HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:24 PM
All man. Half nuts.

bronco stadium SEZ bleachers:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 9:23 PM

Bronco stadium renderings

I found this older blog and thought some of you would enjoy some of the stadium renderings that are posted.

Here are a few of them posted on the broncostadium.blogspot.com by AlohaORBF using some photos taken by Idaho airships, Inc. :

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 9:37 PM

Bronco stadium renderings

Here is another one posted on broncostadium.blogspot.com by AlohaORBF. :

* For some reason I wasn't able to post many of them, but there are some pretty cool ideas for other stadium concepts on the site you should check out if you like this one.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 1:49 PM
All man. Half nuts.

an update on the new boise hawks stadium, which is to say, there's not really an update on the new hawks stadium.

from ktvb:

Quote:
For nearly a year, the management behind the Hawks has been rallying for support to build a new multi-sports stadium, but as the season starts there are still no concrete plans.

Memorial Stadium, located in Garden City was built in 1989, and has seen little improvements over the years. The fans have even expressed wanting more from the facility, placing more pressure on the Hawks to either remodel or start new.

Monday, workers at the facility were fixing seats, painting and watering the field as the opening day approaches. They want to make sure everything is perfect for the summer season.

“We don't have a video scoreboard.”

That is just one of the reasons, according to Boise Hawks General Manager Todd Rahr, that the facility is outdated.

The seats have never been replaced, the parking lot doesn’t have nighttime lights, and those seated behind first base, sit under the sun for hours during the game.

Rahr said those are just a handful of examples that make the outdated stadium a point of contention for their major league affiliate the Chicago Cubs.

The Cubs have made it clear they will leave Boise behind, if something doesn’t change. Right now the options are either to renovate the current Memorial Stadium to the tune of about $13 million or build a new downtown stadium for roughly $25 million.

If the Hawks opt to renovate their current stadium it will come out of their own pockets, something that financially Rahr said is not easy to do. However if they build a new stadium, complete with soccer and football compatible fields, the Hawks will need money from the community.

“We feel it's not just the Cubs that want a better facility it's going to be any major league team that comes in here that is going to want a better facility,” said Rahr.

Other minor league teams around the country, which play with Boise in the Northwest league, have facilities that Rahr believes are superior to Memorial Stadium. Even after months of serious talk, Rahr still says the future of the stadium is still murky.

“The weakness right now in my mind is just an overall plan,” he said.

This spring Hawks administrators as well as the Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce, and a number of others, held a press conference in front of Boise city and business leaders trying to start conversations.

Rahr said through this baseball season and by the end of the year, his goal is to have a more defined plan in place that he can present again to the community. He says this will take a team of stakeholders.

“We aren’t looking to get rich off this stadium this one or another one, we are looking for enough money to put back into the project, into the community and make it better for the lives of the people that live here,” said Rahr.

As another season starts up for the Hawks the program stays committed and focused on playing ball but to date, future plans for a competitive facility remain out in left field.

“Every year you still have a season to put on you still have fans to entertain you still have a ball club that you have to put out on the field and develop for the Cubs and so what we have been doing on a day to day basis is no different than what we have been doing for the last 25 years,” said Rahr.

The city of Boise has expressed interest in helping relocate the Boise Hawks stadium. They own land near the connector that would put the stadium in an ideal location, downtown, but recently there has been no action.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 12:20 AM

This really sucks for the Hawks. They have been stuck in that s-hole since the beginning of time!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:35 AM

Are the Cubs still threatening to end their affiliation with the hawks if the Hawks don't get a new stadium?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasureValley View Post
Are the Cubs still threatening to end their affiliation with the hawks if the Hawks don't get a new stadium?
yes.

doesn't look good.

but it might be a good thing. boise is far too large for a short-season rookie league team. hell, the cubs triple-A team is in a city smaller than boise.

many boiseans are from larger cities who demand a higher level of entertainment. this is a triple-A town for sure; maybe if the cubs leave, we can get one to move here... IF we can get a new ballpark that the city and team deserve.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
yes.

doesn't look good.

but it might be a good thing. boise is far too large for a short-season rookie league team. hell, the cubs triple-A team is in a city smaller than boise.

many boiseans are from larger cities who demand a higher level of entertainment. this is a triple-A town for sure; maybe if the cubs leave, we can get one to move here... IF we can get a new ballpark that the city and team deserve.
Would a triple A team fair any better than the hawks though? And would we still get a new stadium?
You might be right, but it seems like quite the bet though. It would suck if we ended up losinga sport In boise because of this whole affair.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:58 PM

I'd agree with Boisebro. I used to love going to the Hawks when I was younger. Now, I have a craving for a little higher end of competition. It especially doesn't help when we have all been spoiled by the limelight of the Broncos.

Boise needs a nice ballpark and to be put in more competitive league. Look back East. There are cities comparable to Boise who have amazing ballparks for their teams. The one catch to me is I think the Eastern seaboard of America is a little bit more partial to baseball than out West.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
I'd agree with Boisebro. I used to love going to the Hawks when I was younger. Now, I have a craving for a little higher end of competition. It especially doesn't help when we have all been spoiled by the limelight of the Broncos.
I agree as well. If the games were more competitive then my little brothers little league games I'd be more inclined to go and watch them. Not to mention I'm not a fan of the stadium or it's location.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 1:14 AM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBMW View Post
I agree as well. If the games were more competitive then my little brothers little league games I'd be more inclined to go and watch them. Not to mention I'm not a fan of the stadium or it's location.
have you noticed how much the hawks have struggled during our Cubs affiliation?

the hawks should be connected to a west-coast team, like the giants or mariners, not a midwest francise best known for a goat and a 105-year tradition of mediocrity.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 1:47 AM

Speaking of the new Hawks stadium I was lurking about the internet and stumbled on a conversation about it where they brought up Reno and how they built a stadium downtown for their baseball team and it ended up working pretty well. The team's attendance soared and it looks nice too.

(and an article detailing the success)

But Boise is bigger than Reno. Maybe we should let the Hawks and their affiliation die away and wait for something better. As much as I want a downtown stadium I guess I'd rather hold out for something bigger and better.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:07 AM

See now that is a damn nice stadium. Perfect for Boise and the potential market it could hold. I would definitely take more notice!

I'm jealous Reno!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 11:04 AM

Am I the only one disappointed by the new seats at Bronco Stadium? I thought they were going to be something a little more substantial in nature than metal bleachers...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkerguy View Post
Am I the only one disappointed by the new seats at Bronco Stadium? I thought they were going to be something a little more substantial in nature than metal bleachers...
I'm with you on that Trekkerguy, I thought they were going to enclose that area with concrete on the second level and turn the stadium into a horseshoe.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I'm with you on that Trekkerguy, I thought they were going to enclose that area with concrete on the second level and turn the stadium into a horseshoe.
I think those new seats are only supposed to be temporary. The metal bleachers were a cheap, fast way to get more butts in the stadium and more ticket revenue until the time comes they can expand more permanently.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 6:15 AM

EVERYTHING at the stadium is temporary. They are doing the best they can with limited money but the main goal is to build a permanent structure on top of the new football facility and go from there.

The south end zone will eventually be much nicer but the bleachers are for a while until funding becomes available. For those that don't know, the move to the Big East will provide a substantial increase in money that can be used for these purposes.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:43 PM
All man. Half nuts.

the summer scrimmage took place this weekend. the SEZ was packed, and got rave reviews from fans.

btw: the broncos won. and lost.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 10:02 AM

I'm sure they're much better than what was there, just look really tacky and leaves the stadium still looking incomplete.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 7:12 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Chicago Cubs, Boise Hawks renew affiliation agreement

September 12th, 2012

Read More: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...agreement.html

Quote:
The Chicago Cubs and Boise Hawks have agreed to a two-year extension of their player development contract, the Idaho Statesman has learned. The Hawks have been a short-season Class A affiliate with Chicago since 2001.

The Hawks are expected to make an official announcement Wednesday afternoon.

Negotiations took place throughout the summer. The Cubs had been unhappy with the conditions at Memorial Stadium and threatened to leave Boise if progress wasn't made on work toward a new stadium or upgrades at Memorial Stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West