HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 6:07 AM

Talking What street's name sign in your town/city is the most likely to be stolen?

Some places have streets with popular, funny or unusual names and sometimes people will try to steal those signs.

For example, I was in Lewisporte, NL last Summer. My wife and I saw that there is a Dildo Street there (on our GPS) , a name commonly used in the province but still funny. We noticed that ALL of the street signs were missing. Obviously they would be popular due to the name.

Where I live, in Timmins, ON, there is a Toke Street. It is actually one of the oldest streets in the city. The name is obviously popular with the marijuana smoking crowd. I believe that at least one or two of the signs along the street have been stolen at one time or another. It is most likely the most sought after street name sign here.

So what street's name sign is the most likely to be stolen where you live?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
be nice to the crackheads

The Thrasher St. sign in Kelowna went missing numerous times. I know where one of them went.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 1:43 PM
恭喜发财!

From the 'names that sound funny because they're in a different language' file, I'd say the funniest street name in Shanghai from an English speaker's perspective that I've seen is Long Dong Avenue.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 2:21 PM

Here's one I can think of for Toronto... these maps were always missing above doors on TTC trains:

http://eyesoftheunderground.wordpres...tc-subway-map/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 4:29 PM

It's not in my city but once I was driving down I-75 in Detroit when I saw a sign for Big Beaver Rd. The best part was that it was exit 69. Most innuendo I've ever seen on one BGS.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 5:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yes, any signs for Dildo need to be chained down here.

In St. John's, probably George Street or any of the unusual names: Hill o'Chips, The Dardanelles, etc.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 6:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In Ottawa there is a street called Abbey Road where the signs tend to disappear. Ottawa street signs today are nothing special but they used to look like this which is what I preferred:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqZ,!l4FGH(GN)GNBRpS98pmi!~~48_35.JPG

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 7:52 PM

I don't live in Yellowknife but I saw them mention this road on TV before. This sign is a keeper.

Quote:
Ragged Ass Road is a well-known street in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories; Tom Cochrane named his album Ragged Ass Road after it. The street itself was named by Lou Rocher and his friends after a season of hard work and no profit; they were sitting around one night, drinking and joking that they should call their street Ragged Ass Road, as the term "ragged ass" meant dirt poor, which is what they were after a long season of prospecting, so, jokingly, they made a sign and put it up on the street.[1] The City of Yellowknife later officially adopted the name.
Ragged Ass Road is one of the most popular Yellowknife street names, and the street sign has been stolen so many times it was eventually welded onto the signpost, and replica signs were made to be sold to tourists.[2]
It was once known as Privy Road because there were many outhouses on it. Back in the 1940s, Ragged Ass was the name of a mine situated on Hidden Lake, the Ragged Ass Mine, as well as a mining syndicate of the same name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragged_Ass_Road_(street)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 8:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Bomber Shop still sells Milt Stegall Drive street signs... I'm sure that a few of the real thing have been nicked by football fans too.

Of course, now that the old stadium is gone, it's a little out of place being in an industrial area nowhere near a football field!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:19 PM

In Kingston we have Bay Street and Bagot Street. Nothing unusual about them, but these streets intersect - Bay & Bagot. That could be easily misheard as a homophobic slur. Other than that there's no remotely strange street names here.

London does have Hyman Street. Different spelling, but same pronunciation as a certain other word. No idea if those street signs get stolen.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
In Kingston we have Bay Street and Bagot Street. Nothing unusual about them, but these streets intersect - Bay & Bagot. That could be easily misheard as a homophobic slur. Other than that there's no remotely strange street names here.

London does have Hyman Street. Different spelling, but same pronunciation as a certain other word. No idea if those street signs get stolen.
Kitchener's version has a Germanic twist in the form of Heiman Street. No really unusual ones that I can think of, just a bunch that can leave outsiders wondering how to pronounce them (eg Euler, Breithaupt and Weber Streets, Pequegnat Ave).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:35 PM
I'm cheap

Probably Stony Plain Road or Whyte Avenue in Edmonton.

Where I grew up on near Campbell River, BC there's Seamen Road. I'm surprised that one hasn't been stolen.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:43 PM
Hammer'd

High Street on Hamilton mountain gets stolen fairly often, given it's proximity to a high school. At Brucedale and High Street the sign for High is actually fasted to the pole about 5 feet higher than usual as a deterrent. It looks pretty odd.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 10:59 PM

"69 Street" in Calgary used to be a popular target. It is now too much of a main road.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 11:24 PM
I am a typical

High Street and Cumming Street. High Street has two high schools on it so naturally...

Cumming Street is in a poor neighbourhood; last year at a Halloween party I saw a girl dressed up as a prostitute, with a fake street sign for Simpson and Cumming strapped to her back; the area has a bad reputation. It's just a few blocks away from me! I've asked the city to rename one of the cross streets to Seaman but to no avail.

Down the street from me is a street called Wiley. Unfortunately, Coyote Street already exists in the city, so we can't get that name combination.

John Street Road has been stolen a few times as well because it's a very unusual name. A friend of mine when I was a kid had a John Street Road sign in his rec room.

Not sign related, but the postal code for the village of Murillo, just west of Thunder Bay, is P0T 2G0 - Pot 2 go.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:54 AM
Nashwaaksissy

No real odd street names in Fredericton, but there's a highway 420 on the Miramichi that gets its signs stolen a lot.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 6:15 AM

I know it has been stolen a few times in the past. McCool Avenue

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 3:13 PM

I knew someone from the UK who moved to Calgary and liked "Shaganappi Trail". It might be too much of a major route to swipe a sign.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Not sign related, but the postal code for the village of Murillo, just west of Thunder Bay, is P0T 2G0 - Pot 2 go.
The best Canadian postal code in French is G1Q 1Q9, which when read out is exactly "I've got an ass. A new ass."

It is actually assigned to a real place. Somewhere in Quebec City.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 3:27 PM
sick transit, gloria

My inner 14 year old thinks V4G 1N4 is pretty amazing. And yes, it is real:

http://goo.gl/maps/sZU35

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada