HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I also noticed that when a dead tree is removed, the city rarely replaces it. Example the center boulevard on Main St between 360 Main and BellMTS.
1st problem with boulevard trees is the salt kill in the spring. 2nd cause of trees being removed are MVA's, number 3 is the normal diseases that trees get.

Not sure whats going to happen with the repaving of Fermor to St. Annes but the existing tree wells in the center dividing boulevard were bricked in years ago because the young trees kept dying.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:07 PM

New tress were just installed on St. Mary at Hargrave. Previously they were stumps hacked down to ground level.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:10 PM

the streetscaping along Hargrave leaves a bit to be desired in that they didn't install any new streetlighting alongside TNS. the SHED lights, although LED, aren't that bright for sidewalk illumination and the block between graham and st. mary is dark with only lighting placed on the east side.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the city just planted a bunch of white willow trees in the centre median of portage. they can do quite well on major routes (as seen on Pembina). problem is, they already look dead as the city hasn't watered them enough in this heat *womp womp*
Are they White Willow trees or Russian Olive? I thought they looked like Russian Olive and know those trees are tough as nails.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Are they White Willow trees or Russian Olive? I thought they looked like Russian Olive and know those trees are tough as nails.
Russian olive! that's the one! ya both are tough. either way, they should be taken care of in this heat or not bother planting them until it cools down at least.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I also noticed that when a dead tree is removed, the city rarely replaces it. Example the center boulevard on Main St between 360 Main and BellMTS.
I believe they've changed the tree planting plan for Main.

Two trees were cut down late 2015 in front of La Carnita, then Fox & Fiddle (Main @ McDermot). They've just had big holes to the wells since then, but La Carnita was (nicely) granted a much larger patio this year. Unfortunately it forced people to navigate directly around the holes since nothing was ever done about them, a nightmare for people with mobility issues.

Last week they finally filled in the hole right in front of the patio, and replanted the one closer to the bus stop.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:24 AM

^ Those holes were awful, I can't believe that was allowed for so long without any corrective measures.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Those holes were awful, I can't believe that was allowed for so long without any corrective measures.
I know, and they're in many places all along Main. These ones specifically were empty holes for nearly 3 years. It's bad enough when the city lets median planters remain empty and look awful, but these and many others are a serious public safety issue. It's an utter embarrassment.

What's even more dumb is that they have replanted numerous trees this year reusing these concrete hole-style planter, and the very old rust-colour (probably used to be black) metal grates with massive openings. Both these allow a TON of debris and garbage to get in, and make it VERY difficult for trees to survive, let alone thrive. The newer SHED-style bed covers are much better at keeping harmful debris out while allowing water and oxygen to get to the base.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:46 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

New page, and it's been a few posts into this page to bring this here. SMH guys...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:24 AM

Holes are good. That's how we got a brand new concrete back lane on Donald. There were two big holes in the middle of the lane for years and after a big rain a person stepped in the hole and broke their leg. They sued the city and we got a new lane. Five years later the 2 holes are back in the same spots. Just not as deep yet.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:14 PM
Ignore these four words.

^^^Sorry Jabroni. Fell asleep at the wheel.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 2:50 PM

If find it a little odd (read: dumb) that the city now using the same size curb cuts on all sidewalks, regardless how busy an area is. There are tons of pedestrians on Graham, and it's about to get much busier (not to mention arena events), yet the curb cuts at Graham & Hargrave (see photo above) are as tiny as ever. Look at them compared to the crosswalk markings – half the size! It's not like they're hard up for sidewalk space.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If find it a little odd (read: dumb) that the city now using the same size curb cuts on all sidewalks, regardless how busy an area is. There are tons of pedestrians on Graham, and it's about to get much busier (not to mention arena events), yet the curb cuts at Graham & Hargrave (see photo above) are as tiny as ever. Look at them compared to the crosswalk markings – half the size! It's not like they're hard up for sidewalk space.
The answer is that the city does a crap job of managing sidewalks generally. We already mentioned the ankle-breaking holes that lurk on sidewalks. What about sidewalks like Portage Avenue that are over 15 feet wide at some points but are so cluttered with junk that you end up with awkwardly narrow pinch points like by the Portage Place bus shelter? The tiny curb cuts you mentioned are consistent with that oblivious approach to sidewalk design.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:00 PM

^Yeah. And the forgot to connect the wayfinding strip on the SW corner (bottom right in that photo) to the curb, inconsistent with the other corners. Will be interesting to see the design for when they raise the intersection...depending how far it goes they may need to put some sort of barriers up to make sure people actually cross at the crosswalk.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:34 PM

Looks like Hydro crews on site at Sutton Place. They're all parked along St. Mary, but are hauling in signs in and around the site. Signs of the site springing to life? Hopefully.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Looks like Hydro crews on site at Sutton Place. They're all parked along St. Mary, but are hauling in signs in and around the site. Signs of the site springing to life? Hopefully.
Hopefully indeed! This was taken from true north’s press release last December

Quote:
Tower 2, 225 Carlton, comprised of boutique offices and high-end residential units, has reached 18 of 25 storeys and will be completed by spring 2019. Construction of towers 3 and 4, Sutton Place Hotel and Residences at the northwest corner of Carlton Street and St. Mary Avenue, will break ground in spring/summer 2018.
http://www.tnse.com/news/true-north-...s-new-heights/

Let’s hope by the end of the summer we see something going there

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:51 PM

Most of the trucks have left but one is still set-up closer to Edmonton. They put some signs and stuff in around the site trailer that's been there for a while now. Maybe its for something else and I jumped the gun on my celebrations!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Most of the trucks have left but one is still set-up closer to Edmonton. They put some signs and stuff in around the site trailer that's been there for a while now. Maybe its for something else and I jumped the gun on my celebrations!
You might have been right, we should be expecting activity to pick up soon. Everything else regarding TNS has been on schedule

I have a feeling we won’t see meaningful activity until towards the end of August but I’m expecting to see something this month or next. If you traverse by there regularly then please do keep us informed!

Something happening there on the site is better than nothing there haha

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Russian olive! that's the one! ya both are tough. either way, they should be taken care of in this heat or not bother planting them until it cools down at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I believe they've changed the tree planting plan for Main.

Two trees were cut down late 2015 in front of La Carnita, then Fox & Fiddle (Main @ McDermot). They've just had big holes to the wells since then, but La Carnita was (nicely) granted a much larger patio this year. Unfortunately it forced people to navigate directly around the holes since nothing was ever done about them, a nightmare for people with mobility issues.

Last week they finally filled in the hole right in front of the patio, and replanted the one closer to the bus stop.
Update – the new median trees do look like Russian olive – noticeably different from the rest.

Also, the city actually just filled the old tree holes on Main (that weren't replanted) with mulch. Insane. Someone is going to get seriously injured.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 10:33 PM

@truenorthsquare
More
Pleased to tour @TDSLaw employees through their soon-to-be-open offices at 242 Hargrave!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan