HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 4:47 PM

2400 South

Was in a taxi last night and drove by 2400 South, the site is fenced off and they've started doing demo work on the existing site. I'll leave it up to everyone else to debate the pros/cons of a Toll Bros development, but I for one will be very glad to see that eyesore of a parking garage gone! Sorry I couldn't get pics, no time to pull out the phone as we were driving by.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:36 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Digging and equipment have started at 12th and Arch. Its all torn up with some big machines around.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
Paseo Verde is being built on a parking lot used by PGW employees.

The developer closed on the land and the parking lot has been shut down.

I'm told they will close on financing within a week or two and within 6 months we will see shovels in the ground.
Update:

Developer closed on financing around January 20th.

Sidewalks on 9th St. closed off last week with fencing.

Construction headquarters trailer installed on 9th St. near Norris last week.

Construction equipment working on the lot today.

Other Temple projects:

* Wanamaker School: After demolition and site prep were finished, the project ground to a halt.

* Parking garage with retail (11th & Berks): No actual construction, but activity on site almost daily.

* Diamond Green (10th & Diamond): Full steam ahead. Some sort of concrete footers or foundations in place. Very active construction site.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfood View Post
Update:

Developer closed on financing around January 20th.

Sidewalks on 9th St. closed off last week with fencing.

Construction headquarters trailer installed on 9th St. near Norris last week.

Construction equipment working on the lot today.

Other Temple projects:

* Wanamaker School: After demolition and site prep were finished, the project ground to a halt.

* Parking garage with retail (11th & Berks): No actual construction, but activity on site almost daily.

* Diamond Green (10th & Diamond): Full steam ahead. Some sort of concrete footers or foundations in place. Very active construction site.
Thanks for the updates! I believe the Wanamaker project is still being designed since the original plans called for redevelopment of the school but it had to be torn down.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 2:49 AM

Brandywine Lofts

The conversion of the former School of Rock at 1508-06 Brandywine Street into apartments is currently underway and renderings have been released. I think that the rendering looks nice and will really make this block look cleaner and more friendly.
From this:

To this:

Source: nakedphilly.com - http://nakedphilly.com/spring-garden...ndywine-lofts/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Digging and equipment have started at 12th and Arch. Its all torn up with some big machines around.
Yup:

Not much yet, but it's starting to happen at least.

And just down the street:

That parking garage is progressing. It's not at ground level yet, but it is getting close by the looks of it.

And a bonus pic of Dilworth Plaza:

All photos by me from yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 7:35 PM

Speaking of parking garages there is an excavator working at the new Temple Garage in 12th today.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 7:58 PM

Nice glad to see the garage is moving a long. Hopefully the Wanamaker site gets moving soon. Nice to see the Home2suites moving along as well. Dilworth Plaza will be amazing when finished.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 11:49 AM

I hate posts like this

I disapprove of posts like this one I'm about to post because it doesn't move the thread forward in any useful way for anyone except myself, perhaps, but I have a serious question for Summ or others who feel as she/he does. Summ notes that Dilworth Plaza will be 'amazing' when it is finished. I have looked at the renderings a dozen times and, frankly, I just don't get it. What we had was an interesting and diverse, multi-planed urban park that might have been grand with some plantings, fountains, and a good power wash. What we're getting is what appears to be a football field that is bound to get scrubby looking. I want to be excited about this. It's happening, and it's costing a boatload of money. Please help me understand your excitement so that I can join in the fun. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:57 PM

I walked by the Waka Flocka Flame center this morning. it's just about complete and they are getting ready for what I assume is the grand opening.

Here are some photos:

Eh, not as bad as I thought it would be.

But then again...

Oh well, I can't really complain about new office construction in Center City. In the end, it's not a bad building and it will bring more vibrancy in the form of daytime jobs to the city.

Just down the street the Pen medical tower (Wooh Da Kid center?) is still not looking like much:

You cans see where they tore two rectangular openings in the North and East walls for new entrances, but I'm not seeing much going on on the roof just yet. They do appear to be digging a bit inside (gah! forgot to rotate it!)

(photos by me from this morning)
(Cross posted on main Philadelphia development thread)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
I disapprove of posts like this one I'm about to post because it doesn't move the thread forward in any useful way for anyone except myself, perhaps, but I have a serious question for Summ or others who feel as she/he does. Summ notes that Dilworth Plaza will be 'amazing' when it is finished. I have looked at the renderings a dozen times and, frankly, I just don't get it. What we had was an interesting and diverse, multi-planed urban park that might have been grand with some plantings, fountains, and a good power wash. What we're getting is what appears to be a football field that is bound to get scrubby looking. I want to be excited about this. It's happening, and it's costing a boatload of money. Please help me understand your excitement so that I can join in the fun. Thanks.
I don't care for the grass field myself, but it is merely a summertime "cap" to cover an ice skating rink. Yes you heard me correctly, lol. There will also be a cafe space on the plaza and easier access to the subway below. They are also greening up the plaza which needs to be done. I'm excited about the modernization of it. It's becoming more pedestrian friendly instead of just a plaza people walk through to get to City Hall or the subway. That's why I'm excited because it will draw in pedestrians and keep the bums away same attempt is being made in Logan Square with the Sister Cities park.

Thanks for the photos Insoluble. Interesting that LF Driscoll Co. is working on the Penn Tower. They are also working on the Temple Residential Tower. I wonder if that is holding up construction on this? They could also be doing some internal work within the parking garage? Interesting to see the sidewalk closed. The 7-11 seems to still be open though, maybe that is what is holding them up.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
I don't even know where to begin, without knowing if you actually liked the design of the old Dilworth Plaza, or if you are against the development due to cost (which many people are). If you feel the former, than you and I just see the world through different colored glasses.

The idea of a multi-level public plaza can actually work well, when the vistas and the grandeur of the sunken plaza serve to enhance the park. A great example of this is Trafalgar Square where the sunken plaza is so large that looking down onto it is incredible. Dilworth's sunken plaza is never used for anything, is awkwardly sized, generates no foot traffic b/c of its uselessness and serves only to sever the park in twain. Ever go to a Phillies rally there? it's so awkward b/c the sunken plaza eliminates any logical gathering point in the entire park. Worse yet, it's ugly and provides no dramatic vistas.

Who doesnt like the lawn? Anyone ever been to Bryant Park? http://www.bryantpark.org/ Really? This is the opportunity here, a large expanse of grass where public gatherings can be held comfortably, people can get sun, sit out on chairs and read, CCD sponsored summer movie night, there will be concerts, shows, events etc. in a logical set up in the most central of locations. They are incorporating a cafe in the layout, cross your fingers for allowing alcohol (imagine grabbing a beer during the summer months with city hall as your back drop) which will further encourage people to spend time here, rather than just pass through. I mean, really shouldn't this be the focal point, the central gathering hub of the city? As it stands now, it's a place to avoid--an epic failure on every level. The addition of the fountain/ice skating rink will provide activities year-round.

The presence of the varied levels of Dilworth serves to isolate and segregate the crowds...the new design imo will encourage interaction and congregation. I'd love to see them adopt more Bryant park features like ping pong, chess, petanque, but one step at a time.

Lastly, the best part is, due to the condition of the arrangement with the city, the CCD will be monitoring, patrolling, and upkeeping the grounds. This means it will be safe, relatively bum-free, clean, and manicured.

The reality is, many of these things could be done without a total overhaul, but i believe creating 1 plane for the entire public plaza is the real key to what is going to be a great public space.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:43 AM

Agreed on almost everypoint Londonee. Dilworth is a dank nasty rat maze of pointless stone obstacles & grade changes, piss, bird shit, and ever perambulating swirling dust devils of trapped garbage. It is, appropriately, I suppose, the perfect surface level analog of the Hironymous Bosch-like transit dungeon writhing beneath it.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post
The conversion of the former School of Rock at 1508-06 Brandywine Street into apartments is currently underway and renderings have been released. I think that the rendering looks nice and will really make this block look cleaner and more friendly.
From this:

To this:

Source: nakedphilly.com - http://nakedphilly.com/spring-garden...ndywine-lofts/
I completely missed this... glad this is going through! Just another project added to the vicinity of North Broad

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 3:46 AM

Some news about this. It got approved by the Zoning Commission today.

http://planphilly.com/pcpc-doesnt-lo...orts-it-anyway

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:38 PM

http://nakedphilly.com/temple/huge-n...h-and-cecil-b/

Article about a HUGE student housing development on 18th and Cecil B.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 8:23 PM
BANNED

12 Floors on Chestnut? Sheesh!

If you are going to all that trouble of getting the manpower and machinery on tiny Chestnut St why not make it worth the hassle. This should be a 30 story project minimum. Unbelievable.

The city had a momentary grasp on what works in the late 80's early 90's height boom but they have lost their way since. These are projects that belong in Conshohocken or Norristown not Center City.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 9:10 PM

It may start a new construction boom on chestnut though. The one being built down the street (2116 Chestnut) will probably be over 400 feet. Be patient, more high towers will be proposed and built. You have to start at a reasonable height though so you don't over saturate the market in the area. Don't forget there are several other residential towers being built in the area or being planned. When more interest comes to the area, higher towers will be built.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:37 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Moved the 12-story Chestnut St. building into this thread. I don't think it counts as high-rise if it is below 15 stories or 200 feet (whichever is shorter).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I walked by the Waka Flocka Flame center this morning...
Insoluble!! I nearly spit out my proverbial milk! Haha, is that what we're calling the new Jeff highrise? So funny.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development