HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:32 PM

I really hope the Siloam render had the bottom cut off as it looks like the bottom level of windows are essentially window wells for the below grade level.

Also aesthetics of the building design aside would it really have cost that much more to spring for some red brick to match the existing building so it looked more like the single facility it will be? Or perhaps Siloam Mission is trying to distance its corporate office from looking like a homeless shelter...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:02 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

The contrasting look isn't bad for Siloam's addition. It breaks it up and prevents it from looking too much like a giant monolith. Besides, it's easier to build something that compliments the existing building as opposed to trying to match what's already there... the height difference alone means that it wouldn't be a perfect match.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:12 PM

Calgary's version is an example of what to do. This one? no.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Those living/ moving to East St. Paul want all the benefits Winnipeg has to offer without any of the obligations the sweetheart deal that residents of E. St. Paul got for some city services really doesn’t benefit Winnipeg. The municipality saves it’s residents on their municipal taxes by not having to pay fire fighter salaries and benefits, contracting out policing to the RCMP and keeping services to a minimum and keeping the municipality in a semi rural state in terms of infrastructure.
Really?

It bothers you that people want to live in East St Paul and work in Winnipeg, as if Winnipeg is doing them this grand favour?

I've never seen a TO resident spit at someone living in Mississauga for the same thing. We all move to where we can or want, and we try to work where we can/want. Doesn't always line up the same and since we can always respect the individual for making the most out of their lives, it should hardly becoming a pissing match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
How does more people living in East St. Paul and travelling on city roadways like Henderson Highway benefit Winnipeg residents again?
Lots of hard working and successful people live in East St Paul. And it's everyone's choice, why should everything have to be a leveraged benefit?

Although Henderson is in crap condition, it handles thousands upon thousands of cars a day. Some more people doesn't hurt at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Winnipeg has less of this "problem" than almost any large city in North America. If having a very large percentage of your population inside the core municipality were some sort of advantage, post-Unicity Winnipeg should be evincing that advantage in a pretty spectacular way by now.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ New homes outside of Winnipeg are generally cheaper on a PSF basis, same as anywhere else in Canada. That's the main draw. Just look at what the same price point buys you in West St. Paul or La Salle or wherever vs. what it buys in the city.

I bought a home in Winnipeg last year and there is no question I could have had more home for the same money out in a semi-rural area, but I just wasn't interested in that lifestyle.
Well, ESP has the highest development fees, so that has hurt them. Paying that fee money to keep the neighbourhood... the same?

EDIT: Didn't realize I was a week behind on all this.

My final point:

Why would anyone actually care?

Seriously? We're all Canadians living in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:05 PM

Empress Street between Sargent and Wellington is "closed for building construction". What's being built that's so big and complicated that necessitates closing off the entire street for a week??

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Empress Street between Sargent and Wellington is "closed for building construction". What's being built that's so big and complicated that necessitates closing off the entire street for a week??
the strip mall (Richard Burr fitness, a painters office, collector card store) has a parking lot that hovers over the Creek, it's all been torn out and being replaced.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:42 AM

There was a crane lifting out chunks of concrete from the parking pad this afternoon as I went down Empress forgetting it was closed.

It's too bad that a strip mall was allowed there with a parking lot over the creek. I am sure that would not be allowed now.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 3:44 AM
surely you agree with me

It’s pretty crazy to see a tower crane building that condo going up beside the Rady Centre.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It’s pretty crazy to see a tower crane building that condo going up beside the Rady Centre.
?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:25 AM

East and West St Paul

Last time I'm posting on this , Wolf13 it bothers me that East and West St. Paul people commute to Winnipeg and use our roads but mostly because they claim rural lifestyle BUT gimme a break , my buddy in east St. Paul is on a street just like mine with a little bit bigger yards , that's not rural , and those people should be thankful for Winnipeg , because without it they woukdnt HAVE THEIR JOB to buy their house in "rural area " and commute in !! Rural lifestyle is living in the bush somewhere with gravel roads for the most part , not on a street with houses like the city !

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the strip mall (Richard Burr fitness, a painters office, collector card store) has a parking lot that hovers over the Creek, it's all been torn out and being replaced.
Thanks! That strip mall and its hovering/cantilevered parking structure are sure an oddity for Winnipeg.. to think the land around there is valuable enough to construct and maintain parking over a creek for all this time! I was amazed to see catfish in that same creek when I last strolled along its banks. Nature is certainly resilient.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:10 PM

Not sure how this one has gone unnoticed but the residential tower being built on Winnipeg Square has been under construction for quite sometime now. They have done major restructuring in the food court and installed a different HVAC unit. About half the mall is closed down too seemingly to accommodate the work. There are also signs up that one business located opposite Shoppers in what was previously reported as an elevator shaft location is being moved. There is also the mall entrance near the lottery kiosk that has basically been cleared out of tenants. Not sure why as it is seemingly far away from the construction site but one retailer was relocated and the drywall hoarding was modified again recently so its more than just covering over vacant spaces.

I am sure there are other details I have missed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Not sure how this one has gone unnoticed but the residential tower being built on Winnipeg Square has been under construction for quite sometime now. They have done major restructuring in the food court and installed a different HVAC unit. About half the mall is closed down too seemingly to accommodate the work. There are also signs up that one business located opposite Shoppers in what was previously reported as an elevator shaft location is being moved. There is also the mall entrance near the lottery kiosk that has basically been cleared out of tenants. Not sure why as it is seemingly far away from the construction site but one retailer was relocated and the drywall hoarding was modified again recently so its more than just covering over vacant spaces.

been mentioned few times that theres work going on side for this

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:

The space that used to be the gift store across from Cookies by George is becoming a TD bank branch. Just this week they actually pushed the wall further out to accommodate construction. Not sure what is going in where the hair salon was, but they gutted that location pretty quick.

The only restructuring in the food court has been from the HVAC upgrades which took place over the winter which required certain food vendors to close on a rotating basis. The cobbler is moving further down the mall to open that block for elevator shaft installation. Not sure what will happen to Vinh Long though - if they'll relocate or shutter.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:10 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
The space that used to be the gift store across from Cookies by George is becoming a TD bank branch. Just this week they actually pushed the wall further out to accommodate construction. Not sure what is going in where the hair salon was, but they gutted that location pretty quick.
So yet another vacancy for 201 Portage? I doubt they'd have two TD branches 100 metres apart.

I suppose it's possible that they could have another use for that space lined up, but TD left their space right on the P&M concourse like 15 years ago and it's still vacant... not really any cause for optimism there.

It's funny how that building went from being the most prestigious corporate address in Winnipeg to deadsville in the span of a decade.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:

HUB Insurance is moving out of their current location to where the Rogers Dealer was (across from Stone Fire'd Pizza)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
So yet another vacancy for 201 Portage? I doubt they'd have two TD branches 100 metres apart.

I suppose it's possible that they could have another use for that space lined up, but TD left their space right on the P&M concourse like 15 years ago and it's still vacant... not really any cause for optimism there.

It's funny how that building went from being the most prestigious corporate address in Winnipeg to deadsville in the span of a decade.
I assume it's a bit awkward having a TD branch in a building with the RBC logo on it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Probably one of the few scenarios where the phase "keeping up with the Jones's" really should apply. If you don't you loose tenants.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 7:59 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ At the rate things are going in there, I half-expect to see a weekend flea market opening up on the 23rd floor.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 8:57 PM

I may have asked this before but does anyone know whats going on with the Parker Lands Project? I thought it would be done in court by now and they could get shovels in the ground soon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan