the project planned for late 2015, the government said.

“The two overpasses will improve safety and alleviate congestion in the growing communities of Martensville and Warman,” Highways and Infrastructure Minister Nancy Heppner said in a statement.


[........]

Read more:
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...505/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:30 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.