HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I always liked the skyline of Detroit. It doesn't get enough respect, IMO.
I agree totally. There are some great towers in Detroit, almost all of which work well with each other. To me there is a good balance of 'classic' 1920's-30's and more modern towers. It's a nice skyline to look at, especially from Windsor.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:30 AM
testify

1. nyc, obviously; anything else at the top of the list is unserious.
2. chicago; still the second city in america for skyline, even if it's no mexico df for density or los angeles for international importance.
3. tough call, but i'll go with toronto. that toronto had its booms at the worst architectural times has created one of the world's most bland significant skylines, but it's impossible to deny how impressive it is in scale and scope, and it's only set to improve over the coming years as literally dozens of projects build out and a slightly more interesting architecture develops.
4. another tough call, but i think i'll say san francisco, solely based on the majesty of the environment, as well as the glory of the transamerica pyramid on the skyline, one of the world's brutalist masterpieces.
5. miami, probably the continent's most phantasmagorical skyline, a sort of love it/hate it profile that i really appreciate.
6. philadelphia, the classic under-rated u.s. skyline, so many different styles and colors, a beautiful thing to behold, even if walking around high-rise downtown is sort of unpleasant (but the rest of town away from the freeways is great!).000
7. vancouver, a shockingly dense little skyline on the downtown peninsula there, that suffers from the same problem as toronto, ie. monotony and almost straight-up ugliness, but that is still spectacular for a north american city, come a long way in a short time.
8. boston, phoned in, old and ugly, i can't stand this skyline, but it's impressive for scale.
9. mexico, df - i'd probably live here before i'd live in 99% of anglo-north american cities, but the skyline has a european sort of balance to it, prioritizing the street life and restricting height. still, viewed from on high, the scale and majesty of the city is something to behold, even if it's tough to call it a great skyline per se.
10. los angeles, i imagine it exploding over the next two decades, but it's still a pretty impressive skyline by north american standards.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 5:58 AM
ARTchitecture

I agree with your stance of Mexico City, especially with the towers they have UC right now and just the amazing history, and layers of history, the city has.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada