HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:52 PM

Moncton's transit issue may be similar to Fredericton's Transit issue (other than Freddy doesn't even HAVE Sunday service). Unlike other municipalities across Canada apparently, NB Cities have to pay for transit entirely at the municipal level; the province doesn't chip in anything directly for Transit services.

That leads to Moncton, SJ and Freddy being unable to match service levels of similarly sized cities elsewhere.

At least that's the story I've heard in the past.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:20 PM

If it's true, I can already hear the rest of the province screaming "Let Them Pay For Their Buses!!!"

Which is a shame, cuz if the Province would put money into Transit, then Im sure that other cities could use some of that money to install their own transit system (at a smaller scale).

It's probably why a city like Saint-Jerome (the size of the City of Moncton), can afford to have a transit system 7 days a week with Sunday's schedule ending at 10PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And traffic chaos ensues...........

Moncton has aspirations to become a "big city." It had better start thinking that way. We need a better transit system
Given that its a holiday I don't suspect there will be any traffic chaos. There will be barely any cars downtown aside from this event, remembrance day is typically very quiet downtown, especially on a weekday. Downtown has already proven it can handle traffic in a sellout situation even on a Friday night.

I haven't heard a peep about there being any traffic concerns at any events, and also seem to be hearing that very few people are using the bus.

In saying that I agree with you that they should have bus options for days there are events. Especially given the fact that the Moncton mayor makes such a big deal to draw attention to the busses and encouraging people to use them. To me it looks like the event is approaching the "6000" ticket sales number, if it hits that special number does something change? The city was doing free busses after events once it hits that number, but only on days the busses run.

Having the busses available for all events its a worthwhile investment to have additional riders. New riders who find the service inconsistent may stop relying on it all together. It doesn't take long to lose new customers.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:58 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
If it's true, I can already hear the rest of the province screaming "Let Them Pay For Their Buses!!!"
If i'm a resident in SJ i'd rather my provincial tax dollars go towards transit service in Moncton than keeping a rural school with 20 students open in some farflung town. Transit service is key to creating better connections and a more fluid urban area which develops provincial GDP as a whole.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I think provincial monies in support of urban transit services in all three large cities in the province would be a wise investment, especially in support of regional transit (eg SJ - Hampton, Freddy - Oromocto, Moncton - Sackville/Shediac)

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:

I think provincial monies in support of urban transit services in all three large cities in the province would be a wise investment, especially in support of regional transit (eg SJ - Hampton, Freddy - Oromocto, Moncton - Sackville/Shediac)
Talking to some employees of Codiac Transpo there was previously a plan in 2008-2009(I believe) when they planned on purchasing all new Buses that they could have sold the newest old buses to a nearby town, and change the bus schedule to better service the users. I think this is around the same time Shediac was thinking of having Bus routes.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I would take advantage of a commuter bus into Moncton from Salisbury/Petitcodiac. I suppose it depends on how it would line up with existing route schedules in the city though. Just put a parking lot and bus shelter where the now defunct hotel project is by the TCH.

My mother was a user of the Hampton - Saint John Comex bus for a few years. It saved her quite a bit on fuel costs and wear and tear on her vehicle.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 11:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
I would take advantage of a commuter bus into Moncton from Salisbury/Petitcodiac. I suppose it depends on how it would line up with existing route schedules in the city though. Just put a parking lot and bus shelter where the now defunct hotel project is by the TCH.
Indeed - Salisbury and Petitcodiac too, perhaps even Hillsborough - there are scattered subdivisions all along the Hillsborough Road.

I could envisage rural and inter urban commuter services like this being even more popular than some urban routes with low ridership. Many people would appreciate the cost savings in gas for the morning and evening commutes. Such a service would also be popular for students (Shediac - UdeM, Moncton - MTA)

Commuter bus service like this wouldn't even have to be frequent. In most cases, with commuter only routes, a couple of busses in the morning and evening might be sufficient. Services to Sackville and Shediac would have to be more frequent and throughout the day, especially if serving the student population.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If i'm a resident in SJ i'd rather my provincial tax dollars go towards transit service in Moncton than keeping a rural school with 20 students open in some farflung town. Transit service is key to creating better connections and a more fluid urban area which develops provincial GDP as a whole.
Yup, agree with this one.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:04 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Wouldn't you just be adding school buses to bring those kids to a closer flung town?

How about using some of that carbon tax for buses. Assuming they help reduce carbon.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I have it on very good authority that the management of the Avenir Centre keeps an eye on the postings in this thread.

To that end, I have a helpful suggestion........

I was ay the box office at the Avenir Centre late this afternoon to purchase some tickets, and, since it was chilly out, the overhead heating unit in the box office lobby came on several times while I was talking to the ticket agent. The racket from the fan made it very difficult to carry on a conversation with the ticket agent. It might be worthwhile to see if there is some way to control the din. It would make the ticket buying experience a lot more pleasurable and efficient.

Just a thought.........
I was there that same afternoon picking up some tickets and I experienced the exact same thing and asked myself the exact same question while waiting in line.

Another suggestion would be to place a well lit sign above the doors that says "BOX OFFICE".

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Ticketmaster UFC is 100% up to date because the show is planned for a full seating event.

As previously mentioned, the Wildcats game bleacher seats are greyed out (not for sale) maybe because they want the bulk of the folks sitting within the bottom bowl. Perhaps less of a hassle for cleaners. Either way, you can still sit up there if you want once your in.
I may have to back track my words. I've been watching UFC ticket sales almost daily and noticed on Monday, the below red circle bowl seats were pretty much solid blue dots. Tuesday, every second row are now greyed out. There's no way they sold these seats individually in one day.

I suspect SMG greyed them out to force new ticket sales to be spread out with the empty colored seats to make everything appear full on TV.

I have nothing against this at all. I would probably do the same. I'm just shocked and disappointed that the event will not sell out.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Wouldn't you just be adding school buses to bring those kids to a closer flung town?
Mini aside:

Bussing children an extra 15 or 20 minutes is still cheaper than operating a school for two dozen students. There's fewer and fewer every year to bus anyway.

GNB has actually done a pretty good job of lowering the number of schools in the province as enrolment has lessened but more will eventually have to be done. Total enrolment provincewide is down in 2017 to 98K from 112K at the start of 2001.

Nevermind the cheeky comment I could make about needing one English school bus and one French school bus.

------

Back on topic i'm curious to see how Moncton's attendance fares over the year. Obviously a new building is going to have a shiny-new-object effect on turnout but long term with the growth of the Moncton CMA I'm curious how much can actually be sustained attendance-wise. Halifax's numbers are usually equal to equally-large London when the team is good (high 8K). I imagine Moncton falls somewhere in the 5K window, potentially averaging 6K or more if the team is strong.

Last edited by JHikka; Oct 25, 2018 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 11:54 PM

They don’t care about sell outs or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I may have to back track my words. I've been watching UFC ticket sales almost daily and noticed on Monday, the below red circle bowl seats were pretty much solid blue dots. Tuesday, every second row are now greyed out. There's no way they sold these seats individually in one day.

I suspect SMG greyed them out to force new ticket sales to be spread out with the empty colored seats to make everything appear full on TV.

I have nothing against this at all. I would probably do the same. I'm just shocked and disappointed that the event will not sell out.

They just want people to show on TV close to the stage . They make their money on TV and PPV. Full seats are irrelevant to them. That’s the centre’s issue not there issue

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
They just want people to show on TV close to the stage . They make their money on TV and PPV. Full seats are irrelevant to them. That’s the centre’s issue not there issue
The event is simply priced too high for this market with essentially one high end fight. A majority of the tickets are over $180. Thats approaching 3 day festival territory. I think its more of a reflection of product & its pricing than the moncton market. Had they priced most of the bowl closer to 100 and the floor between 200-300 they may have stood a chance at a sell out.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 1:34 PM

I think its a little bit of both. Yes those prices are high, but it's pretty much the norm for UFC events. They can't lower their prices (especially since SMG needed the City to pay for part of it), because the "Moncton market" think it's too expensive.

While I doubt it's not gonna compromised the future booking of "Big Events", SMG (and other promoters) will surely take note and think twice when time to book events that will require higher ticket prices.

As for the Wildcats numbers, the average crowd after 8 games is 4834. If we remove the opener, the average (7 games) is 4268, which is up by 200 if we compared to the first 7 games of last season (4074).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 1:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
As for the Wildcats numbers, the average crowd after 8 games is 4834. If we remove the opener, the average (7 games) is 4268, which is up by 200 if we compared to the first 7 games of last season (4074).
To add to this, last season only two of the first eight home games were midweek (Tuesday and Wednesday), this season there have been three midweek gams (Tuesday, Wednesday, and a Thursday). Wildcats don't have another midweek game until December 5th.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
To add to this, last season only two of the first eight home games were midweek (Tuesday and Wednesday), this season there have been three midweek gams (Tuesday, Wednesday, and a Thursday). Wildcats don't have another midweek game until December 5th.
It will be very interesting to watch what the attendance is after Christmas. Junior hockey historically doesnt really pick up attendance wise until January. I predict the NYE game to have a large attendance, being downtown will make it a different atmosphere than NYE games at the coliseum. Its also the first game after a long stretch without a game (december 9th) and the only game that people home for the holidays will get a chance to see.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 8:59 PM

I finally got an opportunity to attend my first Wildcats game at the Avenir Centre last night, as they took on the Sea Dogs. My son and I got there early and paid $10 to park at the Tangerine lot. It took about a minute to get in, so we decided to walk around the uppermost row of seats. There is literally not a bad seat in that arena. The sightlines are excellent. Once the game started, we were immersed in it. The sights and sounds were awesome, and with Moncton winning 5 - 2 it was a very entertaining experience. Can't wait to go again.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 12:48 AM

So apparently Codiac transportation will extend service on Sunday wildcat games now https://www.facebook.com/14658561103...2568234018166/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces