HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 7:19 PM
Pedestrian's Avatar
Pedestrian Pedestrian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblcut3 View Post
I plan to do all of Greenland - I'm just a bit lazy and busy currently lol. I'll add more projects to the list soon.
What drives the economy? It looks like they are having a building boom but what industries are behind it? Extraction (mining etc)? Fishing? Tech?

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jan 27, 2018 at 7:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 8:24 PM
Dblcut3 Dblcut3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
What drives the economy? It looks like they are having a building boom but what industries are behind it? Extraction (mining etc)? Fishing? Tech?
As far as I know, mining. Nuuk itself is getting a big boom though because there is a lot of Danish investment/jobs there. So, the city is gaining almost a thousand new residents a year, most from other cities in Greenland. That creates a huge need for development there. As for southern Greenland and other places, huge investments in the mining sector are coming in. The Qaqortoq area is getting a new airport - the main reason is to help the uranium mining operations that are popping up in the area. Tourism also generates a lot of money for Greenland. And as you said, fishing has been and continues to be a huge industry for Greenland.

EDIT: I'd say another reason why Greenland is pushing for so much development is because they hope to gain self-sufficiency and independence in the future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:40 AM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,040
I'd one day love to retire to Southern Greenland especially as the earth warms and Greenland melts... The island will only get warmer and more inhabitable again...

The new airport projects will also open up access and allow for more direct European and American flights again with the possibility of making Greenlandair the new Icelandair with a huge secondary market of transferring people mid-way to their destination like Keflavik is famous for now...

I'm more curious to know what will happen to Narsarsuaq and Kangerlussuaq the two cast off airport former US WWII Air Force bases that are now the primary airports for the nation. They are to be closed once Qaqortoq and Nuuk 2.0 open but I could see companies using these airports for a variety of different things...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:18 PM
Dblcut3 Dblcut3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
I'd one day love to retire to Southern Greenland especially as the earth warms and Greenland melts... The island will only get warmer and more inhabitable again...

The new airport projects will also open up access and allow for more direct European and American flights again with the possibility of making Greenlandair the new Icelandair with a huge secondary market of transferring people mid-way to their destination like Keflavik is famous for now...

I'm more curious to know what will happen to Narsarsuaq and Kangerlussuaq the two cast off airport former US WWII Air Force bases that are now the primary airports for the nation. They are to be closed once Qaqortoq and Nuuk 2.0 open but I could see companies using these airports for a variety of different things...
The old airports will likely remain open but massively downsized. Kangerlussuaq still has some science related jobs there that will stay - it also has a road to the ice cap which I'm sure will continue to bring in tourists. As for Narsarsuaq, I'm not sure. I suppose it will stay open but most residents there aren't even Greenlandic as far as I know, and I'm not sure how many of the Greenlanders there are even native to Narsarsuaq. I imagine it will stay somewhat populated but only by a small group of Greenlanders who have always lived in the village.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:24 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 17,971
Look out New York, here comes Nuuk! :-/

Looking at its location on a map I'm wondering why this city ended up being the biggest one? There are some cities farther south - which, presumably, would be a bit balmier - than this one.

But maybe it's just one of those things that happened for random reasons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 9:02 PM
Dblcut3 Dblcut3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Look out New York, here comes Nuuk! :-/

Looking at its location on a map I'm wondering why this city ended up being the biggest one? There are some cities farther south - which, presumably, would be a bit balmier - than this one.

But maybe it's just one of those things that happened for random reasons.
Fun fact: A popular nickname for Nuuk in Greenland is "Nuuk York City" because like New York, Greenlanders are flocking to Nuuk looking for opportunities in the "big city."

And yes, south Greenland is much warmer and more hospitable - but the Nuuk area comes in a close second place. The Norse settled both the south (near present day Qaqortoq) and the Nuuk area because they were the mildest most hospitable regions. And the climate difference between Nuuk and southern Greenland isn't really enough to make a big difference as far as I know. Nuuk sort of just grew out of a Danish missionary and military settlement that was established in the 1700s.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:20 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 17,971
I see. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.